Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla With Issues- Help Please

J-Lancs

Hello all,

I'm new to toyota and to petrol engines so please help with any ideas/suggestions with my following problem.

Right, the problem I'm having is the car 'misfiring' when engine warmed up, when cold it's fine but once it has been running on warm for a while (like 25-30 mins or more) the engine starts juddering and the gas pedal becomes somewhat 'irrelevant' as the car tends to speed up and slow down erratically (not enough to be classed as dangerous but enough for a driver to notice).

There are a few bits of info I have gathered to help diagnose the problem for the more technical amongst us (hope it helps)

Car is an X plate 2000 1.4 VVti GS (3Dr)

• Exhaust has been changed recently (back box and pipe leading towards cat?
  • Mechaninc had to cut the exhaust in the middle and 'Retro-fit' the exhaust onto the older piece but no sensors or other parts were disturbed or moved in the process.
  • MAF sensor has been cleaned and installed twice by me within a week (cleaned with an electronic cleaner spray)
  • happens more frequently as the engine runs on warmer temp
  • almost 'chugged' to a halt last monday as i was dong alot of local driving (2 hours)
  • motorway seems ok however i do notice a slight 'pull-back' at times
  • Car sometimes feel really light and 'ready to go' whereas other times feels like there is smething restraining it.
  • There is NO EML (Engine Management Light) on

Most of these symptoms lead to the Lambda (o2) sensor?

Please Advice with any ideas or fixes; anything i should do or look for?

Can i take out the Lambda sensor and Clean it?

I saw a youtube video of a guy actually removing the Lambda Sensor from above the car, is this possible (pre cat)?

Lambda's seem quite expensive (75-85 quid)- is there an alternative as I am quite tight at the minute running 2 cars.

Any help Appreciated, thankyou

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J-Lancs

• Coroller15

• madvinegar

• Deggs

Sorry, forgot to mention that the last owner had only changed the oil during his time of ownership and didn't change the spark plugs.

Some people i'm talking to are saying that spark plugs ned to be genune Toyota (Denso) ones? otherwise Toyota's apparently tend to misfire and behave in such ways as described above.

due to me being completely new, I dont know how much of this ti take seriously but hopefully someone here will verify.

Thanks

Maybe MAF or Throttle Body?

Maybe MAF or Throttle Body?

Thanks for your response.

I've cleaned out the MAF and also cleaned the throttle body woth Carb Cleaner (opened airbox and sprayed it through that way).

I also used Redex and chucked half a bottle down the airbox the same was that i did with the carb cleaner.

The problem fgoes for a short while (hours) but returns again.

Any ideas anyone?

problem is still there although slightly lesser than before.

should i just get it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and place the codes on here for help?

Any air leaks ?

Hello mate, thanks for your help.

No leaks that i know of apart from one that i can hear 'developing' on the exhaust middle section (approx). I just had the exhaust backbox replaced but funnily enough the he part i got had to be retro-fitted onto the car i.e. the axhaust had to be cut and the pipe welded around trhe midpoint of the current axhaust.

I think my issue could be Cat related? I think the cat might be blocked so working inefficiently? also with the developing leak around the cat area it might further suggest a blocked Cat as the air is having to escape through a leak.

I really don't know but this car has been trouble since the day i bought it. :(

Another problem from this week is that sometimes when i put it in gear, the gear stick get's stuck and doesn't slot out in order for me to change up/down. at lights In have to turn the car off, de-press clutch and press it again in order to pull gearstick out and put it in gear again.

this seems to be a spiralling beyond repair.

With all these probs,do a diagnostic check if its worth it get it fixed. If not get shut

Sorry i cant be more helpful

With all these probs,do a diagnostic check if its worth it get it fixed. If not get shut

Sorry i cant be more helpful

Aye up again mate,

You're right, best would be to get a diagnostic check and take it from there.

Got the car booked in for tomorrow.

Funnily enough NO lights have been set off by the EM?? i'm wondering wether the last owner has removed a fuse or some sort

of connection that stops the EML lights showing?

Hi guys, Update:

The mechanic has advised that ALL of the problems listed above has been due to the Clutch Cylinder going, new one being fitted on today.

I'm sceptical and questioning wherther he diagnosed the problem via cable (HE is said to own the latest and best diagnostic tools/systems).

Can a clutch cylinder really cause all this?? Can anyone help with their input?

Surely a clutch sylinder can make the car run rough upto the clutch 'failure'??

What does the clutch cylinder have to do with the misfiring of your engine???

Have you tried changing spark plugs? Try "colder" spark plugs like denso IK20. This seems to help a lot with your problem.

Also check the belt-tensioner!

What does the clutch cylinder have to do with the misfiring of your engine???

Have you tried changing spark plugs? Try "colder" spark plugs like denso IK20. This seems to help a lot with your problem.

Also check the belt-tensioner!

Thanks Madvinegar (Cool name!).

I just had it serviced a few weeks ago, but i dont know what parts was used. He isn't the most honest of mechanics but 'EveryOne' uses him if you know know what i mean. :s

Where would i find these spark plugs mate? I did searchfor some genuine Denso ones specific to my car and they were on eBay. I do remember reading some posts which mentioned that spark plugs (even newly fitted) can cause this as they are not genuine. The last guy didnt change them for 2 years-he just changed the oil and filter.

Now i am questioning wether is it misfiring.... it's a bit like the car is being pulled back with something (like a stretchy rope say) and it lets go and then it happens again...and it lets go..and again....

when i press the clutch in or put it in neutral the car is fine, and very quiet i must say.

I do believe the recent clutch issue could be related to the cylinder but this...im not sure.

will have to see it after driving it...wont pay him till its done. he assured me the pulling back was due to faulty clutch...

Hope all goes well my friend.

Tnaks mate, I hope so too. Although i'm not optimistic at all...mainly coz the car has been trouble since the day i bought it (1st Dec 2012) and 2ndly ive given it to a mad-mechanic.

fingers crossed for a miracle

...it's a bit like the car is being pulled back with something (like a stretchy rope say) and it lets go and then it happens again...and it lets go..and again....

hello, I have the same problem in my corolla E12 1.4 vvt-i. First I thoght it was caused by misfiring, vvt-i drum or AFM etc. Finally I also think this problem is caused by faulty clutch (I read a lot about this on different websites).

Can You pls tell me if new clutch solves thi problem?

ps. I bought my corolla in may 2012 and I expirienced this problen since I bought it.

best regards

Artur

UPDATE:

Well i got the car back yesterday, it was diagnosed and it came up with a clutch related problem; Mass fly cylinder? I don't quite know which part but i was quite taken back by the clutch diagnosis.

Well the car drives spot on! and it really climbs up the revs nicely. I didnt drive it much due to the weather (I was cold) lol. but it seems to have done the job.

Coroller15: i have replied to your PM mate. :)

now onto the next problem, the slight blowing from the exhaust.

Can anyone tell me if my car has a catalytic convertor? Ive probably misunderstood most of what ive read regarding pre cat and post cat etc. Can anyone tell me if mine does and if so, shall i just get it de-cat'd? anyone know any implications/risks or even benefits?

Ive been told by an older family friend (who knows abit about cars) that decat'ing will help with better flow and more bhp?

i firstly need to know wether mine has got one or not though.

Thanks guys.

... clutch related problem; Mass fly cylinder?... but it seems to have done the job.

I am still thinking what kind of part of the clutch was replaced...because as far as I know there is no mass fly cylinder (or am I wrong?). There is a part called mass fly wheel but it is in diesel engines (?). Have You seen this part which they replaced? Is it one of those:post-128617-0-82812700-1358514419.jpg post-128617-0-39576800-1358514475.jpg ?

Can anyone tell me if my car has a catalytic convertor? ..

Ive been told by an older family friend (who knows abit about cars) that decat'ing will help with better flow and more bhp?

Yesy your car has got a catalytic converter. I don't know if in your model but in mine (2005) there is a TWC (triple way catalytic converter - or something like that).

If you decide to cut it of You will be forced to change something in ECU because lambda sensor would get bad signal. Of course you will get a little more power if You cut catalytic conv off but do You really need to do it?

Anyway, You say You didn,t notice problems with "stretchy rope" after replaceing this part in the clutch? I will have to change the same part (but first must identify it :dontgetit: ). I will do it myself so I need to pay just for the new part. Anyway, can You pls call your mechanic and ask him to tell You which part was replaced :fireman:

best ragrds

Artur

If I recall, your corolla is a 2000 built so it is the facelift E11.

I think this corolla only has one main catalyst.

Only E12 corollas (2002 and onwards) have two catalysts. One main and one pro-catalyst. Indeed if you de-cat the pro-catalyst and leave only the main one, you see noticable gain. I've done that and I can confirm it.

... clutch related problem; Mass fly cylinder?... but it seems to have done the job.

I am still thinking what kind of part of the clutch was replaced...because as far as I know there is no mass fly cylinder (or am I wrong?). There is a part called mass fly wheel but it is in diesel engines (?). Have You seen this part which they replaced? Is it one of those:post-128617-0-82812700-1358514419.jpg post-128617-0-39576800-1358514475.jpg ?

Can anyone tell me if my car has a catalytic convertor? ..

Yesy your car has got a catalytic converter. I don't know if in your model but in mine (2005) there is a TWC (triple way catalytic converter - or something like that).

If you decide to cut it of You will be forced to change something in ECU because lambda sensor would get bad signal. Of course you will get a little more power if You cut catalytic conv off but do You really need to do it?

Anyway, You say You didn,t notice problems with "stretchy rope" after replaceing this part in the clutch? I will have to change the same part (but first must identify it :dontgetit: ). I will do it myself so I need to pay just for the new part. Anyway, can You pls call your mechanic and ask him to tell You which part was replaced :fireman:

best ragrds

Artur

Hi there again mate,

Unfortunately i didn't pick the car up from the mechanics, got my brother to pick it up. I work daytime hours so i won't be able to see him till tomorrow (he sometimes opens @ wekends depending on how busy he is)

I think i remember him saying something along the lines of Master clutch cylinder?

I'm sorry that's all I can help you with as of now.

If I recall, your corolla is a 2000 built so it is the facelift E11.

I think this corolla only has one main catalyst.

Only E12 corollas (2002 and onwards) have two catalysts. One main and one pro-catalyst. Indeed if you de-cat the pro-catalyst and leave only the main one, you see noticable gain. I've done that and I can confirm it.

That's right mate, its a X plate (but registered Jan 2001) Corolla E11.

As for the facelift, well I have yet to see the little differences between the pre-facelift and post....something to do with lights being a different chape also?

So just the one Catalytic Convertor.

I'm trying to think ahead coz most likely that blowing sound will worsen so So i most likely will need a new CAT at the time.

Just thought a decat would have been cheaper? but if the ecu is involved then i think i will stick to the normal.

Anyone know any place where i can get it @ a competitive price?

eBay doesn't seem to selling one specific for the 2000 E11 1.4 vvti, or would others fit? Please help with any insider info i.e. if a 1.6 vvti would fit etc?

thanks again guys

I think i remember him saying something along the lines of Master clutch cylinder?

this part:

post-128617-0-13646500-1358519806_thumb.

could cause problems with putting the gaer. You wrote sometimes You had to press clutch pedal twice.

I am not sure but this couldn't cause problem which we call "stretchy rope" which was similar to misfiring...

Does anyone think this part could cause the engine (front of the car) struggle? I guess not but ...

best regards

Artur

this part:

post-128617-0-13646500-1358519806_thumb.

could cause problems with putting the gaer. You wrote sometimes You had to press clutch pedal twice.

I am not sure but this couldn't cause problem which we call "stretchy rope" which was similar to misfiring...

Does anyone think this part could cause the engine (front of the car) struggle? I guess not but ...

best regards

Artur

I really couldn't help you roday mate, the mechanic even ordered the part for me so i'm quite unsure.

i know you're dilemma, thats exactly what mine was...but i really do believe now that its clutch related

whereas at forst i couldn't quite believe the 'stretchy rope' syndrome was related to the clutch but it does seem the problem has gone

Corry Coroller15,

I didnt find out which part because the dreaded thing happened on friday evening; I bumped into another car!

Still kicking myself but 'what's to be will be' i suppose.

The part above the bumper (the grill/lights surround) is dented and the bonnet is slightly 'moved'.

Sourced both parts £60 so will see how i get on.

HATE the snow! :disgust:

the dreaded thing happened on friday evening; I bumped into another car!

hello there,

terrible thing happend to You... but sometimes thing like this happens :disgust:

I hope You will repair your car as soon as possible.

Did You drive much enaught before this happend to notice if the engine was working correctly? Was there the problem with syndrome "stretchy rope"?

best regards

Artur

the dreaded thing happened on friday evening; I bumped into another car!

hello there,

terrible thing happend to You... but sometimes thing like this happens :disgust:

I hope You will repair your car as soon as possible.

Did You drive much enaught before this happend to notice if the engine was working correctly? Was there the problem with syndrome "stretchy rope"?

best regards

Artur

Hello mate, sorry for the very late reply.

Ive handed the car back to the garage for the same 'stretchy rope' problem. Although not as bad as before it is still there and getting worser day by day (although ot as worse as before touch wood).

The mechanic stated that the problem is with the fuel 'delivery' or fuel issue as he put it.

Now things are sort of falling into place in my mind; could it be the OXYGEN SENSOR? I vaguely recall on other threads that a 'Fuel related problem' comes up when the Lambda Sensor starts failing?? could it be due to the unproportionate mixture of air and fuel that has maybe caused my exhaust CAT to rumble and possible need replacing?

I think i would have to try that...but if anybody else can shed some light on this as well as Artur then that would be appreciated.

I think the clutch failing around the same time threw many 'angles' in my head which has delayed the response to you matey, apologies. As well as the bump that snowy weekend (can anything else go wrong for me at thie moment in time???)