Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arrival Dates For The New Rav4. 4.4

CharlieFarlie

Diversifying from another thread it seems that the new 4.4 will be in the showrooms mid February ready for the launch on March the 1st.....

So who will be first ........................................................................

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• Big Kev

• anchorman

• firemac

Are you going to be putting your order in for one Charlie? :)

I will be getting mine on the 1st March 2015 or 2016, dependant on what else is available at that time :) might have no choice then and have to have a hybrid smart car :(

Gus

I believed it was spring Charlie , but can't understand why WC mag said June. It won't be me , although santa (or was it my credit card?) brought a 13 plate it will be something else. Maybe Toyota but not a Rav 4 , or a VW perhaps or Audi or......

No doubt it will be me... Keen as I am the dust will have to settle and deals be prime before I place an order.. Unless something outstanding is on offer and the blood rushes to my head .. I am assured I will be getting an early test drive though !

Not me. Not too keen on the shape :( Too car like for me.

I think mate we have to reserve judgement till we can see them in the flesh ?

I really like the looks. OK its not going to suit everyone and it has the corporate look but have you seen the new Auris in the flesh ? Stunning !

If its more car like to drive the brilliant as far as Im concerned..

But this thread is not about the looks as thats been covered before.. Its to see who is looking at buying one....

Keep your hair on Charlie !! Only stating why I wont be looking at one...By the same token then, the thread is about Rav 4.4 not the Auris !!!

Keep your hair on Charlie !! Only stating why I wont be looking at one...By the same token then, the thread is about Rav 4.4 not the Auris !!!

Didnt mean it like that Mate.....

Will certainly be attending a launch event somewhere, I will possibly order one if I like them enough and I can off load the 4.3 for some sensible money, my only concern would be that the first 4.4's have a short production phase with all the talk of using BMW diesel engines in the BMW /Toyota diesel / hybrid merge. I imagine that would hammer early 4.4 values in the secondhand market if they only did a 12 month production run with the D4D. Any thoughts ?

Will certainly be attending a launch event somewhere, I will possibly order one if I like them enough and I can off load the 4.3 for some sensible money, my only concern would be that the first 4.4's have a short production phase with all the talk of using BMW diesel engines in the BMW /Toyota diesel / hybrid merge. I imagine that would hammer early 4.4 values in the secondhand market if they only did a 12 month production run with the D4D. Any thoughts ?

My thoughts are that the 4x4 versions will have the 2.2 engine while the 2WD versions will get the BMW engine.........

The new car is supposed to be more car like so if it is then maybe some may go for the 2WD varient or maybe because its emissions will mean a lower tax banding for some..

But I simply would not entertain buying a 2WD version.. I see no advantage in having a 2WD version of the Rav over say an Audi A6 or a top end Mondeo...

OK fair call so far winter has not been winter and the extra security and capability of a 4WD system has not been called upon.. But its nice to have a little extra capability over say that A6 or whatever.. Then there are those that tow caravans and such like. For me a car like a Rav should have 4WD end of. I would imagine very near all sales to private individuals will be 4WD ... There is obviously a place in the range for a 2WD Car but Im struggling to think why ?

So no I don't think a 2.2 car will instantly or quickly drop value. I do however think its worth waiting till the novelty wears off and sensible deals are on the table.

Im still questioning whether to buy one of the last of the 4.3S..... My annual mileage will drop dramatically come the end of feb so MPG will no longer be a major consideration.. A brand new SR in white fully kitted is a very attractive package. The new car will have to be stunning before I part with very much more money to own one.

My thoughts are that the 4x4 versions will have the 2.2 engine while the 2WD versions will get the BMW engine.........

According to a Toyota dealer i spoke with, they will all come with the 2L version of the D4D engine until 2014 when they will switch to the BMW engine. This is purely due to the new NOS emissions standards that the old engine does not comply with. The 2L BMW is a superb engine and Toyota agreed a contra-deal with BMW for the engine as they wanted Toyota's electric technology...

Webs

According to a Toyota dealer i spoke with, they will all come with the 2L version of the D4D engine until 2014 when they will switch to the BMW engine. This is purely due to the new NOS emissions standards that the old engine does not comply with. The 2L BMW is a superb engine and Toyota agreed a contra-deal with BMW for the engine as they wanted Toyota's electric technology...

Webs

So is it fair to assume that both diesel offerings being the 2.2 and 2.0 are both using old engines ??

Why not roll out the car with the BMW engine from day 1 ? Or is it not available yet ? I said on another thread on this subject that the car will not really be all "New" until its basically a facelift (Maybe the wrong word) Or upated version of the car We are calling the new model 4.4 Rav.

Confused.. Is it correct that the 4X4 version will come only with the current 2.2 engine ? Or is there a 4x4 car with the Toyota 2.0 Diesel ??

The 4X4 will come with the current 2.2. I am quite happy with that situation as I don't know enough about a BMW alternative. I know that the earlier ones can be a PITA based on their use in Freelanders.

I thought I read that the new model will come with the 2.0 BMW for the FWDs but maybe Webby has some newer info.

This is from the website blog;

Customers will be able to save more money in the longer term, too, as Toyota has introduced a new 2.0-litre D-4D diesel engine that takes RAV4’s CO2 emissions down to a new low of just 127g/km in the two-wheel drive models.

There are three engines: the new 2.0-litre diesel and the 2.2-litre D-4D diesel and 2.0-litre Valvematic petrol familiar from the current range. Both the latter have been tweaked to deliver lower emissions and improved fuel economy. Transmissions are a six-speed manual for the diesels, a CVT automatic for the petrol unit, and the option of a six-speed automatic for the 2.2 D-4D.

The 4X4 will come with the current 2.2. I am quite happy with that situation as I don't know enough about a BMW alternative. I know that the earlier ones can be a PITA based on their use in Freelanders.

I thought I read that the new model will come with the 2.0 BMW for the FWDs but maybe Webby has some newer info.

But if it's the current BMW diesel as used in the 320d & 520d then they're probably the very best units on the market. My 520d M-Sport was the best diesel engine I've ever driven and was unbelievably frugal despite spirited driving.....

Maybe so. I would have to have a close look and a trawl on the internet for a better feel - it's a question of the devil you know. I'm open minded but I am interested in more than what it drives like. I want to know what it is like to service and if it has history and whether or not any issues are now resloved.

It might be the best thing since sliced bread!

I am happy enough to go with the old 2.2 in a new car.. If I were still doing big miles though that would not be the case !!

Hopefully they will have improved on the fuel economy of the 2.2 in this new model or for those who do big miles it could take the car from being top of the list ..

Are all current SRs automatics ?

Maybe so. I would have to have a close look and a trawl on the internet for a better feel - it's a question of the devil you know. I'm open minded but I am interested in more than what it drives like. I want to know what it is like to service and if it has history and whether or not any issues are now resloved.

It might be the best thing since sliced bread!

Can't fault that logic. However, given the BMW diesel's dynamic superiority and TGB's 5-year warranty, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Even if BMW haven't totally resolved their swirl flap issue (& I believe that they may well have even though it affected a minority of engines) there's many more positives than negatives for anyone buying a new or nearly-new vehicle.

To quote Toyota...

In March 2012, the BMW Group and TMC signed a binding agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion Battery cells. In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract in December last year, under which the BMW Group will supply highly efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe starting in 2014.

There will be no BMW diesel in any Toyota model until 2014. The deal will save Toyota the expense of developing the 2.2 to meet EU6 standards.

To quote Toyota...

In March 2012, the BMW Group and TMC signed a binding agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion Battery cells. In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract in December last year, under which the BMW Group will supply highly efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe starting in 2014.

There will be no BMW diesel in any Toyota model until 2014. The deal will save Toyota the expense of developing the 2.2 to meet EU6 standards.

I wonder if EU6 standards will mean even more emissions and catylists than we have now ? Best get in during the next two years then...... :dontgetit: :dontgetit:

I am happy enough to go with the old 2.2 in a new car.. If I were still doing big miles though that would not be the case !!

Hopefully they will have improved on the fuel economy of the 2.2 in this new model or for those who do big miles it could take the car from being top of the list ..

Personally I would be wary of the first release of the 4.4 as most cars seem to have initial teething issues and with the engines only lasting 1 year before the BMW one is introduced, they will probably end up as a bit of a unwanted early release and depreciate heavily!

Pretty sure all SRs are Automatic with no exceptions. Ignoring the fuel aspect, it is a great combination with the 2.2 Engine.

The new RAV4.4 I would assume is more economical as it looks more streamlined, but be surprised if the engine itself was inherently more effeciant?

In the longer term my plan is to buy a 4.4 (providing a spare wheel is available) and that it can match the 4.2 off road.

I prefer to buy the facelift model so it is 3 or 4 years away for me.

For all manufacturers by the time the facelift comes around they have usually sorted out any problems with the model.

I have always had reservations re the 4.3's off road capabilities / suitabilities, and am certain the expression "soft roader" was aimed at this particular Rav. Now that they have lowered it (mistake IMHO....) AND MADE IT MORE "CAR LIKE", surely its off road capabilities have been further brought to task.....?

Towing stuff........yeah.....playing aboot on farm tracks and worse,......? Nah.........

Big Kev

Personally I would be wary of the first release of the 4.4 as most cars seem to have initial teething issues and with the engines only lasting 1 year before the BMW one is introduced, they will probably end up as a bit of a unwanted early release and depreciate heavily!

Pretty sure all SRs are Automatic with no exceptions. Ignoring the fuel aspect, it is a great combination with the 2.2 Engine.

The new RAV4.4 I would assume is more economical as it looks more streamlined, but be surprised if the engine itself was inherently more effeciant?

I agree with your reticence re first releases but for different reasons than reliability.

I think that over the past 10/15 years or so, new models have proven to be pretty reliable - let's face it, no manufacturer can afford to release a problematic car given the level of competition and the long memory of your average car buyer (JLR excluded!). Also, they do so much testing & bench-marking against their competitors that few faults get through these days (again, not counting LR's). What I have found though is that the way manufacturers plan eqpt upgrades can mean that the top of the range model at launch can have no better overall eqpt than the entry/base model available at the end of the model's run 5 or 6 years later. Consequently the premium model in the range at run-out will be the best in terms of eqpt and, of course, it will have been completely de-bugged by then. So, in a way, the sensible thing to do would be to buy the top of the range 4.3 and spec it up as fully as possible. You'll then have an ultra reliable RAV with a 5 year warranty and no worries about when the BMW engines will become available and torpedo your residual value.