Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Get Caught Out With Wind

dave.m

It's the time of year, and no I don't mean the type you get from sprouts.

Having protected my little cruiser for almost a year from car park idiots,

It finally happened last night. You know the script, waiting in a half empty

Car park for the misses, and the usual happens, a couple drive in and

HAVE to park right next to you. You know what's coming next, it' very

Windy, she opens the passenger door of her 2 door Astra which acts

Like the sails on a yacht. Hits my door with such a bang that she screams.

Not seen in daylight yet but sure I could feel the dent in the dark. Telling

Myself to remember the blood pressure.............................................

It's windy out there, you have been warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the time of year, and no I don't mean the type you get from sprouts.

Having protected my little cruiser for almost a year from car park idiots,

It finally happened last night. You know the script, waiting in a half empty

Car park for the misses, and the usual happens, a couple drive in and

HAVE to park right next to you. You know what's coming next, it' very

Windy, she opens the passenger door of her 2 door Astra which acts

Like the sails on a yacht. Hits my door with such a bang that she screams.

Not seen in daylight yet but sure I could feel the dent in the dark. Telling

Myself to remember the blood pressure.............................................

It's windy out there, you have been warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very expensive lesson she has learned, Dave.......gosh.....did i just sound like that Swiss mountain singing style there????

Maybe a job for Oor Hoovi.....?

Big Kev.

It's one of my worst nightmares, if we have anything pre-planned where car parking is involved I get the Mrs to drive in her car. People amuse me no end, you can be in a practically deserted car park but some clown always parks along side you, it's not long ago I witnessed a slob bounce his van door against a very nicely kept A3, he just walked away without a glance...........it's all a matter of respect. Hope the damage is minimal Dave.

It's one of my worst nightmares, if we have anything pre-planned where car parking is involved I get the Mrs to drive in her car. People amuse me no end, you can be in a practically deserted car park but some clown always parks along side you, it's not long ago I witnessed a slob bounce his van door against a very nicely kept A3, he just walked away without a glance...........it's all a matter of respect. Hope the damage is minimal Dave.

Will never know the outcome, but posted the registration of white van man the decorator on the window of a car his door had thumped a few years ago, along with my phone number......probably a company car "don't give a monkeys" type as heard nothing.

Beware ye......ah'm watching.....breaks ma heart for folk like davem......Howard Hughes would have bought that car after Dave.

Big Kev

Typical that should happen Dave, as you had parked out the way of trouble, sorry to hear about it. I dread that happening to our RAV.

I always park as far away as possible from the main doors in supermarket carparks, or any other.

At our local Tescos, nearly every driver rushes up to park as near to the entrance as possible, which is great cause that mostly leaves loads of free space at the bottom. But I know our RAV is still vulnerable to idiots of the like you had!

I've noticed in various retail car parks I sometimes use, the cars parked out the way where I like to park look really cared for. Problem is, this time of year, more idiots and less parking spaces. :fear:

I always park at the back of the car park when I go to Tesco, mostly staff park there (but its not an area for staff only). Its great because I know certain cars are will be staying there longer than I'll be in the shop so I don't have to worry about them hitting my car with their doors. I always go to the back of all car parks. If there's a light in the middle of a box, that's a good place to park, at least no idiots can park there and throw their doors out.

I've watched people trying to park and they can't even drive into a space, never mind attempt to reverse in. Its shocking the standard of parking that goes on. They drive into the space all sloped, with their bonnet far too close to the other car, then reverse out again trying to get straightened. In and out a couple of times. They're nearly ready to hit the car beside them. Then they jump out and leave the wheels all twisted, and give the car next to them a tap with their door. Then they return to the car, and start reversing out on to oncoming traffic. Why don't they even look where they're going? :angry:

If someone comes and parks in the box next to me, I give them the 'Don't Hit My Car With Your Door' look. It usually works though one time a woman in an Audi had a right go at me for giving her 'the look'. She was giving off so I put the window down to see what she wanted. She went on about how her car is an Audi and its expensive :rolleyes: As if I care what she's driving, as long as she's not whacking its doors against my car. :eek:

One time I was at a dog show and the one of the organisers told me someone had reversed into my car and drove off. Luckily there wasn't a mark left.

Another one from Tesco car park : a man was unloading his trolley and had it propped against the car next to his own. He asked me if it was my car. It wasn't.

Not defending the driver next to the UC, but it can be very easy to get caught out by the very strong wind, especially that which we've had up here in last day or so! I opened my door in the normal way last night (eg slowly and carefully!) and had it nearly ripped off by the wind.

And having said that, I have today been deliberately parking "badly" with this in mind, to minimise anyone parking in a space too close by who may have similar mishaps

Aye well I always got to the very far end of the car park and take 2 spaces. I have just about got my mrs to do it (or at least she says she does). Not ideal and sounds selfish but it is spiteful and ignorant when some cretin causes £50 worth of damage (and that assumes it will push out and not including you chasing about to meet a dent man). I work on the railway now and our carpark Hitlers will ticket you for being slightly out of a bay. I dread the day thta happens in supermarkets as they will have a field day with me.

The trouble is, when you care about your car, you can see a ripple as big as your litle finger nail from about 200 yds away so until they stop assigning spaces that are tight with a Yaris then my tactics will remain. And another thing! A space that is big but not quite big enough can be worse than one that is so tight you can barely squeeze out because it can give a door enough room to gather speed.

Now the woman may have screamed when the wind got the door but thats what happens to a door in the wind and she would have been reminded of that if it was my car.

Sorry to hear it Dave.

Dave you have my symphathy,I,m the person who parks in a Tesco car park, so far away that it takes a Day to get into the store ( and I don,t park my U/C in the trolly-bay either).

I have just come back from Birkenhead, today and I made my Dad move his new car into a different lane queing for the Ferry back as a German plated Tiguan got so close that he could hardly open his door let alone me getting out.Bit OT but it does my head in when they park sooo close!!!!!

Regards Clare

Parking way down a car park can backfire though.

Like others here, I always look for an area away from high usage spaces.

Once parked in a space next to a substantial galvanised steel cycle rack thinking that it was well away from the main parking area and that at least one side of the car would be protected.

Big mistake.........................got back in car forgetting all about the rack, turned left out of the space and clipped the end of the rack which was well below my sight line :ermm:

My mum had a problem at a Tesco's car park and her car was damaged. So I wrote a letter to Head Office and they paid for damage!

As with most things Tim, a well worded letter can work wonders. I don't know if they would all be the same though. There is usually a big sign saying "vehicles parked at owners risk".

There's a car park at a retail site near me and there's a Tesco Express, M&S of similar size, and other stores. There are always M&S trolleys all over the car park. One day there were 10 of them, so I'd had enough and emailed m&s, but its just as bad again now. There's never any trolleys from any of the other shops scattered round that car park, just the m&s ones.

I dont really like the places where you have to put in a pound coin to release a trolley, but have to say it does seem to keep the rampaging trolleys in check very effectively :)

Becoming a convert of those retail places!

Got to agree with Lorna on trollies,some people are so lazy with where they put them!!!! If you charge for them they certainly make sure they go back to a bay.

Trollied Clare

Not defending the driver next to the UC, but it can be very easy to get caught out by the very strong wind, especially that which we've had up here in last day or so! I opened my door in the normal way last night (eg slowly and carefully!) and had it nearly ripped off by the wind.

And having said that, I have today been deliberately parking "badly" with this in mind, to minimise anyone parking in a space too close by who may have similar mishaps

If people know its windy they should allow for it. Not being sexist but women seem to be the worst for leaving a door open and say walking to their boot and are surprised when the door moves in the wind.

I too use the wifes car if possible if we are going to a supermarket as its a small car its easier to park and leaves more room on each side so not so vulnerable as a larger car would be.

But there no knowing who is going to park next you,Maybe with a load od kids in the back which is a recipe for a disaster with doors being thrown open.

True Peter, but if you had the wind that we have had in the last two days that is shifting steel garden swings and flinging them round the garden, then maybe you could get caught out by the wind also catching a sail-like door when it is cracked open a few mm!

Got to agree with Lorna on trollies,some people are so lazy with where they put them!!!! If you charge for them they certainly make sure they go back to a bay.

Trollied Clare

It realy pi55e5 me off when I see people in nice cars, which they no doubt take great pride in, simply leaving their shopping trolley any old place and driving off. These lazy, mindless pillocks would be the first to whinge if their pride & joy got damaged by a wayward trolley. The £1 release system is a step in the right direction, nevertheless when I'm king, I'll have the b@5t@rds shot!!

Trollied Clare

It realy pi55e5 me off when I see people in nice cars, which they no doubt take great pride in, simply leaving their shopping trolley any old place and driving off. These lazy, mindless pillocks would be the first to whinge if their pride & joy got damaged by a wayward trolley. The £1 release system is a step in the right direction, nevertheless when I'm king, I'll have the b@5t@rds shot!!

Grumpy old mans night starts about 9pm every Friday round my neck of the woods. All you need is 2 tins of beer for entry.

Trollied Clare

Grumpy old mans night starts about 9pm every Friday round my neck of the woods. All you need is 2 tins of beer for entry.

Sorry I'm late, Don. But wouldn't dream of drinking out of a can! :laughing:

Pretty windy here today and yesterday - gusts of 93mph, but then I can keep up with that!

Anyway, I too use 2 car spaces in car parks. Over 18 years you accrue quite a few dings. same with eejits mirrors catching the rear wing.

On a similar note, one of our tank like tippers was travelling in Coatbridge and along the main road in Whifflet where there are parking bays at the bus stops. White van man stopped on one and opened his door which must have been caught by wind..... and the door was promptly ripped off by our passing Iveco tipper. The chap didn't seem best pleased but his insurance got hit for repairing a scratch on our cab!! And no, we didn't pick up the waste door as scrap!

I dont really like the places where you have to put in a pound coin to release a trolley, but have to say it does seem to keep the rampaging trolleys in check very effectively :)

Becoming a convert of those retail places!

It's certainly worked at our Tescos. Before, you had to dodge around trolleys abandoned after use whilst walking up the walkway in the car park. When I returned my trolley to the trolley park, the trolleys where just shoved in. I sometimes had to re-arrange trolleys just to get mine and others in. Now we have to pay, it's great. Clear walkway and neatly parked trolleys. In a way, it's trolley bliss! Lorna's M&S needs to go the pay way.

• 5 weeks later...
On a similar note, one of our tank like tippers was travelling in Coatbridge and along the main road in Whifflet where there are parking bays at the bus stops. White van man stopped on one and opened his door which must have been caught by wind..... and the door was promptly ripped off by our passing Iveco tipper.

Reminds me of that police type program some time ago where they show us the police stopping people (they always seem to get their man in these shows). Anyway, they stopped a guy for speeding on a motorway, I think it was a BMW but not sure. Anyway, he pulled onto the hard shoulder, parked right up against the right edge of the shoulder and flung his door open in a temper. A passing lorry slammed the cars door into the door jamb, the leading edge of the trailer did the damage. Seemed the driver of the lorry didn't even notice. The car driver certainly did, was lucky he hadn't stuck his legs out. His temper had abated somewhat by the time the officers reached him. The coppers showed no emotion at all, just issued him his ticket and left. They must have been struggling not to laugh their heads off.