Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota's Tgmo 5W-30 Engine Oil?

rajivrattna

Just had my car serviced and the toyota garage used TGMO (Toyota Genuine motor oil) 5w-30 and they claim it is good even for winter driving in freezing conditions here. Who makes TGMO (Toyota does not own refinery)? Most American forums suggest that it is Mobil but I don't think so. The supplier for Toyota seems to be the same as for GM and I am guessing that it is the German supplier/refiner called Pennasol. Just look at their packaging and compare that to Toyota and General motors "genuine oil" packaging. Pennasol has one hell of wide range of oils.

http://www.fivestara...kshire-23-c.asp

http://netnl.toyota....parts/tgmo.aspx

http://www.eshop.arc...index&cPath=139

If its the same as GM oils!?... Then this has to be a bargin! Even cheaper than Opie Oils... I bought some and used code "MPG" at check out and got another 15% off including free delivery... Amazon have it as well from Powerenhancers... Well they did have last night for £14.99 including delivery for 5L! But now are saying out of stock...

http://www.amazon.co..._sc_sfl_title_1

http://www.powerenha...fic-dexos2-5w30 £17.99 (Buy more than 1 and get discounts) 5Ltr can

http://www.opieoils....engine-oil.aspx £56.39 5Ltr can

I bought 4x5L and worked out @ £14.39 delivered for 5L can! Now thats the lowest price synth oil you'll find! And Motul as well! Merry Christmas :newyear::yes:

Ps... I think you'll find that Toyota oil is supplied by Chevron oil...

Toyota will get their oils from where they get the best deal.

Toyota dealers are free to use any make of oil thats meets Toyota spec.

Doubt that Toyota brand oil is cheaper than say Mobil, Castrol etc.

Was talking to 'technician' at my local Mr Ts and said thet were using Castrol magnatic professionel oil

But were going to replace this with Mobil as they get a better deal.

When i first got my Auris which was not from my local Mr T but one several miles away.i asked at the service counter which oil they used and was shown a can of Toyota 10w 40.

But they actualy used Mobil 5w 30 in the workshop.

With this sort of aggressive campaign launched by Toyota for the TGMO oil, I wonder how many Toyota garages will be allowed to carry on with their own selection of motor oil in future. Here is the story,

http://www.madhouseassociates.com/our-services/business-to-business/a-pan-european-launch-for-toyota-genuine-motor-oil

As long as the oil meets the Toyota standards I think you'll find that main dealers will buy oils from the cheapest source.

With the Aygo, I thought factory fill and recommended was 0W20?

I know many Toyota garages will use 5W30 semi-synth. oils for changes (to 'save' costs). I use 0W30 fully synth. Castrol Edge (Costco @ circa £20 for 4L) as I prefer fully synth. oils.

Castrol EDGE is a very good "Cracked" Hydro carbon oil meeting VW highest 507 00 spec ( Untill the 508 00 comes in) but not a C2 spec for my D-CAT system, even though Castrol say that it still falls in the "Low Ash" content oil but meets the C3 standards. I bought £350 of the EDGE when Costco were selling 3x1Ltr bottles for... £9.99 plus VAT! Still got loads left for my VW TDi...

0W30 :bored: . Crikey, what happened to 20W40 from not so long ago? We'll be using water soon. (No, not tap water - very expensive 'engineered' water; naturally.)

Castrol EDGE is a very good "Cracked" Hydro carbon oil meeting VW highest 507 00 spec ( Untill the 508 00 comes in) but not a C2 spec for my D-CAT system, even though Castrol say that it still falls in the "Low Ash" content oil but meets the C3 standards. I bought £350 of the EDGE when Costco were selling 3x1Ltr bottles for... £9.99 plus VAT! Still got loads left for my VW TDi...

Hi Old Mate. As i posted sometime ago,Castrol themselves did not approve of putting Edge in Toyota diesels engines with a DPF.

But of course this oil may have been upgraded since then.

Hope this post does not start repeating and covering the same old thread again.

Jaguar did/does not aprove of Edge for even topping up but suggest if topping up is required and the professional Magnatec.castrol grade is not available then its ok to use the ' standard 'Castrol Magnatec.

Hi Old Mate. As i posted sometime ago,Castrol themselves did not approve of putting Edge in Toyota diesels engines with a DPF.

But of course this oil may have been upgraded since then.

Hope this post does not start repeating and covering the same old thread again.

Jaguar did/does not aprove of Edge for even topping up but suggest if topping up is required and the professional Magnatec.castrol grade is not available then its ok to use the ' standard 'Castrol Magnatec.

Eh up my mate :drunk:

I contacted Castrol regarding there EDGE oil and why on there web site (Oil finder) they recommended it for the 2AD engine when it didn't meet the C2 (Low Ash) spec but C3? I had a emailed responce that I posted here sometime ago. I understand that the Castrol professional grade is different to EDGE but is only avaliable to the trade (Unless eBay has some) and of higher quality...

When Jaguar brought a new DIesel out i read online somewhere that the professional grade was the only oil they approved but it was not available when the cars came on the market. As i posted above the topping up instructions.

This is strange as the Toyota where able to get it.

I still have a leaflet i picked up from my local MR T. Its described as Casrtrol Magnatec Professional C2 5w-30.

its ACEA A1/ B1,A5/B5,C2. PSA approval B71 2290.

Maybe Jaguar use a Differnt grade of this or something cos why would it not be availble for them but was for Toyota.

Ive seen this professional grade offered for sale some place other than a dealers..

Have tried to find the Jaguar story again but no luck.

It seems there is a Castrol Edge professional grade..