Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dim Headlights

rambler

Hi all

In the last few weeks i've noticed that my headlights seem to be getting dimmer ,the see through plastic at the front has become very slightly yellow. ( i reckon this is just through ageing of the plastic ).

As usual,i keep the height setting on 1 for just me driving,or 2 or 3 if loaded up.

I've never had new bulbs put in , in 8 years,as none have blown as yet ( which suprises me,as i've never had any vehicle with bulbs that have lasted like this ).

Which leads me to another point,do Genuine Toyota bulbs have better elements ?...as ive never known any vehicle bulbs to last this long ?

So far in 8 years i've only had a side light bulb blow.

The chances are that those original bulbs are now on their last legs & will need replaced soon. Personally I'd be changing the bulbs now for 2 reasons. You don't want them popping on a night run somewhere & find they're difficult to swap, plus the improvement they'll bring will be obvious.

The chances are that those original bulbs are now on their last legs & will need replaced soon. Personally I'd be changing the bulbs now for 2 reasons. You don't want them popping on a night run somewhere & find they're difficult to swap, plus the improvement they'll bring will be obvious.

Is your avatar phoaty taken ootside Morrison Motors in That Turriff, Paulo.....?

Must agree with Paul there, Jamesy boy.....get those bulbs packed off to Antiques Roadshow.....unlike me, they have run oot of gas.....and get some Osram Nightbreakers in.....muchos brighteros, muckero.

Big Kev

,,,,and await Jamesy Firemac coming on to tell ye how to un-yelloficate your headlights......he will offer you the loan of his wife's toothbrush, then....ready Gus?......You'll wonder where the yellow went, when ye brush yer lights (TEETH) with.........?????

I would go and upgrade yor bulbs. There are some much better upgrades you can get that dont cost the eath

See here

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=171

USe Code: ACI005 and you can get a club discount too!

Is your avatar phoaty taken ootside Morrison Motors in That Turriff, Paulo.....?

Must agree with Paul there, Jamesy boy.....get those bulbs packed off to Antiques Roadshow.....unlike me, they have run oot of gas.....and get some Osram Nightbreakers in.....muchos brighteros, muckero.

Big Kev

,,,,and await Jamesy Firemac coming on to tell ye how to un-yelloficate your headlights......he will offer you the loan of his wife's toothbrush, then....ready Gus?......You'll wonder where the yellow went, when ye brush yer lights (TEETH) with.........?????

Indeed. I recommend Arm & Hammer Advanced White applied with an Oral-B leccy toothbrush. Word of warning though - don't let the wife see you putting her brush head back.......

Osram Nightbreakers being fitted monday Kev,and not by Toyota !!,had a look myself ....but the rubbery,boot behind the headlight looks iffy to remove,so letting my local garage do it for a few quid.

They are doling the rears as well.

What nightbreakers as rear lights, cor that will stop BMW boys disappearing up your exhaust..... :)

he he he.......now thats an idea !.

Cor.....if i fitted some more auxillary driving lights to the back of my rav.....on a separate switch. :g:

That would stop all those b*****s who keep blinding me......or who get way way to close.

Is your avatar phoaty taken ootside Morrison Motors in That Turriff, Paulo.....? (Big Kev)

Yup - sure is ! Have you been there ?

Is your avatar phoaty taken ootside Morrison Motors in That Turriff, Paulo.....? (Big Kev)

Yup - sure is ! Have you been there ?

Och aye min......and bought ma first Rav from Albert at Crown Motors up the road....good peeps....highly remoccended.

Big Kev

Hi Jamie,

Yes - Osram Nightbreakers are definitely the way to go. Easy to fit, good price, and available anywhere. Terrific white light.

Why do Toyota original bulbs last so long? My theory is that car manufacturers (and not just Toyota) are keen to present a new vehicle to the customer that will have the absolute minimum of "service items" that fail during the warranty period. This includes bulbs and Wiper Blades, and probably clutches and brake pads too. This reinforces an impression of a hugely reliable and trouble-free vehicle, which possibly runs through the warranty period, and right up to the point where many owners would trade in for another! It's a marketing thing, which I'm sure any Marketing Department would deny, claiming instead it is just a matter of ex-factory excellence.

It appears that replacement items, genuine and 'good' though they are, just don't last as long. Then, a substantial income is designed to be made from spares, after all.

For headlight bulbs, the light output does drop after many years, so it's worth replacing now any again. Stick to premium established brands such as Philips or Osram, where you will get consistent light output over time and between individual lamps, not always available with cheaper makes.

Worth, too, if you have rectangular front fogs (as in my avatar), removing the internal bulb cover (the chromey piece of metal inside the lamp). With the original 51W bulb, the useful light output seems almost tripled. This has been written up elsewhere - just search Front Foglights.

Atb,

Chris

Hi Jamie,

Yes - Osram Nightbreakers are definitely the way to go. Easy to fit, good price, and available anywhere. Terrific white light.

Why do Toyota original bulbs last so long? My theory is that car manufacturers (and not just Toyota) are keen to present a new vehicle to the customer that will have the absolute minimum of "service items" that fail during the warranty period. This includes bulbs and wiper blades, and probably clutches and brake pads too. This reinforces an impression of a hugely reliable and trouble-free vehicle, which possibly runs through the warranty period, and right up to the point where many owners would trade in for another! It's a marketing thing, which I'm sure any Marketing Department would deny, claiming instead it is just a matter of ex-factory excellence.

It appears that replacement items, genuine and 'good' though they are, just don't last as long. Then, a substantial income is designed to be made from spares, after all.

For headlight bulbs, the light output does drop after many years, so it's worth replacing now any again. Stick to premium established brands such as Philips or Osram, where you will get consistent light output over time and between individual lamps, not always available with cheaper makes.

Worth, too, if you have rectangular front fogs (as in my avatar), removing the internal bulb cover (the chromey piece of metal inside the lamp). With the original 51W bulb, the useful light output seems almost tripled. This has been written up elsewhere - just search Front Foglights.

Atb,

Chris

Hi Chris

Many thanks for all that info.....Tbh,as i'm the 2nd owner of my Rav4,ive no idea what the first keeper did,although he lives in the area ( And ive met him,a good honest chap himself ),so to my knowledge, my bulbs have never been replaced.

So yes.....monday,having bulbs changed,today....now,i'm cleaning my MAF sensor & multiplug....again,as Rav is developing hesitation issues once more.....only when its partially warmed up though,and only in 2nd gear when pulling away.

Mind you i have been driving through some big puddles in last few weeks ( perhaps i ought to avoid them in future lol ),and found some small bits of what appears to be ' white paper ' on the MAF sensor stem ( the bit that disapears into the hole ),they seem to be almost ' stuck ' to the stem.....almost......erm......damp ! ,perhaps i ought to check my air filter.

Edit.....just looked into MAF ' hole ' ,there is a good stroong metal mesh & gauze....between the air filter and the MAF,so ...by my reckoning,no paper from the air filter should get through that.....wonder what these white bits are ? ? their no bigger than an ant. ( insect ).

My old Landcruiser's headlights were dim and upgrading bulbs didn't help. Then checked earth lead from Battery to chasis. Cleaned it up and rebolted to new location and what a differance, Connection to body had corroded.

My old Landcruiser's headlights were dim and upgrading bulbs didn't help. Then checked earth lead from battery to chasis. Cleaned it up and rebolted to new location and what a differance, Connection to body had corroded.

Darn good point that we all tend to forget.....worth a wee check Jamie that earth strap sound and not corroded.

Big Kev

My old Landcruiser's headlights were dim and upgrading bulbs didn't help. Then checked earth lead from battery to chasis. Cleaned it up and rebolted to new location and what a differance, Connection to body had corroded.

Darn good point that we all tend to forget.....worth a wee check Jamie that earth strap sound and not corroded.

Big Kev

Well i'm walking tomorrow with xmas meal,and have monday off work ( last of this years holidays ),having bulbs done then,so will check earth strap in the morning.....providing its not pouring down.

Cheers guys

I wonder if this could contribute to ....... slightly slower turn over of the engine starting on freezing mornings,had Battery tested....its still 98 % capacity,and its the biggest most powerful haflords Battery that will fit my RAV4.