Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Known Issues?

Wopa

Hi chaps (I'm new here, go easy)

My little lady has reported some problems on her way home with the Corolla she has and I was wondering if you guys had any insider knowledge on the problem before I dive into the engine bay.

When she was driving along in 4th/5th gear in her 04 2.0 D4D, she says the engine seemed to lose power and she couldnt accelerate no matter how heavy her foot was. After a grumble there was a big puff of black smoke from the back and it seemed ok. Its done this 3/4 times and apparently changing down gears seems to help.

The car has approx 100k on it, and hasnt really ever had any other problems. The only unrelated problem I have noticed previously is a VERY heavy clutch, but it has been like this for 4 years now, she seems to think its just a feature of the car?

My initial thoughts are throttlebody/maf/egr/injector/dpf problems which I will look at in that order, unless you guys have any 'known' issues/niggles with this car that will help?

Have you gone out and tested that yourself at all the replicate the issue?

It may be turbo lag in the wrong gear.

Havent driven it myself, the problem first happened on the motorway in 5th doing just a shade over 70 when she tried to overtake it wouldnt go anywhere and slowed down to 65 before she pulled into the slow lane and booted it, then after a short delay there was a great big puff of smoke and the car seemed to go.

This then happened in 4th gear on another road doing ~45 uphill, again, nothing until a big puff of smoke.

Thats how the story goes, she's not a complete numpty.

Hi chaps (I'm new here, go easy)

My little lady has reported some problems on her way home with the Corolla she has and I was wondering if you guys had any insider knowledge on the problem before I dive into the engine bay.

When she was driving along in 4th/5th gear in her 04 2.0 D4D, she says the engine seemed to lose power and she couldnt accelerate no matter how heavy her foot was. After a grumble there was a big puff of black smoke from the back and it seemed ok. Its done this 3/4 times and apparently changing down gears seems to help.

The car has approx 100k on it, and hasnt really ever had any other problems. The only unrelated problem I have noticed previously is a VERY heavy clutch, but it has been like this for 4 years now, she seems to think its just a feature of the car?

My initial thoughts are throttlebody/maf/egr/injector/dpf problems which I will look at in that order, unless you guys have any 'known' issues/niggles with this car that will help?

Havent driven it myself, the problem first happened on the motorway in 5th doing just a shade over 70 when she tried to overtake it wouldnt go anywhere and slowed down to 65 before she pulled into the slow lane and booted it, then after a short delay there was a great big puff of smoke and the car seemed to go.

This then happened in 4th gear on another road doing ~45 uphill, again, nothing until a big puff of smoke.

Thats how the story goes, she's not a complete numpty.

hello, clean egr valve first, same thing happened to my avensis 2.0 d4d same engine in the corolla 1cd-ftv

also try redex, millers or bg244 or any other good additive.

I tend to stay away from supermarket fuel as-well.

if still a problem. check fuel filter.

when was it last serviced?

dont think it has a dpf? :g:

Have tried the 'Italian tuneup' method of hoofing it in 3rd for a while. Doesnt seem to have helped. Going to run some V-Power and Cleaner through until I have a chance to open her up.

Have tried the 'Italian tuneup' method of hoofing it in 3rd for a while. Doesnt seem to have helped. Going to run some V-Power and Cleaner through until I have a chance to open her up.

sorry i should of put on the previous post to clean the EGR valve.

please click on the link below for help. should be same engine.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114711

Thanks for that, should make things a little easier :)

Is there some Toyota software that I can use with an ELM/OBDII cable to read errors?

Just taken the MAF out and it's looking like the likely culprit. Cleaned the EGR, though it was not as bad as I was expecting.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to update the thread, MAF and EGR were both cleaned and car has been fine since. I suspect it was the MAF as the EGR wasn't as bad as I've seen.

Just to update the thread, MAF and EGR were both cleaned and car has been fine since. I suspect it was the MAF as the EGR wasn't as bad as I've seen.

Thanks for the update, nice to know the outcome of a post.