Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2.0 Sr Diesel Consumption Shock!

Auris Girl 08

Hi guys,

After owning my new car for nearly a month now, I have been mortified to see how quickly it guzzles diesel. I dont even seem to be even getting 40 MPG. I have now had to drastically change the way i drive to proper granny style driving, which means, i cant fly on the motorways, as i had hoped. I cant overtake or change lanes like i used to in my 1.7 Astra. I find myself sticking to 70mph and stuck behind the car in front during my entire journey. This is most certainly not how i imagined to be driving this car. I filled my tank last night, and its telling me i will only get 359 miles, and my astra gave me over 400miles with a full tank.

Is there anything i can have done to the car to increase its MPG. Its due a service next month, so I will mention to Toyota and see what they advice.

Otherwise i may just keep it a year and trade it in for an more economical option.

Im so sad. :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P34RC3

• Auris Girl 08

• Daveyonthemove

• Uncle Buck

check out Fuelly

http://www.fuelly.com/

See if other owners are getting the same.. also track your MPG by creating an account and update the account when you add fuel and how many miles you get.. then you can see for sure.

There could be a fault with the car

Thanks Steve, I have just had a quick look at the website, and there are no Auris' same as mine, just Hybrid ones reporting 50mpg+. Ill open an account and see if i can find anything out through that.

I have read reviews on the net where people have complained to be getting really low MPG than manufacturer has stated.

I just find myself conscious now of driving and keeping my foot as much off the accelerator as i can, just to keep my instant MPG to a high level.

Is it a T180? That's the sort of mileage those get... I assumed the lower-spec ones would be more economical?

It is winter which is quite punishing for diesels, but generally the 'going rate' for a normal Auris 2.0D4D is 40-odd mpg for town driving and 50-odd mpg for motorway driving.

There are two thoughts on economical driving with a diesel; One is that you should accelerate gently and smoothly. This doesn't work for me; I find I get better mpg if I accelerate quite briskly and climb the gears get into 4th or 5th ASAP, often skipping 3rd gear entirely if I'm the only person in the car, then continue on with as little pedal pressure as needed (In 5th down a hill my Yaris will happily roll on the tickover!)

The pulse and glide technique works pretty well with diesels too.

TBH tho', if you want economy, the 1.4D4D is a much much better engine - It's nowhere near as fun to drive in a car as heavy as an Auris compared to the 2.0D4D, but is way more economical. (It's more or less the same engine as in my Yaris, but the Yaris is much lighter so it's much more fun :D)

If you can afford it, the Auris HSD does give the best of both worlds tho'...

Or, if you don't need the space, get a diesel Yaris :D

Your not the first to complain about their consumption.No one is going to get the consumption that makers claim. they arrive at the claimed miliage under ideal conditions that you cannot match on the road.

Maybe the new models fitted with the BMW engines maybe an improvemet.But thats no consolation to you.

If your doing les than 15000 miles a year your better off with a petrol engine,but not the same performance,if its not a turbo model.

Cyker, I opted for the 2.0 engine coz i did alot of long distance driving and needed a car that goes and was powerful. I dont think its the T180, its the one lower. Im not a position to change my car just yet, as i have paid an arm and a leg on this one. I think my astra was more fun to drive than this one.

I was devastated after i put in £50 last week and did 2 motorway journeys, each about 130 miles in total, and thats it, the whole lot just went! now ive filled the tank again, and lets see how long that lasts.

Acetip, i might opt for a petrol next time, although i do about 15,000 per year anyway.

I had a astra. mine was the 1.9 16v 150bhp. That was getting 55+ on the motorway. Vags are the same. Seems these toyota diesel engines are not that fuel efficient. Still im happy as compared to my focus st im getting 2x the distance on the same amout of fuel. Admittedly not as fun to drive tho.

P34RC3, do you have a 2.2 Auris, how much MPG do you get out of your car?

yes i do. Iv actually just got back from the Shell garage. I drive round town most of the time and not economically. I just got 315miles from a tank with my average now down to 29.9

P34RC3, do you have a 2.2 Auris, how much MPG do you get out of your car?

hi i have Auirs t180 i am geting 28 to 31 MPG out of my car 2007

I have t180, around town I get about 36. On a run I get about 41.

Yh mines a 57 plate. Best iv seen was a run from the midlands to London where i got 42mpg. I also use millers fuel additive.

do you find fuel additive makes a difference??

Auris Girl, I would suspect there is a problem somewhere.

Firstly, I try to remember that colder days will make the car feel faster, but also guzzle fuel quicker. This happens to most cars, so if it has been cold around your area lately, that is a contributing factor.

Secondly, what brand of fuel do you use?

There are multiple threads about supermarkets fuels being the same, or cheaper and all fuel is from the same hole in the ground, but I assure you that some fuels do make the engine run better. Personally I stick to Shell. Mostly fuel saver, but occasionally Vpower. You will notice a difference if you try Vpower over at least one tank full, and both of these fuels use additives and detergent packs to remove build ups. BP and Texaco also offer similar fuels.

The free and easy solutions are:

1) Check air filter. If the car can't breathe, it will struggle just like us humans. Blow it out or clean with a hoover if it's obviously clogged up.

2) Reset the ECU. There is a fuse under the bonnet for the ECU which will keep all other settings on memory, but reset the ECU. I can't recall from memory which fuse it is, but your handbook will be able to help. There are 3 common methods. 1 is to remove the fuse and then pump the brake peddle a few times in order to discharge any electrical current that could retain memory. replace fuse and drive economically and hope it learns this style of driving. 2, remove fuse and leave for 30+ mins. This does the same as the 1st method but obviously takes longer. 3, remove negative Battery terminal for 20 mins. This will reset all radio presets and dash memory like time and date,so only do this if you are prepared to re-set it all.

The next tip is to get some electrical contact spray and very carefully spray the MAF element to clean it up. It will dissolve on its own so give it a few thorough blasts with drying time in between. DO NOT touch it, they are fragile and expensive. It's not worth the risk of handling it when there is no need.

If none of that works, then get the dealer to check it over. Could be an over active injector or some other problem that would need their attention.

Bear in mind that I do most of the above once every 4 months and my SR180 has returned 43mpg over a 2 year period, and has seen low 50's and high 40's on motorway runs by sitting at 1900rpm (I don't worry about the speed).

Don't forget to check tyre pressures too!

What should they be? I made another thread on this lol. Do you suspect there could be a fault with my car? i cleaned the egr and reset the ecu. Not cleaned the maf sensor yet tho.

do you find fuel additive makes a difference??

To economy on the auris im not sure. On my astra i got about 1.5mpg max but it feels alot better to drive. Its like using v power but cheaper. I found on my astra when i used a tuning box it went up by about 3mpg maybe slightly more down the motorway but i only bought one for increased performance.

Must be the time of year . Brought my SR180 in April and was getting between 38-50mpg depending on roads.Now its December can only get around 32-36mpg.

Davey, although your suggestions seem like worth a try, seems all abit too technical for me, after all i am a Woman!! . Ill get someone who knows what they are doing to have a look.

I will check the tyre pressures tommorrow. Supppose i could put a bit more air in them.

I normally fill my car up at Esso. I never use supermarket as i believe their quality is not brilliant - (although i could be wrong). I used to fill my old car at tesco, but it seems Esso is cheaper these days. As you sugessted, i might give Shell V Power a go once the current tank finishes.

Being a woman isn't a handicap!

If you can lift the bonnet to check the oil and top up screen wash, you should be able to lift a cover off the fuse box (top right corner) and locate a fuse to remove it.

The MAF isn't as tricky as it sounds, you probably need the right torx head attachment with not many people have.

Esso fuel should be fine, but it won't hurt to try another brand if you can. On a previous car I found BP diesel to have a negative effect on how my car drove, sounded and the MPG. Shell always brought it back to life. Worth a try and probably very little price difference to worry about.

If it feels better on Shell, get a loyalty card so you can get money off vouchers every quarter. If you'r doing 15k a year, the vouchers should add up quickly.

I use Esso most of the time because there's only one Shell garage within 50 miles and it's extortionate ! It runs fine on that.

My SR180 is averaging 41.3 MPG at the moment, but it did go down to 39 during that cold snap (-3 deg C here).

Being a woman isn't a handicap!

If you can lift the bonnet to check the oil and top up screen wash, you should be able to lift a cover off the fuse box (top right corner) and locate a fuse to remove it.

The MAF isn't as tricky as it sounds, you probably need the right torx head attachment with not many people have.

Esso fuel should be fine, but it won't hurt to try another brand if you can. On a previous car I found BP diesel to have a negative effect on how my car drove, sounded and the MPG. Shell always brought it back to life. Worth a try and probably very little price difference to worry about.

If it feels better on Shell, get a loyalty card so you can get money off vouchers every quarter. If you'r doing 15k a year, the vouchers should add up quickly.

where is the MAFin the t180 how do you remove and clean it and replace it

The MAF is just at the back of the air box where the black air intake (the big one that connects air box to the engine)connects to air box, usually a plug connector into it and its held on by two screws. Easy job to do. Ive got into the habit of cleaning the EGR valve and MAFs on both cars every 20k or so.

Fuel wise, I use mainly Esso with around every third BP Ultimate, V power - stay well away from Supermarket fuels though.

In fact, I think Paul / Uncle Buck seen me filling up tonight at BP Elgin but not sure though.

As Paul above too, I'm seeing low 40's on 40 mile trip to work, high 30's if kicking about town.

Sure did Aaron - I thought 'Oh I wonder who that white 5-dr Auris belongs to ?' :)