Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Woes

The Striding Man

My wee Rav is giving me a hard time of it right now. Hard on the heels of a brake overhaul, the exhaust started blowing on the way to work last week....more expense and not welcome at all at this time of year.

Driving home something gave and the racket from the exhaust sounded like a Merlin engine from a spitfire accompanied by a knocking noise from under the drivers seat area.

Undaunted I drove home parked it up and walked away from it, couldn't be bothered checking underneath as it was raining cats and dogs as usual.

I taxed my other car ( Skoda VRS )which was laid up for the winter and using it for the time being.

Checked under the Rav yesterday and the exhaust has parted just in front of the cat in the middle section. It looks likely that a temporary repair is possible using an exhaust clamp and some sealing paste.

The rest of the exhaust looks pretty ropey so a hefty bill awaits, and if I go down the Mr T route it will cost nearly £1200 before fitting.

Really fed up with it right now and I just hope that the winter weather doesn't come to much over the next couple of months.

Still....Christmas is just round the corner so it can't be all bad.

Hi mate

It always comes near xmas! sods law

Whoile you can do some research for a better price, you will save a bomb if you get the right price. Also, some scrap companies sell used exhuasts, so you could save even more.

We had a thread about this a few days ago. Why not check out the price of a custom stainless set up - it may well be more cost effective.

If it sounds like the merlin I would like that! Well maybe not on the car lol. There is a company near me that funny enough I'm going to tomorrow to get a new all in one Sat nav, DVD put in to replace the standard stereo they also make stainless exhaust systems, I will ask how much it would cost for the Rav and let you know.

Thanks for your replies folks. I may well look into a full custom stainless system as a replacement. I replaced the rear section with stainless back in January but wasn't completely happy with it so I'm a bit reluctant to go down that route again.

The cheapest option at the moment is to garage it till after the summer, then deal with it then.

Cheers.

Total bummer Arf.....keep us posted and if can be of any help.......

Big Kev

I've got a price of ice direct Peterborough who make custom stainless exhaust. Full system is £349!

Try also http://www.pdgough.com They're in Nottingham. They make beautiful (and quiet) stainless systems, both off-the-shelf and custom. Low price s/s systems can be raspy or tinny sounding: beware!

Chris

BTW, You don't say whether you're petrol or diesel. Profile needs updating!

The OP has a Petrol model, the centre section contains the catalytic converter which is expensive

Kingo :thumbsup:

The OP has a Petrol model, the centre section contains the catalytic converter which is expensive

How expensive is expensive John??

As Kingo states, it's the cat that is the expensive part and I don't want to take the chance on bypassing it and possibly failing MOT emissions. I'm also unsure about the quality of non Toyota exhaust system parts and would prefer to be doing this only once. The exhaust system on my RAV looked original and lasted eight years so maybe it's true that you get what you pay for.

I will be looking at all options over the Christmas holidays including Toyota front and mid sections, and one of those fancy twin tailpipe Stainless Cobra back box sections. :-)

I could almost gurantee it will be original, we get very little bother with them. Price is very expensive, but have you seen how much you can get at the scrap yard for an old catalytic converter?

We have to remove ALL cats off any commercials (Hilux and the like) because the community who like to travel crawl underneath at night and just get an exhaust cutter and cut them out, causing thousands of ££££ worth of damage :angry: They only do it to weigh in the cat for scrap

All together, another reason to run a diesel . . . Exhausts last more or less for ever.

C.

Sure is, but you do get what you pay for. A genuine scrap cat is worth considerably more than an aftermarket scrap cat. That tells you something about the quality of the genuine article

Lots of scraping cats on this thread :D:

All together, another reason to run a diesel...

C.

Unless it has a cat..................

My wee Rav is giving me a hard time of it right now. Hard on the heels of a brake overhaul, the exhaust started blowing on the way to work last week....more expense and not welcome at all at this time of year.

Driving home something gave and the racket from the exhaust sounded like a Merlin engine from a spitfire accompanied by a knocking noise from under the drivers seat area.

Undaunted I drove home parked it up and walked away from it, couldn't be bothered checking underneath as it was raining cats and dogs as usual.

I taxed my other car ( Skoda VRS )which was laid up for the winter and using it for the time being.

Checked under the Rav yesterday and the exhaust has parted just in front of the cat in the middle section. It looks likely that a temporary repair is possible using an exhaust clamp and some sealing paste.

The rest of the exhaust looks pretty ropey so a hefty bill awaits, and if I go down the Mr T route it will cost nearly £1200 before fitting.

Really fed up with it right now and I just hope that the winter weather doesn't come to much over the next couple of months.

Still....Christmas is just round the corner so it can't be all bad.

I know the feeling, my Avensis has just given up, (after thirteen years faithful service). Both CV joints and the complete exhaust system required, just before Xmas as well.

C.

Unless it has a cat..................

And a DPF and a DMF!

John, Is there more than one CAT on the 4.2? The reason I ask is because when we had to replace the CAT on ours a couple of years back, I was under the impression that it was housed much nearer the manifold.

It is part of the centre pipe Jim, quite near the front of the car. Some cars (Avensis) have a CAT which is actually part of the manifold, but on Arthurs car, it is part of the centre pipe. There are a couple of types too depending on year

633111250_o.jpg

Unless it has a cat...

And a DPF and a DMF!

So I'm really glad I don't have any of these*.

Chris

* De-catted front box (original blocked up), annual opacity figure of almost zero, and trouble-free Blueprint SMF.

Unless it has a cat...

And a DPF and a DMF!

So I'm really glad I don't have any of these*.

Chris

* De-catted front box (original blocked up), annual opacity figure of almost zero, and trouble-free Blueprint SMF.

That's good, Chris. It's a shame though that you have to modify the vehicle to that extent to ensure reliability. And of course, Mr. T couldn't sell one like that, not in EU at any rate.