Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1997 Rav 4-Faulty Immobiliser Needs Help!

essexgirl1

Hi I need desperate help for my RAV4 as my husband wants to send to slaughterhouse! After few weeks of non use in cold spell car wouldnt turn over. Experts suspect flat Battery and turnover attempts coincided with causing immobiliser to kick in.

Electrician had a go at it and managed to start once. After being told to use keys and not fob to open door, on 2nd attempt key wouldnt open door and entered via passenger door and back to square one-car wont turn over. I am happy to lose the immobilier and alarm if I could get someone to just take them off but no one knows how. Loathed to sell for scrap as recently bought new clutch and steering rack and car in good condition with relatively low mileage. Please help with any ideas of who can correct this and idea of cost. I appreciate a car of this age isnt valuable but I have owned it for about 12 years and am very attached to her:-)

You say flat Battery was suspected,was it charged fully and then given a proper check to see if it was OK?

That would be my first course of action on this car.

Also the immobiliser and alarm are not connected,if you tried to,say,start the engine without the correct responder key this would not set the alarm off.

Perhaps a few more details of what has been done would help more learned members on here to help

Your attachment is perfectly understandable as Ravs have that effect on owners, as many on here will testify

Keep the faith

Del

Hi Del

• Thanks for trying to help! Behind dashboard there is a box that has toyota/fujitsu on it. Electrician unplugged this first time then plugged back in and car started. Then it ran ok when started second time and husband took for drive. Following day I couldnt get key in lock so got in passenger side assuming lock just needed WD40, back to square one-wouldnt turn over again. Electrician is being told if he can trace original wires where this box is wired to he may be able to disconnect and re-connect original wires. Any help/advice would be appreciated. I just want to be able to drive car and happy to use key manually in future and do not care if I no longer have an imobiliser or alarm but the electrician doesnt himself know how to disconnect and thinks if we could it could be very time consuming and not worth cost on 1997 model and he does not know anyone who can help and only suggestions received are selling for scrap:-( !!!

I am pretty sure that the immobiliser only stops the engine from firing up but allows the starter motor to operate.

If so this not turning over could be

(a) Battery failing to hold it's charge.or that the alternator is faulty and not charging

(B) dirty or loose Battery connections,causing a lower than 12 volt to reach the starter

©dirty or burnt contacts in the starter solonoid.These can be cleaned or replaced if the starter motor is OK

(d) faulty starter motor

(e) a loose or dirty earth strap from the engine to the body or from the body to the Battery earth

There have been cases where the contacts on the ignition switch were the problem

The list could go on and on but checking these points should come after what is called a high rate dischage test or drop test on the battery whicis often carried out FOC by a good battery supplier and if the testing is done in a good way and they have the car as well then the test will tell them if the alternator is OK

HTH

Del

Hi Del, AA and electrician are sure its not Battery as car is trying to turn over but will not start even on jump pack so think this rules out Battery, alternator and starter motor I guess and they think it is imobiliser as have seen similar cases, unfortunately not with good consequences:-(

what security system do you have vs3000 or tvss iiib. also do you have more keys including the grey one and metal tag with the code might be worth trying a different key, what does the flashing led do. do you have a fob to unlock the doors as it may be intergrated.

hi i dont know security system.just factory fitted fujitsu box. Not sure what you mean by grey key and metal tag as dont have those with this car. Have tried different key. Same thing. LED flashes. Have used key to unlock door

Hi essexgirl1

Er........where abouts roughly in Essex are you please,only i know a very good car Electrician who could help you....i'm near Colchester.