Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Wheel Plastic Wheel Arch Liner Rubbing Against Tyre

avensisd4d786

Hi guys, just had new tyres fitted,

tyre size is 225 45 17, standard should be 215 45 17,

On the driver's side when full locking towards the left the tyre rubs against the plastic wheel arch liner and making a noise.

Annoying when full locking, sometimes can hear it rubbing around corners

Passenger side no problem.

Did not do this on previous tyres, probably due to the tread depth not being as much as it is now.

Any advice before I take wheel off tomorrow.

Maybe it needs a clip re-attching?

any advice much appreciated

I have EXACTLY the same problem and on the same side only but , as I'm sure is the same case with yours , the wheel arch has sagged ( even an inch is enough to catch the tyre ) . Once these clips that hold the arch in place are removed they need to be replaced , they're made that way :) great thinking to stop the DIYer :) but nothing stops us :) and there are many out there at the moment , do as I did , buy a few , especially the ones with the heads that have a pozidrive screw unlock system as they are reusable .

That will almost definitely solve the problem

I have EXACTLY the same problem and on the same side only but , as I'm sure is the same case with yours , the wheel arch has sagged ( even an inch is enough to catch the tyre ) . Once these clips that hold the arch in place are removed they need to be replaced , they're made that way :) great thinking to stop the DIYer :) but nothing stops us :) and there are many out there at the moment , do as I did , buy a few , especially the ones with the heads that have a pozidrive screw unlock system as they are reusable .

That will almost definitely solve the problem

just a bit embrassing when full locking when people turn round to look whats going on...

Ha ha , yes , the only thing I do not want is for the wheel to get a GOOD grip and rip the whole thing off , AND IT WILL , believe me , I'm sorting mine out tomorrow , I'll be damned if I'm buying a new wheel arch or trying to source a good second hand one simply because I'm too lazy to fix it , and I am , I'm not looking forward to being out in that cold windy weather :) ha ha ha ha

Warning , don't FULL lock , please , try as I do ti do gently planned turning as when it does rip it off EVERYONE will be looking at you and it will be embarrassing in the financial sense also :)

Because these little plastic rivets that hold the wheel arch in place I do call it expensive to pay ( I'm living in Dublin ) over €6 for 6 tiny plastic pieces :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hallo Gents, well I had exactly the same problem but was too late and the liner is messed up. Now I need a replacement. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one for an Avensis 57 reg.

Hallo Gents, well I had exactly the same problem but was too late and the liner is messed up. Now I need a replacement. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one for an Avensis 57 reg.

A breakers yard or eBay and they aren't cheap for a bit of plastic.

Pete.

I still haven't sorted mine, lazy I know.

you can go to the breakers yard, most likely if a car had a front end smash it will be buggered as-well. or if its a common fault might be the same on the donor car,

try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=arch+liner+avensis&_sacat=0&_odkw=arch+liner&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Yes I saw them locally here in Dublin for sale for around €25 . I'm sure a genuine Toyota price would be about twice if not treble that .

Dont forget you are now running 5mm wider than before so interference is greater

215mm before , now 225mm

Dont forget you are now running 5mm wider than before so interference is greater

215mm before , now 225mm

Yeah that's right, but its fine on the passenger side just catches on the drivers side when I full lock left and reverse,full locking right and reversing is OK the car previously had 225 45 17, but didn't have much tread, has only been a problem since putting new tyres on.

Could bve as something as simple as poor front tracking adjustment, What I mean by that is, in the past someone may have carried out tracking adjustment to one wheel only to get the results causing too much "Toe-in on turns"

The adjustments should be carried out equally on both front track rod ends, Equal amounts

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links