Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise?

Paulus17

Just driving home and there was bang/thump sort of noise from under the Rav as if we had hit a big pot hole,which we hadn't.I felt it under my feet through the floor as if summat had rolled underneath the length of the car.

The Rav drove home normal so was wondering if it was possible that something mechanical had broke/snapped which isn't showing yet??

Sounds more like you ran over something like a branch or a large stone that bounced along under the car

Definately wasn't a branch Ian.the noise came from the back first and then along to the front,as i say it did seem like summat snapping,it was quite a loud bang/thump.

Yes Luke i checked that,well quickly when we got back and it seemed fine.

It might have been summat in the road which we both just didn't see,but it was just the noise it made that sonded different??

Noises can travel Paul... Unless the noise happens again I would think/hope it was just something in the road or a hole that you just may not have seen ...

If you have had a good look and all seems to be well, you have no problems like powerloss, warning lights or vibrations or wouldn't worry to much, it may just have been something in the road. If you hear it again, then its time to investigate further.

Thanks Charlie/Luke.

Well i had a better look at the exhaust this morning and that seems fine and couldn't see anything else untoward so am now hoping it was summat in the road,but it was the noise it made that i am concerned about??

Mrs P went out in it last night and all seemed fine she said,and no warning lights are on.

As i say just wondered if summat internally had gone would the Rav still drive ok? for a while?

Thanks Charlie/Luke.

Well i had a better look at the exhaust this morning and that seems fine and couldn't see anything else untoward so am now hoping it was summat in the road,but it was the noise it made that i am concerned about??

Mrs P went out in it last night and all seemed fine she said,and no warning lights are on.

As i say just wondered if summat internally had gone would the Rav still drive ok? for a while?

It's Xmas poltergeists, Paul!

I was out on a run through our local back roads with my 13-yr old lad and as I turned left at a T-junction there was a serious thump which seemed to come from the nearside front. There was nobody about, no peds, no cars, nothing. No pot holes, no rocks, branches, etc. We reckoned it might have been a fox or something similar, perhaps spooked by our car or running from another predator & collided with the front wheel or body work.

No damage to the car and all was well driving-wise after & since. Just one of those things........

For what it's worth, many years ago I ran over a dog (the animal ran from between parked cars whilst chasing a ball). I hit him at about 25 mph dead centre front of car. As I braked, the car continued over the top of him and the noise as he rattled down under the floor of the car was unbelievable; it was like rocks hitting the bottom of the car. I was sure the brute would be mincemeat but by the time I stopped & jumped out to observe the dead body, the dog had exited from the rear of the car & was running off down the road. The point is that for such a relatively small, soft body, the dog made a hell of a racket as he passed along the bottom of the car. You may have run over an animal without realising it.

Cheers Jim,but if Mrs P had hit summat the noise would have gone from front to back,as we was moving forward, but this came from the back and along to the front??

Haven't been out in it today so i just hope all is ok when she goes to work tomorrow and the rest of the week,if not it will have shown itself by then i'd have thought,if anything is amiss,i hope not??

Cheers Jim,but if Mrs P had hit summat the noise would have gone from front to back,as we was moving forward, but this came from the back and along to the front??

Haven't been out in it today so i just hope all is ok when she goes to work tomorrow and the rest of the week,if not it will have shown itself by then i'd have thought,if anything is amiss,i hope not??

Cheetah? Super-charged fox wanting a race???

Well to be honest i did put on my Deerstalker,got my pipe and magnifying glass out when i looked underneath and didn't see any traces of animal nor human hair my dear Watson :lol:

What could have gone wrong in the TB and would it still be driveable if summat had gone wrong in the TB??

Mrs P as gone to work in it this morning,a ten mile trip and all seems fine

Dont worry mate.. designed yo have a few knocks as it is a 4x4. As long as there are no ruptures to the sump, lines or exhaust then should be fine.

When i was driving through the desert in Kazakhstan we hit a big rock and ruptured our diff.... had to top up the diff for the next 4000 miles

Dont worry mate.. designed yo have a few knocks as it is a 4x4. As long as there are no ruptures to the sump, lines or exhaust then should be fine.

When i was driving through the desert in Kazakhstan we hit a big rock and ruptured our diff.... had to top up the diff for the next 4000 miles

Now that's a diff errant story....ok.....back to bed then.......

The noise wasn't followed by a ho ho ho was it? You could be in trouble on the 25th if so

Just saying! .................... :D:

The noise wasn't followed by a ho ho ho was it? You could be in trouble on the 25th if so

Just saying! .................... :D:

No John it was more UH-HO,UH-HO,UH-HO :D