Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Pump Rip Off?

Tynesider

Is it me or is my local Toyota garage trying to rip me off ?

The car (2009 Avensis Tourer TR 2.0 diesel) went in today for the free recall mods,but then the dealer said oh by the way you have a slight leak on your water pump, price £690.98 to replace + VAT !!!!!!!

To me a water pump has hoses in and out and some have an impellor inside and some a gasket, whats so special about a Toyota pump are they gold plated??

Off to the AA in the morning to get it checked out as it may be cheaper to sell the car :oops: .

What do other think !!

Mike :no:

WHAT?? i wouldnt pay that for the pump no way!! ive a 2006 2.0 D4D and they ripped me off with water pump when doing timing belt...tho the mechanic said it didnt need done!!! mines was £300 all in...dont go to them find someone else!!

Most 2006 Avensis d4d don't have a timing belt, they changed to a chain late 2005.

But it is very adviseable to fit a water pump on any that are driven by a cam belt when the cam belt is due for changing.

Pete.

The water pump is about £100 + vat the killer is the labour to change the pump which is a big job on the later AD diesel engines ranging from just under 6 hours an an Avensis to around 10 hours on a Verso, with current labour rates running around the £100 / hour mark the qutote is about right.

Do you have a full Toyota service history? if so ask for goodwill on the repair.

Devon

WHAT?? i wouldnt pay that for the pump no way!! ive a 2006 2.0 D4D and they ripped me off with water pump when doing timing belt...tho the mechanic said it didnt need done!!! mines was £300 all in...dont go to them find someone else!!

The car (2009 Avensis Tourer TR 2.0 diesel) went in today for the free recall mods,but then the dealer said oh by the way you have a slight leak on your water pump, price £690.98 to replace + VAT !!!!!!!

To me a water pump has hoses in and out and some have an impellor inside and some a gasket, whats so special about a Toyota pump are they gold plated??

Off to the AA in the morning to get it checked out as it may be cheaper to sell the car :oops: .

What do other think !!

Mike :no:

Most 2006 Avensis d4d don't have a timing belt, they changed to a chain late 2005.

But it is very adviseable to fit a water pump on any that are driven by a cam belt when the cam belt is due for changing.

Pete.

I agree with Pete. Anytime a cam/timing belt is replaced I would the water pump.

Lets just say from what I have read, Water pumps are not one off Toyota's strong points.

I have yet to come across a 2006 with a belt. the old CD engine is belt driven, the AD should be chain.:thumbsup:

Not sure which version of engine mine is,was it changed from the 2006 2.0 D4D?

car is new shape model as July 2009 reg, mileage 41.000.

Mike

mines is a 2006 belt pre-face lift...1cd engine..just the toyota tech was telling me he didnt change any on the 'homers' he done and theyre still going strong with over 200k on them..and what the hell takes 10 hours?? what has to come off to put a pump in??

Avensis was facelifted in 2005 the diesels were 2.0 d4d 1cd-ftv.

majority of 55 will be the 1AD-FTV engine. aluminium engine block 6 speed. old one was cast iron 5 speed.

so Yes yours will be the AD engine.

mines is a 2006 belt pre-face lift...1cd engine..just the toyota tech was telling me he didnt change any on the 'homers' he done and theyre still going strong with over 200k on them..and what the hell takes 10 hours?? what has to come off to put a pump in??

I have seen 55 reg avensis with new engines. have you had it from new?

nope mines is a 06 5 speed manual.1cd...and if not toyota has ripped me off with the car thats should be 05 and sold it to me as an 06...tho when i put the reg into toyota recall page its the right car colour and all??

yes mate from new.

The water pump is about £100 + vat the killer is the labour to change the pump which is a big job on the later AD diesel engines ranging from just under 6 hours an an Avensis to around 10 hours on a Verso, with current labour rates running around the £100 / hour mark the qutote is about right.

Do you have a full Toyota service history? if so ask for goodwill on the repair.

Devon

Hi Devon

As I sat in reception today waiting for the suspension mod to be done I observed 1 girl who was nothing more than a 'greeter' as you came in, another behind the service desk (doing her nails) then a floor cleaner, then a tea lady making 7 cups of coffee, 3 salesmen chatting, no wonder they charge £100/hr.

I like many others I stopped using Toyota for servicing when the guarantee ran out, my local garage fits Toyota parts when necassary and service costs are half that of Toyota and they run through everything they have done with you.

In the first 4 services by Toyota none came out at the so called quoted price, it's my first Toyota but afraid the last!

Mike

The AD series engines are totally different in their make up to the 1CD engine in your Avensis , they are much bigger and use timing chains rather than timing belts in the engine bay, more so in the Verso meaning it is a much harder job to change the pumps.

yeah tyne funny that i was in toyota today and was the same thing with a meet and greet..really no point of her being there as i can clearly read and know where the service desk is!! no wonder no 1 wants to go near dealer with them prices!!

holy god devon 10 hours tho!! well i suppose so ive had to change the headlight bulb when that went took nearly 2hours of f'n and blindin with skin removal too.lol until i found out the bumper had to come off??

nope mines is a 06 5 speed manual.1cd...and if not toyota has ripped me off with the car thats should be 05 and sold it to me as an 06...tho when i put the reg into toyota recall page its the right car colour and all??

In 2005 pre facelift Toyota introduced the 2.2 d4d 2AD ( chain ) engine and sold it along side the 2.0 1CD engine ( belt ) in mid 2006 they introduced a facelift Avensis ( side repeaters moved to mirrors ) at this time they dropped the 2.0 1CD engine and replaced it with a smaller version of the 2.2 engine the 1AD 2.0 ( chain ) engine.

So it is possible to have a 2006 Avensis with the 1CD ( belt ) engine.

Devon

Here look here's one on eBay. 2006 with 125bhp and pay attention to gear knob is it different to yours?

http://www.ebay.co.u...ef4cefed&_uhb=1

yes may gear knob is different plain rubber one..

yeah thats right devon mines like a march 06 and they changed in may/july to chain...

yes cheers devon!! was thinking i was goin mad thanx avensisd4d786 too!!

so am I right Devon in saying upto early 2006 they are less prone to headgasket problem?

i hope your right avensisd4d786....i got a t25 03 1.8vvti for a runaround and has oil problems....but there both brill motors

How many miles on it?

There's an additional water pump replacement warranty - I had mine done foc about a month ago on a T25 even though it was nearly 5 years old but like the head gasket extra warranty there are conditions/limits.

What do other think !!

if it's a 2009 I doubt that it's cheaper to sell the car & buy an equivalent replacement.

I had a leak a few weeks ago which Toyota swore was the water pump weeping. Twas not. It was the radiator leaking at the bottom causing my header tank to drop. Just a thought.

However, my car is 4 years older than yours so your radiator should be fine.