Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Help Please ....

CharlieFarlie

On the picture in Davravs link is the round shaped section nearest the front a cat ?

It's an oxidation catalyst which I believe they all have. Mine certainly does and it's not DCAT. I believe the DCAT engines have the DCAT stuff futher up, closer to the engine in a manifold converter, which is a separate part.

There are only 2 parts to that exhaust (well at least for a Toyota original). The first part all in one, is the down pipe, oxidation catalyst and middle box.

On the picture in Davravs link is the round shaped section nearest the front a cat ?

It's an oxidation catalyst which I believe they all have. Mine certainly does and it's not DCAT. I believe the DCAT engines have the DCAT stuff futher up, closer to the engine in a manifold converter, which is a separate part.

There are only 2 parts to that exhaust (well at least for a Toyota original). The first part all in one, is the down pipe, oxidation catalyst and middle box.

Thanks for that.. I now understand. With the scrap value I wonder why the eBay one is so cheap ? Unless of course there is very little platinum or whatever precious metal they are built from which begs the question why are they so darn expensive ?

SCHM. Do you think taking away the middle box ( Silencer ?) and adding a pair of custom stainless ones would affect the Dcat system ? Would it maybe upset the lamda sensor ? I realise it is down wind of the sensors but did worry that back pressure changes might mess things up ?

I am intending to PX the car when the new model arrives so dont want to spend anything I dont have to but dont want to mess the thing up either !

Thanks.

SCHM. Do you think taking away the middle box ( Silencer ?) and adding a pair of custom stainless ones would affect the Dcat system ?

I really don't know. I would think more likely it wouldn't, but I really wouldn't want to commit one way or the other. Sorry!

I'd certainly get another quote for just the part number above (17410-26410) or ask them to give you the actual part number or all part numbers (if it is more than one part) they are quoting you, when you give them the VIN, because 2k does sound like a complete system price, from what I remember has been said on here before.

i think this is just a pop at Toyota , eh Charlie

How on earth can it be a pop at Toyota ? Car is 6 1/2 years old with 67K miles how long do I expect an exhaust to last ?

So far as rusting through goes, for a diesel, I'd say at least twice as long as this - unless it's been laid up for really long periods on wet grass!

For a petrol, anything might happen, of course.

Chris

i think this is just a pop at Toyota , eh Charlie

Nowt queer as folk......very strange observation, que....?

When on the car its the lowest part of the entire system and that is why I wondered if leaving the car for months without use has resulted in the moisture settling at the lowest point and rotting it through.. The rest of the system looks in remarkably good nick !

Yes, almost certainly the explanation. I've had several cars whose exhausts, quite decent when parked up, which, after several months in a damp place, had just rotted away. This kind of 'storage' gets at brake pipes and all sorts underneath (unless non-rust or protected), but the exhaust is normally the first thing to go.

For a complete and quiet stainless steel system, call PD Gough & Associates, Nottingham

www.pdgough.com

Stunningly well made, chiefly for the classic car market, in a class of their own, and almost certainly cheaper than a T. replacement. Also totally rustproof, and "lifetime guaranteed".

Good luck with the repair,

Chris

I'm amazed that nobody stocks that part. Its not easy for me to check with my usual motor factor just now but I can see a couple of options. The exhaust will come apart quite easily as they have really nice fixing arrangements at the joints and very high quality bolts. The back drops off no problem and then after unplugging the lambda sensor the middle will do the same. Surely Kingo can get the price down for a new section???

Alternatively, cart it off to one of these stainless steel guys. They will make the box and some sleeves to piece it in. A like for like exhaust on a petrol usually sounds a bit more raspy than a steel system but that is because they have to fabricate what would normally be quite a complex silencer structure. On a diesel I doubt it would make much difference (they don't sound too bad with no exhaust!). You can buy a cobra back box with 2 silencers and that will not effect the back pressure so a stainless steel intermediate box won't.

I'm sure I would sort something out before coughing up mega bucks.

Blimey another blown exhaust thread. My sympathies to you good sir. My own RAV (4.2 petrol) is currently laid up right now due to the exhaust failing two weeks ago and the £1200 bill to put it right.

Luckily I have a second car that I am using and will replace the exhaust sometime over the summer.

There doesn't appear to be a cheap way of fixing the exhaust due to the catalytic converter being an integral part of it.

Good luck with it charliefarlie and if you come across a cheaper solution, please let us know.

You can get all the sections for that for about £250 (except the downpipes at the front). If you add another £100 which is probably twice as high as it needs be and if you don't mind lying underneath you should save a pretty penny.

Thanks for all the advice and help. It is appreciated !!

After a couple of hours on the phone today it seems there is at the moment no after market replacement box though one exhaust manufacturer ( Bosal I think) lists one but have not put them into production yet..

So its a Toyota only part or an after market stainless system... I have little alternative but to fork out for a Toyota part or risk if falling apart on the journey home...... I cannot get a stainless part built up till late next week.

For anyone considering buying either a Rav or one of the many cars that have these kind of systems its well worth getting the exhaust looked at now they cost so much... It also seems that many cars have such expensive systems but most have after-market repair kits available..

When kits become available for these cars the problem will be halved , Till then take a good long look at that exhaust !!

Cheers !

As a temp measure to get you home Charlie, could you not have the damaged section removed and a straight pipe fitted? Just to get you home and if you park it up again it gives you time to source or have stainless one manufactured.

I've seen these big boxes peppered with rust but never seen one rot through. I also suspect that is the reason manufacturers are reluctant to make a part that is not going to sell. I have heard of cats and dpf's being fitted but that has always been linked to the engine problems. Most boxes rot from the inside especially around the seams but if they are started daily, any moisture is just dried out. If they are left to stand then the moisture will continue to work with all the other nasty contaminants in there to rot. Its probabaly quite unusual and why we don't hear of it.

If I went to my local exhaust chappy and the local factor, I'm sure I could find a box that would fit. It would then just need some sleeves to fit it in. Take care to mark which is the front of the donor part as there is an in and an out - you don't want it backwards.

As a temp measure to get you home Charlie, could you not have the damaged section removed and a straight pipe fitted? Just to get you home and if you park it up again it gives you time to source or have stainless one manufactured.

Charlie,

This is a really good idea to get you home. As Anchs has said, you'll be amazed how quiet turbo-diesels are even with out any exhaust at all! Any decent exhaust depot/fitter ought to be able to fit a bit of straight pipe for you.

Chris

I managed to find an exhaust centre in Birmingham today who are custom building a centre box in stainless .. Chap says he is so confident he can make it as quiet as standard he will offer a money back guarantee and refit the knackered box with sleeves if Im not happy.. Judging by the quality of the work Ive seen today and the immaculate workshop he has and the general competance Im sure it will be just fine..

He says he uses high grade materials and not the cheap stuff that gives stainless boxes the bad name they have noise wise.. Cost is a reasonable £300 + VAT so Im happy with that ...

Thanks again Guys !

Thats great news Charlie :thumbsup:

Any chance of saying who the company is for future ref seeing as how they are local to me?

You can still pop in for that cuppa.

Will wait to see how they pan out Paul.. Will give you a shout if I have the time mate as all the running around has put me way behind !! Thanks for the offer Mate !!

No prob Charlie.

When will you be having the work done??

Not sure if its tomorrow or Monday morning Paul. Awaiting a call ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links