Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Tyres.

Jagst

Can you tell me if you can change the tyres on a Rav by axle. That is, can you just replace the front tyres. I know years ago four wheel drive cars like Volvos could only change all four due to problems with different diameters of wheels. Thanks.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm of the old school that believes that it is important on 4x4's to make sure that the tyre diameters/circumferences are as all as close to each other as possible in order to avoid problems with the diffs. I usually swap the tyres front:rear every other service in order to even out the wear and then replace all four at once.

I don't claim to be an expert but, as long as the tyre sizes & speed ratings are the same (and remembering that you shouldn't mix "proper" winter tyres with M&S), the brand doesn't really matter.

Having said that however, it is true that no two brands are the same so you will get differences in things like NVH, wear rates, etc. between different brands. For that reason it makes sense to me to put the same brand all round. You can also very often get a better price for 4 tyres rather than 2.

But you can mix if you want to. As stated, you need the same size but it is OK to have a different brand on each axle. BTW, my full blown winter tyres have the snow symbol (snowflake on a mountain) and M+S marked on them.

BTW, my full blown winter tyres have the snow symbol (snowflake on a mountain) and M+S marked on them.

As do mine :yes:

Please correct me if I am wrong as I have never stripped a RAV diff,but those I have have have been a sturdy piece of kit and were not likely to suffer any damage whil'st doing the job it was designed for,i.e. compensating for any differance in the rolling radius that can occur through wear to the tyres in normal wear ??

I am aware of "transmission wind up" from my time in the forces but that does not apply unless you lock the transmission.

I await and welcome any comments on this.

Old timer Del

Please correct me if I am wrong as I have never stripped a RAV diff,but those I have have have been a sturdy piece of kit and were not likely to suffer any damage whil'st doing the job it was designed for,i.e. compensating for any differance in the rolling radius that can occur through wear to the tyres in normal wear ??

I am aware of "transmission wind up" from my time in the forces but that does not apply unless you lock the transmission.

I await and welcome any comments on this.

Old timer Del

As I said, Del, I'm no expert but I err on the side of caution in things like this. I've heard/read warnings over the years about the dangers of running with significant tread depth differences front to back on 4x4's & I've maintained equilibrium in the tyres ever since. No doubt technology has moved on since but I guess having balanced wear on all the tyres can only be a good thing from the point of view of roadholding irrespective of whether it's a 4x4 or not. Yes?

But you can mix if you want to. As stated, you need the same size but it is OK to have a different brand on each axle. BTW, my full blown winter tyres have the snow symbol (snowflake on a mountain) and M+S marked on them.

You're correct, Don. But isn't it the case that winter boots have the snowflake/mountain symbol AS WELL AS the M&S notation? My point was that if the tyres were M&S but without the snowflake/mountain moniker, they shouldn't be mixed with the winter tyres that have the snowflake symbol. The differences in levels of grip could cause problems if they're mixed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links