Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Smell In Cabin

My first toyota

Hi folks...

I hope you guys can help. I had my EGR valve cleaned today. Full service was done yesterday. After the EGR valve was cleaned I drove the car and it felt fine.

However after the car cooled down, I started it up, put on the heaters and immediately noticed a strong chemically smell coming through the air vents. I think they're exhaust gases.

What could that be?

Car is a 2004 2.0 d4d.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi folks...

I hope you guys can help. I had my EGR valve cleaned today. Full service was done yesterday. After the EGR valve was cleaned I drove the car and it felt fine.

However after the car cooled down, I started it up, put on the heaters and immediately noticed a strong chemically smell coming through the air vents. I think they're exhaust gases.

What could that be?

Car is a 2004 2.0 d4d.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

have you tighten EGR bolts well ?

Make sure the bolts are to the correct torque (Don't over tighten) and the gaskets have been put back on when they cleaned the EGR vavle! Was the fuel filer changed? It could be a spill when it was changed or a hose leak...

Chances are your assessment is correct (strong chemically smell) and its simply products used or spilled during the work. Unlikely to be exhaust gases as if they smell strong and chemiclaly then your engine is in trouble. Give it a few days and see if it clears. If you are concerned pop it back to the garage and ask them to take a look. Did you use the heaters when you first picked it up?

I took it back first thing this morning. They checked it out and said that the valve is fitted correctly because thats what I first thought.

They say if it was fitted incorrectly or loosely then we'd be able to see smoke coming from the egr valve. You can't. No matter how much you rev it. Iv been told to bear with it for a few days to see if it gets better because all they used to clean it was diesel so the excess spillage should evaporate and leave the cabin smell free.

To be fair I did about 10 miles or so today just local driving and it seems half better but that could because of the air freshner I bought to combat the smell lol.

Never heard of using Derv to clean a EGR valve! Thought carb cleaner would have been better!!! But you live and learn... :eat:

Well tbh I feel its been a waste. The EGR valve wasnt even clogged or half clogged. In fact I remember the guy taking it off and having a look and saying 'yeah thats pretty clean' but I told him to clean it as best he could anyway since it was off and Id be charged for the labour.

Fuel filter was done 2 days ago and I have noticed better fuel economy since then so maybe this has a been a waste of time and money.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links