Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Diagnostics

Mar4ix

I have T22 avensis , 1.8 lean burn engine 7A-FE , '98.

It have pretty low MPG , and I managed connect up to ECU with toyota techstream with Tactrix wire.

No any fault codes shown.

I have recorded some data, could somebody knowledgable person have a look on them, and say, where could be problem.

Thanks

P.S. I could send via email, if somewone willing to have a look, for some reason i cannot attach that file here.

Have some experience with diagnostics in general.

Theres no guarantee the problem will necessarily be obvious from the data and even if there was a parameter that's noticeably out the cause may not be immedietly obvious.

Is the engine in good overall condition.Plugs,leads,Air filter,no vaccum leaks,blocked fuel filters,pcv system ok,restricted cat ???

I'll take a look at the data for you,if you want it may show up in the data !!!

Theres no guarantee the problem will necessarily be obvious from the data and even if there was a parameter that's noticeably out the cause may not be immedietly obvious.

Is the engine in good overall condition.Plugs,leads,Air filter,no vaccum leaks,blocked fuel filters,pcv system ok,restricted cat ???

Thanks for your replay.

I think car is overall in good condition, i bought it last year (2012) in june ish, changed oil, oil filter, spark plugs, thermostat (as old was stuck open), gearbox oil. timing belt goin to be due in this spring, i have kit bought, waiting, when will be warmer, ill do waterpump and timing belt, together with service. Car not really use oil, not really much. I am second owner. Passed NCT .... or in UK terms MOT , emmision perfect, .... , failed on litle things, like bulb, and alignment.

However I am not happy with it, cos green ECO light not comming up, it has pretty low mpg, ... alos every time i am driving , pretty much white smoke goes from exhaust ... not like blown headgasket (as said oil level fine and coolant level fine, not dropping), i am not sure, how to check stuck/blocked exhaust/cat . , also white smoke goes off, i am driving an hour intensively in city, or on long trip. Car usually been used for short trips .. half mile to drop kid to school, and collect... thats it.

Could you pm your emai address, id email to you that diagnostic readings.

Thanks

hi sent you my email address

bob

Hi bob, email sent with diagnostics data. Dont know, why , it doesnt show voltage at electric systems, recently discovered, that something wrong with alternator, under load (switch lights, blower motor, rear window demister) voltage drops from 14.1 to 11.6. Ive got second hand one, tomorrow goin to install. see if any differences.

Hi there Maris I took a look at the email but couldnt figure it out as it's encoded and i havent got anything on my pc that reads TSE files.Have dloaded app to my phone so will try it with that.

If you're mostly driving round the city and short journeys then I wouldnt worry about the white smoke (unless it's excessive).When you're doing short journeys mostly although the engine gets hot it's prob not running hot enough for long enough to properly evaporate all the water that condense within the engine as it cools.

As for the altenator,it will initially drop when all that loads applied but afer several seconds at most it should be producing around 13 - 14 V.How are you testing it though because if your measuring it with a multimeter as while it's idleing then that's not a realistic test because it may well drop that far and take a while to recover when it's just ticking over.

I'll get a chance to try the file with the app n see if I can read it at lunchtime

Bob.

Hi Bob, You may get software here - http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=807 , on computer may run my file, but i think you need to get registered there to get it download.

Today changed alternator (used) , changed all vacuum lines , checked ground connection and cleaned Battery " - " , car still acting. Wonder, would be problems, if i have wrong/bad plugs fitted, i think , i have some Bosch plugs there (6 months old), ..... also i think , could be blocked exhaust maybe,..... there is new exhaust(not original, some unknown make) fitted,... couple years or so ago, by old owner, and car didnt drive, when i bought it, it was ratling in middle box, i tapped with hammer, and ratling gone, ... i think, maybe something in middle box blocked exhaust, and car strugling.

Car kind of shaking on idle revs, not misfiring, rev range is 650 ish. when well warm ...... and lights go dim on idle revs (it is not problem with alternator, i fitted another one, same problems) , when rise revs, then ok, ... i would not bother, but actually i want get that car right, as pretty bad fuel consumption , around 22 MPG :( .... could be also because i am driving short distances, and car not heat up properly.

Had no luck whatsoever getting the software to translate the file,,hows the altenator belt,has it got enough tension on it because if it's a little loose that'd explain you're idling issues.

Short journeys will kill your fuel economy,,all the same 22 mpg is drastic I'd say :bored:

Have you checked your valve clearances ??