Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Vvti New Battery All Lights On Dash (No Dimming) Bu

Toyotanewby

About a week or so ago I noticed the turnover of the engine was quite sluggish but sprang to life still on first turn of the key despite the Battery sounding low. Anyway thought id give the Battery a charge to see if it improved any as wife uses it for work which involves short trips and always at night with heater on and lights. So charged the Battery no improvement became flat and engine wouldn't start dead apart from dash lights and fuel pump noise. So I put a newer battery on smaller size that worked temporarily especially being over xmas and new year and places not being open and wife works nearly all evenings. Anyway came to the point were nothing was happening again so thought time for a new battery so purchased one yesterday however same symptoms are showing as a flat one. Checked battery voltage at 13 volts when I turn key with interior and headlights on no dimming but won't start no noise except a whirring noise and a very quiet beep noise. What I was wondering aprt from the obvious of starter motor not working or indeed stuck could this be an immobiliser issue with nothing happening when the key is turned? Would be extremely grateful of any pointers and where would the starter motor be situated on this vehicle?? Cheers

Sounds like start motor stuck.. i recently had this where i did let go of the key before starting properly, so the starter was stuck.

What you need is to two of you to fix this, get someone to turn the key and give the starter motor a tap with a bit of wood at the same time... it will engage then... if it dont work then hit it harder... need a fairly good clonk

The Avensis is prone to the ignition switch being faulty too, the electrical part on the back of the key/barrell, everything will light up but you are not energising the starter. A new switch is about £50

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi guys thanks for your prompt replies. Was funny discussing at a car spares place today and he reckoned starters jamming was a relatively old problem because of the design of new starters. He suggested the switch on the ignition or bad earths which he thought toyotas particularly prone to with having small surface area connections. Mind you if it was a bad earth the lights would dim on attempting to start or indeed no lights whatsoever. Switch looking favourite and always start with the cheapest option first. Thanks again guys.

Well Ive taken the ignition assy switch off and even removed the outer casing for the switch to see if it looks worn or damaged inside and to be honest no obvious signs of a problem with it. Does anyone know what the main signs are that this switch may have a problem? Cheers Andrew

. Does anyone know what the main signs are that this switch may have a problem? Cheers Andrew

Yes. You car will not start :D:

Sorry, could'nt resist :thumbsup:

You need a multimeter or somebody who has one to check the switch out, to see what is happening when you make the "switch" by turning the key

I reckon that is your problem. 90% sure it will be, but get the starter checked too. Normally when you apply a load to the starter the lights dim, this is why I think its the switch, the starter sounds like it is not being energised

Kingo :thumbsup:

This sounds a lot like the starter motor to me - but it would be worth having it checked before shelling out for a new one cos they're not cheap. My car did the same as yours. The RAC chap suggested the starter due to the huge load required to start th car but when Toyota checked it the Battery was diagnosed first as it was actually damaged so we changed it. A few days later the new Battery was flat. The starter motor had given up and in the process killed two batteries. Fortunately the new Battery was replaced under warranty while the starter was being replaced.

Thanks once again guys for your responses. Tried a fresh assy switch and still the same so next option will be to clonk the starter lol but apparently the preengaged variety so more than likely a overhaul job rather than just being stuck from what I can gleen.

Parts King when you mention lights dimming does that include the centre console display as that goes off when you put the key to start position any other lights remain bright as ever??

Have you checked the solenoid wire at the starter motor?

It could be loose or have come off.

It will be the thin wire that goes to a small connection on the side of the motor

starter solenoid contacts, easy peasy job,

inside the solenoid are two copper contacts, these have worn and not allowing current to pass thro to the actual starter moter

Hi well its definitely the starter motor. Took it to local car parts shop and tested it in front of me. Nothing happened when a supply was connected directly onto the starter motor connector. So looks like the easiest option is going to be a re conditioned unit. Once again thanks for your help on this forum.

If you can find an auto electrician he will probably fix it for a fraction of the cost - but these guys are becoming more difficult to find.

It's ok now guys up and running again managed to fit the replacement starter last Friday. Their are some guys locally who can refurb motors but getting a recon one was the quicker more reliable option. The cost was £92 for a Bosch refurb with exchange. Still a heck of a lot cheaper having changed it myself at least. So big thanks for the help on this forum!!

That sounds like a good price and a job well done. Plenty of money saved. You did well.

Cheers Druid Boy. Has to be done these with all factors conspiring to price us off the road what with the latest fiddle that makes it so you have to sorn a vehicle if it isn't insurance and the like. Done to stop car usage when it shouldn't be what a load of boloney if those that want to do that want to they will carry on doing so. Oops feel soap box coming out lol. Anyway thanks again guys.