Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Facelifting 2004 Avensis

Mantvis

Hello,

I recently bought an Avensis '04 and my headlight reflectors are worn out. I heard its a common problem for these models.

I was thinking of getting a used set of healights which comes from the newer model '06+ and I have two questions about that.

1. Does those headlights fit the older model? Does it need any wiring or mounting point adjustmens?

2. Does the newer headlights suffer from same problem as the older ones? Is it worth to get them?

Maybe anyone has pictures of their Avensis with this done? How does it look without replacing the front bumper?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

To do anything on the headlight of the older model you need to remove the bumper

I don't think the later model lamps fit, different part numbers, even look different, I doubt the fittings are the same

Kingo :thumbsup:

I was thinking about the same thing months ago and i found that newer lamps would fit.. all the bolts are in the same position but the connectors are different. U can get the connectors from scrapayard and connect the old wires to them. U'll need wiring scheme and basic dyi skils ;)

I was thinking about the same thing months ago and i found that newer lamps would fit.. all the bolts are in the same position but the connectors are different. U can get the connectors from scrapayard and connect the old wires to them. U'll need wiring scheme and basic dyi skils ;)

Thats what I thought :) thank you for the reply :)

P.S. I have no problem in removing the bumper :) I've done that before. It's enough to remove just the sides of the bumper :)

u're welcome

In the picture I see you have different headlights. Could you post a bigger picture of your car? It looks really nice. Or is it the headlights from the 06+ model?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi waterford26 i must say your avensis looks amazing i would be interested in the same headlight upgrade as my lamps are so wet inside fungus is starting to grow, have you a step by step posted and where do you source the blackeye kit. Ps i assume there are no mot/psv issues with the upgrade.

Many thanks and a happy new year!

Hi waterford26 i must say your avensis looks amazing i would be interested in the same headlight upgrade as my lamps are so wet inside fungus is starting to grow, have you a step by step posted and where do you source the blackeye kit. Ps i assume there are no mot/psv issues with the upgrade.

Many thanks and a happy new year!

Thanks mate. Can't give you all the details of the upgrade as I don't remember all of them. But first at all.. Remove the bumper. Then remove the headlamps. Take all bulbs out of the lamp. Locate the screws which holds the glass at the back of the lamp...unscrew them. Use the heating gun gently to heat up the original sealant between the glass and the headlamp unit..3 to 5 mins. Use the flat screwdriver carefully to try separate the glass of the headlamp..u'll see if more heat is necessary. After glass removed, pull out the chrome inside surround. Wash and dry the glass and surround properly. Prepare the chrome surround for painting:

1. Use the 300grid sand paper for wet sanding ...make sure that surface is smooth after sanding.

2. Wash and let it dry again

3. Clean it with cloth and white spirit. Then use cover tape to protect the indicator lens!

4. Use the grey primer spray for plastic and wait 20mins.

5. Then spray black matt paint - 2 or 3 layers with 15 minutes pause between each layer.

6. Leave it dry for a minimum 2hrs

Then just put it all back togethe. Use some water resistant black silicone sealant to seal the glass and headlamp together. Make sure to put enough silicone!

That's it lad.

Check some vids on youtube how to remove the headlamp glass out and how to paint plastic surfaces if you aren't sure about this.

Sorry 4 my poor English but it's not my native language. Hope this will help u a bit. All this takes usually around 4-5hrs . Good luck ;-)

This mod wouldn't affect light beam intensity, so u will pass the mot...no prob. I did as well.

• 10 months later...

I hope it helps someone in the future in search for similar info.

Headlights from 06+ model fit, but...:

3x connections has to be redone (parking light, low beam, blinker).

One bracket from the bottom of the headlight has to be removed (it does not do much anyway), it is held by two screws.

You still need to replace the front bumper from the newer model, because there is a gap like 10mm in widest spot between the bumper and headlight.

I am performing a face lift on my Avensis. Will post what had to be done if anyone is interested.

Yes would be very interesting to see how you get on.

Yes would be very interesting to see how you get on.

Bumper is currently at paint shop. Still missing grille. I am hoping to get one from D-CAT, because I find it better looking. WIll take some time, but pictures are coming soon :).