Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2Nd Gear Crunching On Rav 4 4.3

stevedale5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• Mistermena

• stevedale5

• lotusandy

THATS IT Tim. I couldn't remeber but now you say, Silkolene is Fuchs (pronounced like the swear word!).

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-976-fuchs-titan-sintofluid-fe-sae-75w-synthetic-manual-transmission-oil.aspx

Should only be taken internally for one paricuar condition....for Fuchs ache........

Witheld.......

• 1 month later...

I am in the same situation, my 2007 Rav-4 was recently serviced by my local indie & ever since it's been noisy when changing into 2nd gear, I just called them & sure enought they put GL5 oil in the gearbox wjen they changed the oil.

It's easiest for me to get some replacement oil from Halfords, they have 3 types that seem to be correct.

Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 GL4 fully synthetic

or

Comma Gear Oil SX75W/90 GL4

or

Halfords Gear Oil EP 75W/80 GL-4

I'd really grateful if someone would advise on the best one for me to use please?

Thnaks Andy

None of those Andy. Kingo will send you some of the proper 75W oil or Taff reccomends Fuchs from Opie.

You will not get gears if you put multigrade oil in - the 75W oil is like olive oil in consistency, very thin.

Ah I didn't notice they were all multigrade oils!

Looks like I'll have to go into Toyota, any idea of the cost?

Thanks

I remember waking up in casualty when I was told how much but not the actual price.

I remember waking up in casualty when I was told how much but not the actual price.

There seems to be a sense of humour coming from Don lately, do you think he has a new arrival in the works?????

Well, I attempted to buy some oil from my local Toyata garage today, what a shambles! they didn't know what grade was required so I told them I needed some Toyota LV 75W MT GL4 gear oil but computer said no..

I then asked if they could just supply me with what thier mechanics would use, after much scratching of heads they found the oil on thier stock system, but said they would have to order it in specially for me.

At that point I politley declinded & ordered some a little later from Opie.

Oh well, at least I didn't find out how Much Toyota charge!

Andy

This one, Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W synthetic manual transmission oil -1 Litre

SKU: 00001210

as recommended earlier in this thread.

I'll post the results once I've changed it....

There seems to be a sense of humour coming from Don lately, do you think he has a new arrival in the works?????

My wife can hear you writing and is quite capable of hacking you to pieces for even thinking it. I can assure you that I have not ordered another RAV nor have I any intentions of doing so. I would like to admit myself to the Priory to see if they can rid me of the addiction to new cars.

This one, Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W synthetic manual transmission oil -1 Litre

I don't think you'll go far wrong with the Fuchs/Silkolene oils. Yer, lets us know how you get on...

Condition known as BFR, Gus.....Balvenie Founder's Reserve.....poor chap is far gone.....

Well, I attempted to buy some oil from my local Toyata garage today, what a shambles! they didn't know what grade was required so I told them I needed some Toyota LV 75W MT GL4 gear oil but computer said no..

I then asked if they could just supply me with what thier mechanics would use, after much scratching of heads they found the oil on thier stock system, but said they would have to order it in specially for me.

At that point I politley declinded & ordered some a little later from Opie.

Oh well, at least I didn't find out how Much Toyota charge!

Andy

Does anybody else find Andy's posting as disturbing as me......? What if it was due a top up or complete change.....? What would they have used.....? No wonder some individuals hereon are anal about servicing even their own brand new cars.....the bind moggles.

Big Kev

Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm guessing that a dealer would have their oil in bulk tanks rather than litre bottles. However, I would have thought that they should be able to advise on approprite grade and order in without difficulty................

We have all the oils in all the colours in all the sizes...........In the workshop in bulk, we keep very little in 1 litre bottles, the reason being it never sells as most people don't do that type of job themselves, and it's quite expensive too!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Does anybody else find Andy's posting as disturbing as me......?

No, just depressingly the norm. There are a few good ones out there though.

Prices and part numbers, so perhaps the part number for 1 litre (i.e. 08885-81001) listed in these threads is no longer valid?

http://www.toyotaown...=20#entry800156

http://www.toyotaown...1

When the gbox oil was changed on my previous 4.3, before a certain person picked some up for me off Kingo, I ordered some over the phone from a local Toyota dealer. Quoting part number. Seemed no problem.

Went to pick it up a few days later, after confirming by phone first that it was there. Parts muppet (and that is being kind) couldn't find it. Suspect he hadn't ordered it. 15 minutes wait. Muppet comes back wiping oil off unmarked bottles.

"What's that?" I ask.

"85W90 Mobil 1 out of workshop" or something like that says muppet.

"It's supposed to be straight 75W, otherwise the gear selection will be almost impossible cold" I say "and anyway, it's completely unmarked, there's no way I'm having that!".

Walked out leaving open mouthed muppet behind. Never been back there since, due to lack of any trust of their capabilities.

It's at times like that, I remember a definition of "professional" from a previous work mate i.e. "Just because somebody gets paid to do something, doesn't mean they are any good at it.".

Prices and part numbers, so perhaps the part number for 1 litre (i.e. 08885-81001) listed in these threads is no longer valid?

Part number is OK prices were 2008 and guess what? Yep they have gone up a tad :lol:

Full list of part numbers for gear oils is below, I don't list prices as you know, as they will still be on here in years to come, but that particular 1 litre is now £15

650600445_o.jpg

I don't think you'll go far wrong with the Fuchs/Silkolene oils. Yer, lets us know how you get on...

Well, the above oil arrived today, I changed it & hey presto no more crunching when changing into 2nd, even when I try my hardest!

Thanks for all the helpful advice here..

Andy

Thank Fuch for that! :-)

• 1 year later...

I just joined the forum as I picked my 2007 RAV4 up yesterday. I was concerned about the crunch between 1st and 2nd until I read this and a couple of other threads. I don't have the time or facilities to change the gearbox oil myself so will ask a local garage that I use. I did think about going to Toyota but how will I know they will do what I ask - I've had that problem before at a Vauxhall dealer.

I saw the oil on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161133108640?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true before I buy I just want to make sure it's right. How much do I need 2.1ltr ( 3 of the bottles). Is there any thing special about changing it or should a decent mechanic be able to do it?

I had the oil changed as recommended above. I would say there is a marginal change. 2nd gear is still difficult especially going from 1st. The only way to not crunch (it feels like it is running over the gears) is to change really slowly. No doubt there a knack to this.

I changed all the transmission oils and thats about as good as it gets, mine is exactly the same between 1 and 2 but the rest of the box is silky smooth. Some say that it can adjusted to get better but at what cost at Mr T's!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links