Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy A Avensis 2002 1.8 Vvti Vermont

avensisd4d786

Hello guys.

I am looking to a buy a Avensis 1.8 vvti Vermont.

car has around 70 thousand on the clock.

have not yet been to view the car.

1. what to look out for???

2. should I go for the d4d engine in this model or go for pre vvti? for reliability.

3. upgrading from a P reg Carina-E, Is there enough about to break for parts? or should I go for the crusher,

4.I know they have a oil burning issue and Toyota were putting new short engines in, did it solve after the new engine.

5. steering noise/steering rack noise?

please guys any advice is highly appreciated!

looking at the threads on the oil burning issue am I best staying away?

what year is the car mate

update the seller says it has uses no oil & the steering rack was done in 2005, have rang toyota and they have confirmed this.

I've recently bought a 52 plate 1.8 vvti with a 70,000 on the clock,great car with no oil problems,,just be aware and check it out before deciding m8.

Is there an issue with steering/steering racks with the Avensis then ??

Is there an issue with steering/steering racks with the Avensis then ??

as far as I know yes. When ever a buy a car I always do my research and one of the first websites I go to is www.honestjohn.co.uk and read through the reviews.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-1997/?section=bad

Thanks for that,I did research aswell before buying mine that's how I discovered the oil issues.Mind you engines are my thing an I probably focused intently on the oil problem cos I read every bit I could find on it.

Maybe that's how I've missed the steering rack thing,I asked because although the steerings fine on mine,positive and weighty it never feels fully settled when the wheels are straight ahead.

It's ok on a smooth trunk roads or dual carriageways but it gets twitchy on the A roads and doesnt feel settled.

There's no slack in the steering,noticeably worn bushes or ball joints,I've experimented with the tyre pressures see if that's it and to be honest I sometimes think I'm being too critical but I'm not.

I had put it down to the alignment being out,perhaps too much toe out but when I saw you mention the rack in your post.

Although it doesnt feel like a rack issue.

I'll check the page you linked thnu.

Cheers Bob.

the steering wheel getting twitchy could be the tracking or the tyres may need balancing.

I rang Toyota, spoke to service she was very unhelpful and said she had no history, so I asked to be put through to parts, they guys are spot on in there.

he confirmed warranty work had been carried out in 2005 on the steering at that dealership.

You checked your messages yet?

when you let go of the steering wheel does it pull to one side.

Hello,

I changed from a 1997 1.8 Carina E to a 2001 Avensis 2001 1.8 vvti 8 years ago, and only recently changed again at 150k miles. It was a great car which is why I kept it so long! Bought it at 3 yrs old, but got a new short engine FOC shortly afterwards. The new engine used no oil at all and was much more flexible than the Carina, pulling strongly from 2000 revs and towing a 1-ton caravan occasionally. Fuel consumption not quite as good at 38 mpg average.

Problems: very few. Gearbox broke at 112k, got a 2nd hand replacement for £300 and had a new clutch plate at the same time. NSR brake caliper always needed stripping and cleaning or it would stick. Air con pump also went at 140k and that's about it. Great car now doing stirling service in a village near me.

Regards, Martin

Hello,

I changed from a 1997 1.8 Carina E to a 2001 Avensis 2001 1.8 vvti 8 years ago, and only recently changed again at 150k miles. It was a great car which is why I kept it so long! Bought it at 3 yrs old, but got a new short engine FOC shortly afterwards. The new engine used no oil at all and was much more flexible than the Carina, pulling strongly from 2000 revs and towing a 1-ton caravan occasionally. Fuel consumption not quite as good at 38 mpg average.

Problems: very few. Gearbox broke at 112k, got a 2nd hand replacement for £300 and had a new clutch plate at the same time. NSR brake caliper always needed stripping and cleaning or it would stick. Air con pump also went at 140k and that's about it. Great car now doing stirling service in a village near me.

Regards, Martin

Thank you martin, why did you get a short engine Foc, was is it due to the oil burning?

Yes, it was burning the stuff like a good'un! Probably 500 miles per pint. I'd done lots of research about this car before I bought privately, but only one person alerted me about the oil burning. So when I was discussing the car with the seller, a man from nearby Hull, I asked about oil consumption. "negligible!" was his reply. Fortunately, I checked both fuel and oil consumption right from the start. Full credit to Springfield Toyota in Bridlington for getting it fixed for me. This garage is no longer, so I'm going either to Hull or Scarborough with my 11 reg 1.8 V-matic tourer.

Martin.

what did they do to fix the problem ??

..."but got a new short engine shortly afterwards." as per above. I took it for its first MOT and booked a service at the same time. I mentioned to the service manager about the high oil consumption, and he told me that this was a known fault, and I might be able to get a new engine block, even though the 3-year warranty had just expired. This is what happened.

Regards, Martin.

the steering wheel getting twitchy

could be the tracking or the tyres

may need balancing.

I rang Toyota, spoke to service she

was very unhelpful and said she

had no history, so I asked to be

put through to parts, they guys

are spot on in there.

he confirmed warranty work had

been carried out in 2005 on the

steering at that dealership.

You checked your messages yet?

when you let go of the steering

wheel does it pull to one side.

Nah not pull to one side,it runs true if the road is even.

It doesn't feel like anything worn or defective in the steering itself just a certain vagueness/looseness when driving straíght ahead.

She's absolutely firm and steady under cornering,i can happily corner at speed with confidence as she's sure with any loading on the steering,it's just when there isn't any loading she feeĺs a bit slack which does suggest the steerings ok.

When I'm driving straight the wheels slightly turned right which to me suggests there may have been some work done and a track rod may not have been refitted in the right position.

She had new tyres,new brakes,some rear suspension bushes replaced before I bought it so I'm leaning towards something not done quite right,the tracking not checked after or as you suggested the wheels not being balanced.

Unforetunetly if there was any hint of it from tyre wear it'll be lost now as I've had a couple of episodes with severe black ice on hills and bad wheelspin.lol.

..."but got a new short engine

shortly afterwards." as per

above. I took it for its first MOT

and booked a service at the same

time. I mentioned to the service

manager about the high oil

consumption, and he told me that

this was a known fault, and I

might be able to get a new engine

block, even though the 3-year

warranty had just expired. This is

what happened.

Regards, Martin.

Aye I read your previous post just after I asked that question !!

That'll teach me to read the full thread before responding next time,what a fool,haha !!!