Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2Nd Gear Crunching On Rav 4 4.3

stevedale5

Hi guys, sorry if I'm going over old ground here but I think I'm getting mixed information. Is this thread for a petrol or diesel or both? I have the same problem and would like to try changing the gearbox oil before I go down the knackered synchro route to cure a crunchy first to second gear change.

I have a 2007 Rav4 4.3( I think its a 4.3 as it has the diff lock button) XT-R 2.2 D4-D (not D-cat).

I have read through this thread and another thread that this one links to (Rav 4.3 Gearbox, Transfer Box And Diff Maintenance) and I'm lead to believe I need 75W GL-4 gearbox oil. However, looking at the service data sheet attached to the other thread mentioned above, it suggests the diesel Rav4 requires API GL-5 SAE 75W, not GL-4. Does the petrol version and diesel version have different gearboxes and oils? The SDS does have a date of 2005, does that explain any discrepancy?

If someone could give me a definitive list of the lubricants I need for my gearbox, transfer box and rear diff, I would be most grateful.

Cheers everyone

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• Mistermena

• hedleyf

• Big Kev

Toyota's oil spec for the 'box is quite fussy - seeming to need a 'straight' 75W, and GL-4 or GL-5 according to the Toyota manuals I have here.   A good bit was posted here some years ago about this.

Straight 75W (ie 75W/75) can be really difficult to find, although I believe Toyota themselves have something suitably expensive.

The synchromesh  on these boxes can be baulky/clunky/reluctant to smoothly engage, if too thick an oil is used, or if is the wrong spec.  Manual boxes on PSA (Peugeot Citroen) experience the same thing, across almost their entire manual 5-speed range. 

This oil sorts the problem: Total Transmission 8 gear oil, 75W-80, GL-4
The important bit is GL-4.  This contains a lesser amount of friction reducing additives, which actually allows the synchromesh rings on these boxes to work correctly.  It also does not attack the brass synchro rings, which GL-5 can.  The -80 is not an issue, even in very cold weather.   There is info on the web about GL-4 and GL-5, and "GL-4/5".   GL-5 is NOT an advanced/updated version of -4 !

On both our RAV4-II D4D (and Citroen XM 2.5TD) I have switched to this oil, and have been running it for a few years now.  It has improved gear engagement and changes significantly.

The easiest place to get it is at a Citroen (or Peugeot) parts counter.  Their workshops use it across the range, have it in 200-lit drums for their own use, or in the usual 1L retail packs.

When you drain and change over, allow some mileage for the difference to really be noticed, as the brass synchro components take up the new oil.

The Toyota spec for manual transmission oil is 75w gl4. In common with many other cars where the manufacturer specifies a monograde oil - multigrades give inferior performance. A commonly used oil from a known manufacturer is Castrol Syntrans FE 75w. Opie lists several readily available gl4 oils - Millers is well regarded and is reasonably priced.

I would have to say that oil issues usually manifest themselves as a baulkey or notchy change. Crunching gears are usually the result of worn synchromesh or a clutch that’s not fully disengaging.

I've used Syntrans before (and the previous Syntrax and SMX manual transmission fluids by Castrol), in order to get over problems of gear engagement and shifting in cold weather, and synchromesh baulking.  It has always worked well.   In this case, it meets the required GL-4, thus protecting soft-metal parts.