Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4D Rear Brake Backing Plate 2006

Neilnow

I have just had rear brake pads/discs done at 118k miles. Garage tells me that the brake backing plates are corroded, almost shot. I have been advised that they £250 ea. therefore I have 2 Q's, firstly are there any cheaper suppliers, solutions? Secondly what will be the impact of further deterioration, will brakes fail etc. Thanks for your help from a new member!

Welcome to the Forum mate...

If they mean the black plate that sits outside the brakes and acts like a stone gard then they don't need changing as they dont have anything to do with the braking effect! Sounds like the garage is trying to pull a fast one if thats the case!!!

Hi Mistermena,

Thanks for your welcome and reply. I know the garage personally so am sure they are good. They mentioned the corroded backing plate as an observation that made fitting new discs more difficult. They advised that at £250 per plate they thought it poor value and not worth doing on a car of this mileage/age. I am thinking of keeping the car as it is otherwise reliable and I enjoy driving it.

So I am trying to establish from you good people how neccesary the repair is and if there are any lower cost alternatives out there.

Many Thanks

The problem you will have is they corrode badly and eventually fall off which causes a hell of a noise if they do

It depends how bad they are at the moment, if they are still pretty solid you could take them off, clean them up and re-paint them to keep the corrosion at bay. It is a well known condition, happens on quite a few models (not just Toyota)

Kingo :thumbsup:

If they have gone beyond repair then take a look on eBay for some or at a breakers yards! I bet you'll pick some uf for less than 20 quid... :drunk:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links