Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Changing A Reverse Light Bulb Blunder.

Ady-Rav4

Damn and blast it!

I was in the process of changing a reverse light bulb, from the inside panel of our RAV 4.2. Although fiddly, I thought I was doing fine, five minute job. The new bulb seemed to twist and connect ok, but as I reached and twisted the connecter back in place, the bulb dropped out into the reverse back lens. :o

After a bit of swearing, I got a srewdriver and stuck some blutack on the end. It stuck to the bulb, but could not line it up to get it out. Eventually some time later, it got dark, so I gave up. :(

Is it easy to remove the rear light unit? I could only see one nut to undo from the inside. Will I be best taking the whole rear light unit off or try something else?

Mrs. Ady needs both reverse lights so I've got to get on top of this pdq!

Any help appreciated, Ady. (2 years on and I still havent bought a Haynes manual, shame)

I had that happen to me once,not on the Rav but on the Meriva,replaced the bulb and was just gonna refit the cluster when the bulb popped out and smashed on the floor.

I had that happen to me once,not on the Rav but on the Meriva,replaced the bulb and was just gonna refit the cluster when the bulb popped out and smashed on the floor.

Yep Paul,

I think bulbs can be very vindictive. They all look nice and harmless enough and they can't hide anything as you can see straight through them. But they all seem to know when to play up! I'm sure that bulb I was fitting lept out into the lens and said "Now waddya gonna do about that?" The bas :ffs: ds.

Is THIS what you had to do Ady??

Also found out on RAV4 World that you can't get the cluster open??

So if that is the case can you get a wire in with a loop on just the right size to hook it out,or with some sticky double sided tape fixed on the end of the wire??

Gadget available like an old car aerial which is obviously tescelopic.....but has a wee strong mini magnet on the end......totally indispensible tool for this kinda drama.

Big Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Yipee! I managed to sort it last weekend.

It took me 1 minute by using some very sticky thick tape on the end of a screw driver, couldn't believed I struggled for so long with blutack when I had this in the house!

Just be carefull all you 4.2 owners when changing rear light cluster bulbs, it's a fiddly job that could end up taking more time!

Thanks Paul and Kev for your replies.

post-61378-0-43318900-1356726732_thumb.j

Well done Ady,glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

Did you feel the bulb click in place this time round??

Well done Ady,glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

Did you feel the bulb click in place this time round??

Can't remember a click like on that vid Paul, but sure shoved it in good un propper! That 4.3 looks easy compared to a 4.2.

It was still a tricky job though cause you can't see to put the connector back. You have to reach in with your hand and if it's not lined up spot-on, guess work comes into play. It took about 6 minutes just to get the connector back on the cluster!