Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres For T180

Branson

I'm looking for an all season tyre for my T180 - any recommendations and has anyone changes their tyres from 235/55/18 to 255/55/18?

Yokohama Advan ST80's were what I had put on after the Runflats removed, and job done competitively at a Toyota dealer.

Cannot see much benefi of adding to the 235 width.....clung like a limpet without the extra width, and remember.....more rubber = more noise. The Advans were quieter than the original Flintstone Runflats as an added bonus.

Big Kev

Yokohama Advan ST80's were what I had put on after the Runflats removed, and job done competitively at a Toyota dealer.

Cannot see much benefi of adding to the 235 width.....clung like a limpet without the extra width, and remember.....more rubber = more noise. The Advans were quieter than the original Flintstone Runflats as an added bonus.

Big Kev

And the wider the footprint the more likely to lose grip - just love to see all those X5s with super wide low profiles sliding around in the snow. May as well have skis fitted................

Good point about the reduced grip. I saw that the Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyre was highy rated - but does not seem to be available in 235/55/18, how do you rate the ST80's in the snow?

Good point about the reduced grip. I saw that the Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyre was highy rated - but does not seem to be available in 235/55/18, how do you rate the ST80's in the snow?

Never got any snow in the one winter they were on.

Wide all weather tyres have less grip in the snow or rain as the tyre cannot dissipate (Rain) or clear the snow from its self. With a proper winter tyre width then adds to the grip due to its deeper treads and multiple groves (Sipes) having greater purchase on the surface of the snow bound roads..

Another valid point that is partially a myth is that winter tyres when down to say 4 or 5 mill are goosed..

This is just not true.. Yes they are less effective as the depth of the treads are reduced so the clearing ability's are also reduced..

But they still have more wide grooves And still have the multiple sipes which help create heat and still dissipate snow slush and water far more efficiently than a normal all weather tyre with the same amount of wear...

Adding width will as said above add cost, noise, and will mean less fuel economy as resistance to the roads surface will increase

Thanks Charlie: I'm now convinced increasing the width is not a good idea, I also appreciate a Winter and Summer Tyre option is preferable but, for convenience, favour the All Season compromise - Vredestien could be on the short list, any other recommendations?

Thanks Charlie: I'm now convinced increasing the width is not a good idea, I also appreciate a Winter and Summer Tyre option is preferable but, for convenience, favour the All Season compromise - Vredestien could be on the short list, any other recommendations?

Vreds are excellent tyres and give high mileages.. I chose Vredestien Wintracs for the winter and they have been brilliant yet wear rates are comparable with a summer tyre..

Take a look on this site as you will find the answers to many of the specific questions that come up.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Kevs Advans are regarded as a summer tyre if I remember right ...

Geolanders get very favourable comments both on this site and many others.. Sometimes its best to narrow the choice down to say 3 or 4 brands and types and see what deals are like on the day !

I'm assuming you have had the BSR kit removed or are going to ?

summer's must be summer's and wise

i ve seen one raver with yokos geolandar 091A with all year round and in snow -- he liked them even with 3 mm grip in snow.

a budjet tyres do nice job and it was proven and not neccessary to empty yr pocket. it is always up to you

regards / Igor

Another valid point that is partially a myth is that winter tyres when down to say 4 or 5 mill are goosed..

This is just not true.. Yes they are less effective as the depth of the treads are reduced so the clearing ability's are also reduced..

But they still have more wide grooves And still have the multiple sipes which help create heat and still dissipate snow slush and water far more efficiently than a normal all weather tyre with the same amount of wear...

I don't totally agree with you on that one Charlie. They are far less effective at 3-4 mm (not 4-5) and at 3mm they will be ILLEGAL for a lot of countries in Europe, that is why auction websites are littered with winter tyres at 3-4 mm. They will however still perform better at 3-4 mm in winter than an all year round tyre, and are legal for use in the UK

Pedantic Kingo :thumbsup::lol:

Thanks, that's narowed the search down alot - yes got rid of the run flat system thanks to a helpful Toyota Dealer who chose to fit a set of Kumhos - I've got out of most situations with them, mud and snow, but sometimes only just! Feel something better is now called for.

I don't totally agree with you on that one Charlie. They are far less effective at 3-4 mm (not 4-5) and at 3mm they will be ILLEGAL for a lot of countries in Europe, that is why auction websites are littered with winter tyres at 3-4 mm. They will however still perform better at 3-4 mm in winter than an all year round tyre, and are legal for use in the UK

Pedantic Kingo :thumbsup::lol:

John..Part worn Tyres were popular in this country for a while some still are .. Because most European countries have as you say more stringent rules so they removed them and shipped them here where people on a budget used those last few mill of tread..

What I meant was that as winter tyres wear they become less effective as the tread blocks become shallower and therefore have less ability to disperse the snow that builds in them..

Whether we are talking 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 mill I think we agree electiveness drops as wear takes place ?

I'm struggling to see what part of my post you disagree with ?

Wasn't a disagreement as such Charlie, just a clarification about the depth, they are much less effective at 3-4 mm as they are at 4-5 mm, there is a huge drop off in performance when they get down to 3mm, just me being pedantic about the depth. A lot of people go and buy a set of winter tyres off auction sites at 3-4mm and you will not have the best out of them at that depth :thumbsup:

Wasn't a disagreement as such Charlie, just a clarification about the depth, they are much less effective at 3-4 mm as they are at 4-5 mm, there is a huge drop off in performance when they get down to 3mm, just me being pedantic about the depth. A lot of people go and buy a set of winter tyres off auction sites at 3-4mm and you will not have the best out of them at that depth :thumbsup:

On that we definitely agree.. But then I would never ever dream of fitting part worns of any description winter summer or whatever !!

I was considering ditching the Runflats with BSR and replacing with General Grabber UHP's - nice tread pattern, all season recommended and grips well in the snow. I had them on a Kia Sorento I owned and are a good mid-range and mid-price alternative to either dedicated winter/summer tyres. Any thoughts?

Me neither, :thumbsup:

Well the part worns on Funnerburd Too consisted of two at 8mm and two at 9mm, had done 4k miles, and instead of 728gbp as receipted I got them for 255gbp......part worns are us !!!! The fact they were Goodyear Ultra Grips, which seem to review well, was a further bonus. 14 months old was a deciding factor also.

Tyred Kev

There are always exceptions Kev.....

What I and I believe John were on about was the influx of tyres inbound from europe that are usually around 4 mill as owners remove them as they near the 3 mill limit....

What I and I believe John were on about was the influx of tyres inbound from europe that are usually around 4 mill as owners remove them as they near the 3 mill limit....

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Just testin'......lol.