Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lacquer Peeling

sanmiguel

Hi Everyone,

My Auris 2.0 D4D is five years old. In that time I have had the headlamp lenses polished twice, three Toyota recalls and now the lacquer is peeling off in five places. I have already had the bonnet and one front wing resprayed but it is now peeling badly in four more places. (Passenger door, roof, driver's wing mirror top, Other front wing.) Has anyone else seen this problem or have an idea of what causes this. Thank you in anticipation.

Don't suppose you park by a railway for periods of time. Have heard that locomotive brake dust can be quite corrosive to car paintwork.

Ive seen an article on this in a newspaper.

Used to work in railway workshops here in Nofolk and the carpark was next to the yard with plenty of rolling stock movement.

But had VWs then and had no problems or heard non of the other staff complain about paint being damaged on their cars.

I know you're outside the paintwork warranty but have you asked Toyota about this? Ordinarily lacquer shouldn't peel. There has to be something, other than poor manufacturing, causing this.

Were the previous re-spray jobs done under warranty? You say "four more places" so is one of the original bonnet and wing re-sprays now peeling and included in the five?

Have you had it from new? If not it might have had paintwork before you bought it

I have never seen lacquer peeling off a brand new car in recent years, unless it was subject to vandalism or chemical attack

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies to my query.

I actually live in a country area and no trains around at all, don't park under trees either.

I have owned the car from new and have already had the bonnet and one front wing resprayed which I had to pay for. The Toyota approved repair shop said it would not be possible to prove that it wasn't stone chips from the road. Well, now that it is peeling from the roof, passenger door, whole of the top of the left wing mirror and the other front wing, in my book it is not stone chips. Went down to main agent in Alicante today and they have taken photo's of the bad areas and said they will put the case to the Madrid head office to see if they will agree to do the job. As you said mrp, it is outside the paint warranty but they said it is unusual. The sales guy said he had only seen it once before.

I owned a Corolla for seven years, an original MR2 for fourteen years, an MR2 Roadster for two years and not one spot of bother with any of them. Sold the Roadster to come to live in Spain. This Auris has been nothing but problems for me. Now I wait for some news from Madrid.

Stay clear of jet washers! Them things rip lacquer off easily. You will find red cars tend to peal the most because there is something in the paint that it just doesnt like sticking too!

Came across an old thread on the Honest John website re lacquer peeling on VW's ('http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=64193')- and it doesn't just seem to be red.

Yh there are other colours. Early vw were bad for it. Alot of company's didn't use lacquer on reds cuz it always peeled. That's why u see alot of older red cars that are pink (vauxhalls)

Like it states in the link above. It will need taking back down to base coat and re doing but this will probably only last till it gets chipped then it all happens again.

My advice. Don't buy a red car again. It took me 2 red cars to learn that lol!

'A lot of older red cars that are pink ..'

Surely this is due to the age-old problem of paint oxidisation - the pigments in red paint being particularly susceptible for this. In recent years manufacturers have used a top coat of lacquer to delay this.

We've had six red cars (one of which was not garaged) and never had the paintwork oxidise.

'A lot of older red cars that are pink ..'

Surely this is due to the age-old problem of paint oxidisation - the pigments in red paint being particularly susceptible for this. In recent years manufacturers have used a top coat of lacquer to delay this.

We've had six red cars (one of which was not garaged) and never had the paintwork oxidise.

Yes this is right. However lacquer doesn't seem to stick very well to red paint hence its majority of red cars that suffer from the problem. If a stone chip occurs water gets under the lacquer very easily compared to other colours. Just make sure you stay away from jet washing. They can rip it straight off from the paint

• 1 month later...

This will be my last posting on this topic.

Having had no joy from Alicante Head Dealer on the peeling lacquer problem, I wrote to the Head Office for the whole of Europe. They eventually contacted the Spanish Head Office in Madrid for them to pass on their message to me. Yes, you guessed it! All they can say is "The warranty is three years. Recalls are for the Customer's benefit".

So, after 30 years of loyalty to the Brand, it is "Goodbye Toyotas" from me.

Thank you to all those who gave their valuable input to my original posting.

Happy motoring, Guys.

PS 26-2-2013

I am now the happy owner of a (white) KIA Cee'd with five years paint warranty and seven years mechanical warranty.

• 7 years later...
On 12/18/2012 at 8:18 PM, sanmiguel said:

Hi P34RC3,

Right on the button my friend, it is dark red.

I have just viewed a red toyota auris which has lacquer peeling from it like there's no tomorrow. My guess is something in the red paint for this model which reacts to the lacquer