Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better Quality Headlight Bulbs - Any Suggestions?

Duracell

Hi all

Happy new year.

Looking to replace the existing H7 halogen headlight bulbs with something which will provide a better beam - maybe Halfords super brilliance white or philips xtreme 100%. Don't want ones that are so bright they dazzle other drivers.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Happy New Year to you also,

If your headlights are set up correctly then whatever bulbs you use won't dazzle other drivers. I don't want to be a kill joy or rude but this has been one of the most discussed topics on the forum due to the Avensis headlights being crap basically, so a quick search will tell you all the answers. This is something I need to do for myself as the lights, or lack of on my car do annoy me at times, luckily I don't do a lot of night driving on unlit roads :) .

Regards,

Pete.

Osram Nightbreaker Plus always seem to come out very well in tests, there are plenty of sellers out there selling them too

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo. Apologies Pete for posting an old topic - got a bit lazy and didn't bother searching.

Thanks Kingo. Apologies Pete for posting an old topic - got a bit lazy and didn't bother searching.

No problem mate. :cheers:

Osram & Philips basically.

Auto Express usually test bulbs on an annual basis so it's worth reading those tests on their website.

I've used Super brilliance and extreme brilliance in my bike but they blow really quickly and cost a packet so I put nightbreakers in my Avensis. Changed only one then compared the headlights. Big difference but you soon get used to it. Still on the 1st set of nightbreakers as well so they seem to last.

I have put more powerful bulbs into driving lamps in the past. 100W into a 55W lamp without problems but they were glass lenses not plastic. Dunno if the plastic ones will take it. Looking through the previous threads there really doesn't seem to be a 'stock' answer to this problem which makes me think the lenses difuse the light too much. Maybe auxillary driving lamps are in order? There are some lovely compact ones available now so you don't have to drive around like a 1980's Audi Quatro with dinner plate sized lights on your bonnet.

I've just remembered, when I changed my bulbs I noticed a layer of dust or powder on the inside of the round lense just in front of the bulb. I used a welding rod with cotton rag to get in and clean it off which made a difference. Just make sure that the rag doesn't slip inside the bulb housing completely or it will be a nightmare to get it back out.

Just fitted new OSRAM Night Breaker Plus to my 2010 Avensis Tourer and on my sisters 2009 Nissan X-Trail, got free w5w sidelights on both orders from Powerbulbs.

The originals were not very bright but I think this is more the Projector lenses create a very sharp focused cutoff for the light rather that the wider light pattern of older cars/lights that are probably more dazzling as well.

The new bulbs are much better and give a whiter light. On full beam it is almost like daylight.

Check carefully for pricing as there can be some variation in the price.

I did use Halfords Super brilliance on another car and they were good but they do have a reputation for short life and one set I had did die quickly.

My main gripe is fitting is a pain as you need small hands to work in the very small space available.

God help you if you need fit a new bulb in the dark at the side of a road in pouring rain.

I managed to lose two of the clips that hold the plastic cover that is over the top of the radiator/lights.

I cannot get them out of the engine bay without removing the shield on the bottom of the engine bay.

Anyone know where I can get new clips without paying silly prices to Toyota for replacements ?

Thanks for all replies. Osram Nightbreaker Plus it is then. Still got squeaky brakes so might ask my regular mechanic to fix and get him to fit the new bulbs at the same time. Total cop-out I know.

cheers

Dave