Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo/107/c1 - Only 3 Stars In Latest Euro Ncap Tests - Toyota & Ps

FROSTYBALLS

Earlier this year, with the introduction of the facelifted Aygo, Toyota removed the option of Electronic Stability Control. This, in addition to the fact that neither model had side airbags, prompted Which? to remove the Aygo/107/C1 from their Best Buy endorsement scheme, and classify them as 'Don't Buy'. Toyota and PSA promptly continued to offer ESC as an option. The Aygo/107/C1 have recently been subjected to the current, updated Euro NCAP tests, and only scored three stars - due to the absence of ESC and side airbags as standard. In response to Euro NCAP’s verdict, Toyota has committed to fitting a side thorax and side head curtain airbags, stability control, a passenger seatbelt reminder and ISOFIX mounts to the Aygo on cars sold in Europe by July 2013. Peugeot and Citroen have committed to do the same with the 107 and C1 respectively.

To be fair to Toyota, the Aygo is exactly the same as it was in 2005, it is the tests that have moved on. The Aygo is no less safe now as it was in 2005, it is the protocols and tests that have moved forward, the car has not gone backwards

As mentioned above, they will be including side air bags and VSC as standard from July 2013

Kingo :thumbsup:

To be fair to Toyota, the Aygo is exactly the same as it was in 2005, it is the tests that have moved on. The Aygo is no less safe now as it was in 2005, it is the protocols and tests that have moved forward, the car has not gone backwards

As mentioned above, they will be including side air bags and VSC as standard from July 2013

Kingo :thumbsup:

I was disappointed when I first read about it last night, but I can see your point. In fairness if/when they get round to testing others that met the standards in say 2005 or so, they might not do as well as then either. Still not good though.

Think Toyota have fallen into the same trap as Jeep did earlier in the year with the Jeep Compass. The original Compass was introduced in 2007/08, and was facelifted in 2011. When the facelifted Compass was crash tested in 2012, it only scored two stars. Yes the Euro NCAP tests have changed, and got stricter, but manufacturers should be able to plan for retests and, where required, up the safety equipment in facelifted models to maintain the Euro NCAP results. VSC has been an option (albeit seldom chosen) on the Aygo for a while (apart for a short period in the summer). I can see why Toyota need a few months to engineer side/curtain airbags for the Aygo, but, given VSC has been an option on the Aygo, why can't VSC be made standard earlier than July 2013.

Side and curtain bags were standard on the better Aygo configuration when I bought mine in Finland 2009. Also got the VSC which was very rare according to the dealer. Great that they will be standard on all models. VSC is really good, saved from spinning few times during winter.

Think Toyota have fallen into the same trap as Jeep did earlier in the year with the Jeep Compass. The original Compass was introduced in 2007/08, and was facelifted in 2011. When the facelifted Compass was crash tested in 2012, it only scored two stars. Yes the Euro NCAP tests have changed, and got stricter, but manufacturers should be able to plan for retests and, where required, up the safety equipment in facelifted models to maintain the Euro NCAP results. VSC has been an option (albeit seldom chosen) on the Aygo for a while (apart for a short period in the summer). I can see why Toyota need a few months to engineer side/curtain airbags for the Aygo, but, given VSC has been an option on the Aygo, why can't VSC be made standard earlier than July 2013.

Not really true, because my 2008 Aygo has curtain air bag, side seat air bag, and front air bag plus VSC, and they all were standard in cars supplied to Sweden after July 2007. So there is no need for new technology development, it was always there. The car testing lobby was more aggressive in Sweden, forcing Toyota to include these features early on and that probably applies to Finland and Norway too.

By the way the VSC in Aygo is rather slow responding rudimentary thing and not as quick and effective as the BMW 3 series or even to the level of other bigger Toyota cars (personal experience on icy road, it brakes the car more than adjusts the slide). I asked the Toyota mechanic about this and his reply was that, Toyota Avensis VSC costs about three times that in the Aygo and there is a difference in quality and function. The newer Aygos according to him had the same VSC as the older Aygos. There is a video clip of Aygo VSC in action, it just manages to work, I think.

Our 2007 model has side airbags. No VSC, but it only has a few bhp, so while it may mean a few marks in an NCAP in reality it offers very little in making the car safer.

Car manufacturers are informed well in advance of any changes to NCAP standards so here is no excuse.

Saying the car is no less safe than it was X number of years ago just doesn't cut it with discerning customers who see safety as priority when buying. To put things into perspective my wife drives a bog standard 2001 Honda Civic (11 years old) and it has front and side air-bags, etc., As far as I know it has a 3 NCAP rating.

"Whats a "side thorax"?

The side thorax airbags are now usually mounted within the side of the front seat backs (some older cars had them mounted in the door panels) - and are meant to protect the area from the neck down to the diaphragm (essentially one's ribcage and chest). The curtain airbags are mounted in the door rails above the side windows - meant to provide a cushion between one's head and the side windows, and to stay in place should the car roll over, protecting one's head.

I think pople get too hung up on what 'experts' think and rely heavily on reviews. As has been said before, and I quite agree, the change in NCAP ratings doesn't make the Aygo any less safer; I think it's still a good (safe) car. Safety has moved on, but looking at those changes I don't think it's leaps and bounds, it's more about safe, safer, safest. Or to out it another way, the Aygo is still much safer than any cars 10 years old.

Safe driving everyone!

Well folks there was also a bit of a fuss sometime back about the Jaguar XF "only" achieving 4 stars in euro ncap testing.

It seems that if its not 5 stars its not worth driving as far as some folk are concerned.

I disagree and suspect that a 3 or 4 star car is still perfectly safe. BMW it seems agree seeing nothing wrong with the safety of the e60 5 series when it only got a 3.5 star rating in initial testing.

They made changes after that - but considered existing cars perfectly fine (as far as i remember).

Red diesel

Yes people should get hung up about safety standards when it comes to making their choice it's an integral part of the cars performance more important than fuel efficiency or how environmental friendly it is. Caring parents most definitely will look at this apsect if the car is to be used for transporting their children. This aspect concerns survivability and reduced injuries - surely this apsect just can't be ignored.

I look at it his way would or should people pay for a brand new car with 10 year old safety standards.

The thing that annoys me, is that Euro NCAP claim the downgrading comes in light of the deletion of ESP as an option... but even though they've said they'll bring it back, they say that doesn't change anything. Make your mind up, NCAP!

The lack of ESP wasn't the only reason - it was also the lack of side impact air-bags.

Obviously survivabilty being the higher criteria.

Thanks "Frostyball" for answering my question about what a side thorax is. Like you say in some older cars they are beams in the oors. As I thought. Theyre side impact beams.

Let's be serious tho', how many people buy Aygo-sized cars because of their crash rating?

If it was a main point of concern, I doubt they'd be looking at anything smaller than an Avensis or Mondeo, probably some sort of 4X4!

As long as it's not a complete death trap, it's fine. Anyway, if Toyota want to boost its rating, the secret seems to involve sticking increasing numbers of airbags :lol: Have they hit double figures yet?? :lol:

On the old/current NCAP our 58 plate Yaris is 5* ... has 9 airbags IIRC.

Our 61 plate Aygo has 4*. It's a cheap, small car and at the time I wasn't prepared to front up another £3k to get the extra safety and build quality of a second Yaris. (Though with experience the Aygo is actually so poor I often wish I had :dontgetit: )

What I find puzzling is the rating being affected by the option of ESP. Surely there should be a rating for with and another for without - otherwise the average punter won't bother getting ESP. (Obviously when it's standard that won't apply.)

See quote from Euro NCAP below:

"Brussels 19 December - The Toyota Aygo and its twins the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 have achieved 3 stars in Euro NCAP's latest test series. All three cars have been recently facelifted from the previous models tested by Euro NCAP, that achieved four stars adult for occupant protection back in 2005. While the facelifted models are sold as new to the public, it is clear that they have failed to keep abreast of latest safety developments and standards.

Dr Michiel van Ratingen, Euro NCAP Secretary General says: 'Our test protocols have evolved significantly over the past few years. There are more tests and the requirements have become more stringent. Despite this, many manufacturers have engineered their latest cars to achieve the highest score. On the other hand, we see that some manufacturers continue to offer popular best sellers without making the necessary incremental updates to safety. It is those models that obviously fall behind other, more modern cars competing in the same category.'

The current model of Aygo and its twins lack basic items such as side impact airbags and electronic stability control as standard equipment. In response to Euro NCAP's tests, Toyota has made a commitment to make the following items standard by July 2013 in all European countries:

# side thorax airbag

# side head curtain airbag

# electronic stability control

# passenger seatbelt reminder

# ISOFIX and top-tether in rear outboard seats

PSA Peugeot-Citroen has also committed to do the same with its 107 and C1 models.

TO ENCOURAGE THIS GREATER FITMENT, Euro NCAP HAS RATED THE CAR WITH THIS EQUIPMENT ONBOARD. Dr van Ratingen: 'WITH THIS NON-STANDARD EQUIPMENT FITTED, THE AYGO ACHIEVES A THREE-STAR RESULT; WITHOUT IT, THE RATING WOULD PROBABLY HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE. Side impact airbags and electronic stability control are standard on many cars in this category and our tests demonstrate how important it is for manufacturers to keep their cars up to date when it comes to safety. As our protocols develop, cars last tested many years ago should not be assumed to compare well with more modern vehicles. Consumers should buy cars on the basis that the more recent the star rating, the safer the car.'"