Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vvtl-I 190Bhp High Idle Problems

Ash1502

my celica t-sport has got a high idle.

it revs at approx 2000 rpm.

have fitted new air mass / flow sensor and that has not cured it.

any suggestions would be appreciated

thank you

Hi, I'm not experienced with that engine but as a general view have you checked the idle control valve (assuming these have one fitted)? Failing that is there a faulty coolant sensor for the ecu making it think that its cold.

Sorry I can't be more specific for this engine, I'm sure there's people who are that will post with better info.

Cheers, mark

even if cold, it shouldnt rev to 2000rpm.

ive had the engine removed and then refitted. the throttle body and idle control valve are exactly the same before removal and refitting.

Are all the vacuum hoses ok and all air pipes post MAF air-tight?

2000rpm could be the maximum the control valve can take it to if a there is a fault with a component associated with the engine idle system. If the high idle is physically caused by the ICV then it should be wide open, if not then it should be closed trying to compensate for the increased idle speed.

Figuring out what the ICV is doing may help find the route cause.

ive been told by the garage that the stepper motor in the throttle body is seized.

Now are they refering to the idle control valve or does the throttle body actually have a stepper motor in it?

A brand new throttle body from toyota is approx £1200.

I am trying to source a used one, are the throttle bodies on the 140bhp engine and the 190bhp engine the same? only ask this as im am finding a lot more listings that just say vvt 1.8 engine

Not sure if the throttle bodies are the same size between 140 and 190, but the 140 is as a slightly different angle to the 190.

check out a member called AMS on celica club, he is a breaker

• 2 weeks later...

I'm abit concerned as mine on a cold start with autochoke is not far off 2kRPM, once warm it's below 1K.

what should cold start run at?

still need some help please.

i have fitted another idle control valve, and the car was ok for 1 week. then it started to idle at approx 1800rpm at normal operating temperature. about 20 mins later, the engine warning light came on. i checked the fault codes and it listed a fault with the idle control valve. the idle had by this point increased to approx 2100rpm

i have removed the throttle body and idle control valve. i removed the idle control valve from the throttle body and removed the plastic acutator on the end of it.

the idle control valve appeared to have seized so i cleaned it up and it was turning freely.

refitted and bled cooling system thoroughly.

the idle is now sitting at 1500 rpm with the engine at normal operating temperature.

any and all suggestions welcome and appreicated, please help if possible

thank you

• 6 years later...

Ive had the same problem with my corrolla tsport vvtli 5 door. When idling it stays around 1000rpm until it warmed up then starts to drop below 1000rpm, after about 5 minutes of this happening, the revs drop all together and the engine turns off. A bit of a different issue also is that when im pulling away at low speeds, sometimes the car judders back and forth, i thought this could be a misfire, ive been to a few garages, they cant find the problem, and that nothing is showing up on the ecu reading. I dont know a lot about vvtli engines, any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be appreciated. I forgot to mention the engine warning light and two other warning lights (of which im not sure what they mean) switch on and switch off at random too. Thanks