Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla With Issues- Help Please

J-Lancs

hello Bil,

no I didn't manage to fix the problem yet but still trying. You know my car wasn't accident free. The right fron wheel was hit and moved by about about 5 cm to the back side. Today I lifted the car (right side) and started the engine and it seems that the right half-shaft is a little bit curved and the is a mark on car's frame where the half-shaft hit. So I will try to remove this half-shaft and look closer. Will inform you soon.

best regards

Artur

• 1 month later...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J-Lancs

• Coroller15

• madvinegar

• Deggs

hello Bil,

no I didn't manage to fix the problem yet but still trying. You know my car wasn't accident free. The right fron wheel was hit and moved by about about 5 cm to the back side. Today I lifted the car (right side) and started the engine and it seems that the right half-shaft is a little bit curved and the is a mark on car's frame where the half-shaft hit. So I will try to remove this half-shaft and look closer. Will inform you soon.

best regards

Artur

Aye up mate,

Any luck with the car so far? I've been away for a while whilst tending to the Golf; getting it MOT worthy and a few other bits like tracking and service etc.

I think My corolla's steering pump is on it's way; It's recently become intermittently harder to turn at times and in general the steering has become a touch more harder.

Last week I breaked and turned into a car park when suddenly it made a clunking noise and it wouldn/t turn AT ALL! I nitially I thought something had broken off and was maybe obstructing the drive shaft. I had to leave the car like that and go off to work for a few hours, afterwards I started the car and started reversing it out of the car park and the steering at this time was HEAVY and the steering wheel would travel a 1/4 turn and then get stuck...I somehow managed to keep rolling the car whilst steering and drive it out of the car park, Then MIRACULOUSLY the steering wheel went back to normal!! I was quite astonished but thought I would monitor the steering So i have concluded that the steering has infact become harder and it's more harder after initial startup and then starts to ease off.

I have checked steeing fluid and that was ok, however I still topped it up a little anyway just in case.

I have also noticed a drive belt (?) which can be seen from the engine bay on the elft hand side (drivers side) has probably seen better days. My understanding is the steering pump has a Pulley that gets wounded by this belt? I could be wrong. well this belt has got cracks in the 'teeth'...loads of them however it does seem to be doing the jb at the minute.

can you or anyone else help me with this problem? Is the steering pump a diy job I can tackle at home? does anyoone have the part number for the steering pump? I have found one on eBay but it says it's from 2002 1.4 vvti whereas mine is 2000.

Hello,

nothing has changed with my corolla yet :disgust: and I am not sure if the problem can be solved. Anyway, I found several guys with corollas who have the same problem as I have and they also have not solved this yet. It is not very optimistic for me :hang:

Regarding your problem, If You say that in certain conditions your stering wheel get stuck it seems there can be a problem with steering gear. As far as I know when there is something wrong with steering pump you are able to move your steering wheel but it works very hevily.

According to my opinion You should first remove this drive belt and check if the pulley in the pump can be turn easly. If it works just install new drive belt and then check how steering wheel works.

best regards

Artur

Hello,

nothing has changed with my corolla yet :disgust: and I am not sure if the problem can be solved. Anyway, I found several guys with corollas who have the same problem as I have and they also have not solved this yet. It is not very optimistic for me :hang:

Regarding your problem, If You say that in certain conditions your stering wheel get stuck it seems there can be a problem with steering gear. As far as I know when there is something wrong with steering pump you are able to move your steering wheel but it works very hevily.

According to my opinion You should first remove this drive belt and check if the pulley in the pump can be turn easly. If it works just install new drive belt and then check how steering wheel works.

best regards

Artur

Thanks Artur mate, will do that.

The steering wheel 'failed' on me once, where It was heavy steering as well the steering wheel getting 'stuck' and requiring alot of force to turn...abit like the old cars without power steering...remember them days? :)

So my instincts tell me it's the steering pump but i will change the drive belt on it since it's a step in the right direction anyway.

will let you know how i get on.

As for your problem... I DO consider myself very very lucky to have somewhat resolved the problem or majority of it. I have read many causes for this and It renges from O2 Sensors to whole engine failures :no: ..so i really don't know what to say mate.

I do now suspect that I have a/some faulty coilpacks as i have a fluctuating rev counter... not very erratic but +/- 200 revs I would say... :help2:

• 1 month later...

I need some help again with please people.

ERRATIC IDLE problem, revs jump between 800-1300, never below 800 and no higher than 1400. when I start the car up it stays 'steady' around 1200 but as it warms up the 'jumpyness' kicks in.

It started last week after a smnall incident; my mate who believes in HHO (hydrogen being pumped into your combustion chambers via air intake pipe) tried to install the device on my car to test it on mine but we kind of messed up by 'blocking' the accelerator cable and this resulted in the revs shooting up towards MAX when i took off for the test drive but luckily shut engine off before it reached max. I turned the engine one more time and same thing as before so I turned engine off again only to open the bonnet and realise that the accelerator cable was 'trapped'.

Freed the cable and took off the whole set-up of the HHO and car was normal-ish until i realised the Erratic Idle Issue.

Now Could the settings on the throttle body have changed due to this? could this be why it's doing it? or culd it be failing Coil Packs like what I have been suspecting for a while now on the car (before this the revs were casually fluctuating between 600-800 ish revs whilst on Idle).

Any help on my forevever problematic car appreciated.

• 5 years later...

Erratic and fast idle is often a sticking Idle Air Control IAC valve. It's the air bypass round the throttle butterfly when idling, so obviously if it's not moving properly the idle is affected.

Plenty of tutorials on YouTube for this. Mine was seized, and idled at about 1200 to 1400. Took throttle off, dismantled and cleaned IAC (toothbrush and carb cleaner - wear gloves!) and idle was sorted.

Hopefully just that. Seems it's actually very common.

Yep, IAC...take off and give it good clean.

Did you know this is 5 year old thread....... 🙂

• Haha 1

Hehe, missed that totally roks; the date is so small and shows grey on grey on my phone! I wonder why it showed up in my feed? Hopefully J-Lancs got sorted!