Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Help Please ....

CharlieFarlie

The exhaust on my T180 has gone... Its the very large box just behind the drivers seat that has rusted around the circumference and has started blowing....

I have not used the car for some months now but was forced into using it for a trip to the Midlands and its decided to throw a wobbler..

I took the car to an exhaust centre today where I was quoted ..... Wait for it 2K !! Thats right two thousand pounds !!....Yerrrr Right !!

I phoned a Toyota dealer who tells me its a section that comes from the engine right up to the rear section that goes over the rear axle that requires replacing.. Cost for this part is nearly £1100 plus fitting at £78. There is a cat converter in the section that requires replacement.

The only part that has gone is the large centre box. All the rest looks fine so I am hoping somehow it can be sleeved and just the box changed ??

Has anyone had to replace this item on a 2.2 Diesel ? Surely I'm not the first ?

Another exhaust centre offered to actually replace just the rotten centre box with 2 separate boxes and plumb the lot together... This is where I really need some advice..

They pointed out that doing this would make the system slightly louder as it will be built from stainless steel ????????? Why ?

Would doing such a modification to the exhaust upset the back pressure and maybe cause issues with the complex D Cat system fitted to the car ?

Bit confused with this one ! I appreciate exhausts rust and have no problems with that but the cost of replacement is huge !

Thanks.

Blimey another blown exhaust thread. My sympathies to you good sir. My own RAV (4.2 petrol) is currently laid up right now due to the exhaust failing two weeks ago and the £1200 bill to put it right.

Luckily I have a second car that I am using and will replace the exhaust sometime over the summer.

There doesn't appear to be a cheap way of fixing the exhaust due to the catalytic converter being an integral part of it.

Good luck with it charliefarlie and if you come across a cheaper solution, please let us know.

The problem is is that its just the box (Large one at the centre) that is rotten. The rest of it is perfectly ok so I was hoping for another 4.3 2.2d owner to point me in the right direction.

Toyota do not offer just a replacement box and neither it seems do the aftermarket suppliers so its a case of throwing a hundred or sos worth of box and a grands worth of cat along with it .. How daft is that..

Problem is I have the return journey of 360 miles on new years day and don't want to end up on the hard shoulder if the thing disintegrates..............

Could the fact the car has stood for quite some time be to blame for it going ? Or is it just coincidence ?

Charlie, how bad is the corrosion?

If the section can be removed, surely a competent welder/fabricator can sleeve/patch/wrap the offending box with a piece/pieces of sheet steel?

Cost of time and some sheet steel has got to be way less than you have been quoted so far.

So long as the joint between box and pipe is sound and not about to come adrift I can't see a problem.

Why does the stainless system need two boxes?

Charlie, how bad is the corrosion?

If the section can be removed, surely a competent welder/fabricator can sleeve/patch/wrap the offending box with a piece/pieces of sheet steel?

Cost of time and some sheet steel has got to be way less than you have been quoted so far.

So long as the joint between box and pipe is sound and not about to come adrift I can't see a problem.

Why does the stainless system need two boxes?

Its pretty much rotten right through David.. Cant see anyone being able to weld it as rusty metal is a nightmare to weld.

The guy at the second exhaust centre said it would be better to fit two boxes . This was in response to the frown on my face when he said it would make the system noisier !

What I don't want to do is spend 4 or 500 quid to end up with a noisy car...

I'm surprised that the after-market boys have not made a repair kit consisting of the centre box and sleeving tubes so it could be fitted with relative ease.

Eh up my mate...

I'm really sorry to hear about the exhaust problems that you've got!... 2 grand for one is just plain stupid!!!... Is there anyway that you can patch it up with some exhaust bandage? Or find one at a breakers yard and get the box off it or the full system? I'll keep me eyes open for one for you pal...

Not sure if this is what you're looking for...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a76a8b291

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a4e1ff14

Any chance of a photo or two of the offending bit?

Chris

as vissible MrT has not spent money to make good alloy like in audi with stainess steel tail exhaust pipes (diesel versions).

i ve been forced to purchase new one and just keep it in my garage till the moment when an original says stop

it costs money in fact/ it is so thin that an electrode arc burns it out

Eh up my mate...

I'm really sorry to hear about the exhaust problems that you've got!... 2 grand for one is just plain stupid!!!... Is there anyway that you can patch it up with some exhaust bandage? Or find one at a breakers yard and get the box off it or the full system? I'll keep me eyes open for one for you pal...

Tim.. Main issue is is that I'm stuck here in the Midlands with an exhaust that is about to fall apart and a trip home of near 400 miles on new years day.. So I have to get something sorted as I cant afford to get stuck on the hard shoulder with a disabled wife sat in the car..

I really am surprised how rotten the box is And dissapointed in myself for not checking the car over properly before starting to use it again....

I think its past the bandage stages mate.... More like the scrap skip stage !!

i think this is just a pop at Toyota , eh Charlie

No it is not ! And in response to your PM this is NOT a wind up !! I asked question reluctantly as I am in the mire and get this ??

How on earth can it be a pop at toyota ? Car is 6 1/2 years old with 67K miles how long do I expect an exhaust to last ?

This one any good Charlie?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27be932b93

Ah, maybe not - just seen where it's at................

Well that certainly looks the same as my one.. If time allowed and I thought it was in decent nick then maybe worth a punt.. But as we all know eBay can be a bargain or not as the case may be...

Chris I could take a picture tomorrow but its the large middle box shown in the link Davrav has kindly put up.. My one is rotten all across the bottom and all around the seam where the flat back plate has come apart.. It really is cream crackered..

When on the car its the lowest part of the entire system and that is why I wondered if leaving the car for months without use has resulted in the moisture settling at the lowest point and rotting it through.. The rest of the system looks in remarkably good nick !

Eh up my mate...

Tim.. Main issue is is that I'm stuck here in the Midlands with an exhaust that is about to fall apart and a trip home of near 400 miles on new years day.. So I have to get something sorted as I cant afford to get stuck on the hard shoulder with a disabled wife sat in the car..

I really am surprised how rotten the box is And dissapointed in myself for not checking the car over properly before starting to use it again....

I think its past the bandage stages mate.... More like the scrap skip stage !!

I understand mate... What you don't need is to be stuck on the hard shoulder with this car again. I'm surprised that the box has gone and that the complete system has to be replaced when the rest of it is fine. Don't beat yourself up about not checking it mate! I wouldn't have either. My VW is still on the original system after 230k and almost 10 years old!... Made me think that I'd better go and check the Avensis tomz and see how thats looking...

That box Dav found might be worth a punt if its close enough to where you are...

Davids one is in County Tyrone Ireland mate .............. :dontgetit:

Just remember, the front section for the T180 and the standard 2.2 are slightly different. As far as I can see, the T180 pipe takes a lambda sensor, which the pipe for the standard 2.2 doesn't. The part number of the front section for the T180 is 17410-26410, which is a different part for the 2.2 non-DCAT of that era.

EDIT: or at least they appear different. Perhaps the different part number reflects the fact that the assembly comes with the sensor and perhaps the sensor thread is blanked off for the "standard" exhaust.

Yes, the front section is the downpipe, catalyst and middle box as CF says.

If you don't fit the lambda sensor, I can make a prediction as to what will happen.........

Those are both for a 4.2.

As for the corrosion, hasn't the vehicle been near sea water on a number of occasions? Might accelerate the process a little.

Davids one is in County Tyrone Ireland mate .............. :dontgetit:

Ouch!!!... Didn't see that bit! :no:

In response to one of your queries, Charle, I think it *used* to be the case that a car that was used on short runs (so never got up to temp) or a car that sat around for long periods (like yours now) was prone to early exhaust holing. I thought that was an issue of the past now, but maybe not!

Similarly, you would expect nowadays a relatively low mileage car would not have an early exhaust failure. Not good :(

My Honda Exhaust had to be replaced at just 5 years and around 50,000 miles (and the manifold as well!) and the Celica Exhaust at 50,000 and 4 years, so seems that the Japanese might make reliable cars, but the exhausts leave something to be desired!

Just remember, the front section for the T180 and the standard 2.2 are slightly different. As far as I can see, the T180 pipe takes a lambda sensor, which the pipe for the standard 2.2 doesn't. The part number of the front section for the T180 is 17410-26410, which is a different part for the 2.2 non-DCAT of that era.

EDIT: or at least they appear different. Perhaps the different part number reflects the fact that the assembly comes with the sensor and perhaps the sensor thread is blanked off for the "standard" exhaust.

Yes, the front section is the downpipe, catalyst and middle box as CF says.

If you don't fit the lambda sensor, I can make a prediction as to what will happen.........

Those are both for a 4.2.

As for the corrosion, hasn't the vehicle been near sea water on a number of occasions? Might accelerate the process a little.

Car has been near but not in the sea.. Jet ski Trailer had a pull out extension bar that allowed launching without putting the car in the water.. Apart from which everything was jet washed religiously every single time I got back from the water ...

On the picture in Davravs link is the round shaped section nearest the front a cat ? Description says Cat still on the car ? Im wondering if I have been quoted for the cat and front section ? I've tried to upload a picture in order to point it out bit Photobucket is down Mmmmm Very confused here !