Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Verso 2.2 Burning Oil?

Dangerous_Dave

Hi all,

Bit of an alarming development lately with our 2008 Corolla Verso 2.2. It seems to be getting through a lot of oil, and there is a carbon smell coming from the exhaust (more than normal). Sometimes it's taking extra time to start in the morning too. No oil is appearing under the car, so it seems like it must be burning the oil. The car has only done 36000 miles. Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Cheers

Sounds like you have the dredded carbon build up! That can lead to Head Gasket fail due to Gasket shuffle. But the good news is that there is an extended goodwill warranty from Toyota that covers cars upto 7 years old and 112k. So by the sounds of it you're covered. Take it into your local main dealer and have them take a look at it. You will prob get a new 3/4 (Basically new engine) engine worth in the region of 6k FREE!!! As long as you meet the standards set down by Toyota.

There is a TSB on this forum telling you whats what! And also a guide by member "CharlieFarlie" that is a very good and informative read... As well as lots of posts that I've put up...

• 1 month later...

I have had a 3/4 engine replacement (2.2, D4D, 176BHP) in May 2012 at 57000 Miles and then in January 2013 Toyota have replaced the pistons, rings, valves, valve stems, valve seats and big end bearings in the new 3/4 engine after I took it in because of oil consumption! The oil level would read very low and I would top it up to the middle of the indicator then after a day or so the level would be way over the max mark! The engineer was suprised when I asked if it was to do with the oil return rings and said yes partly. It had only done 5000 miles. I paid for a new clutch and flywheel, £1200.58(!), and after stating I had asked for the clutch to be checked last time the engine was replaced but they didn't check, I got my front discs and pad done gratis. When the car came back there was a noise on the power steering and Toyota ended up replacing the rack/pump, £1000(!), also for free.

Diesel1.

Hi

I posted earlier today with a similar issue.

We had our engine replaced (55 Verso T180) in Sept 11 for the same reason (oil consumption). We've only done 5k in the car since and last saturday the car went into limp mode. Took it to the dealer and they found a large carbon build up again and have told me the EGR valve needs replacing even though this was done when we had the engine replaced. I'm reluctant to pay for the new EGR valve as I'm not sure if it'll actually fix the problem or in fact last. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

I would definitely ask them to do it as part of the warranty work. It should not fail after 5k if they said it was replaced last time. I would point out that even though they give you 12 months warranty you have only done 5k and that could have been done in 1 month nevermind 14 months!

Simon.

Thanks for responding. I have tried to argue exactly that but Toyota Customer Relations aren't budging. The garage told me 'off the record' that customer relations have said they've spent enough on the car (what with the new engine etc) and don't want to spend a penny more. Not only has the warranty expired but I'm late for it's service (I wrongly assumed it was done after 10k miles but it should be a year) so that gave them another reason not to help. I'm so fed up with it all, I would pay the £450 just to get my car back but I have no faith in it actually lasting. I would sell the car but I'd feel too guilty selling it to anyone knowing what it is like!

I suppose for £20 you could run a can of BG244 through it.

Simon.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd give a quick update (sorry for gate crashing the original post!)

We replaced the EGR valve (an original Toyota part but not fitted by the Toyota garage) and 300 miles later same problem, loss of power and the dreaded lights have come back on. I can not believe a recon engine can have so many problems! We are so disillusioned by the whole Toyota experience, we really thought we were buying reliability :-(

Want to part exchange the car ASAP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links