Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Budget Tyre Advice Required Asap...please?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI ALL... :flowers:

I am more confused than ever.

Okay i/we have some 17" genuine Toyota alloys to replace the existing 16" alloys on the car now (2006 1.6 sr corolla) which have Mitchelin 195/55/16 tyres whereas the 17" alloys we bought need new tyres.

Now i'm not really looking to spend too much on them,i know you get what you pay for,and that you shouldn't compromise when it comes to tyres,but i've never been serious about what brand tyre i buy.

But i would like to know your opinions on the best brand budgets to buy? So far i've been recommended Events, Kendals, Nexen, Primewell, BCT, etc all in the region of up to £50 per tyre. I've know idea their speed ratings,rain ratings,or road noise ratings if any of thats important.

But more important than all...whats really confusing me is the size i need...i believed we needed 215/45/R17...but today i've been told by various places that i need either 205/45/R17 OR 215/40/R17..

i'm so totally lost now and really wanted to have some fitted this weekend...please help? :lol2:

Of the ones you've mentioned, would probably go for the Nexens (Korean) or Events (Dutch brand). Others are either Chinese (Primewell, BCT) or Taiwanese (Kenda).

Speed rating - at least H, preferably V (think the SR would probably have had V rated tyres, so I would go for these).

Of the ones you've mentioned, would probably go for the Nexens (Korean) or Events (Dutch brand). Others are either Chinese (Primewell, BCT) or Taiwanese (Kenda).

Speed rating - at least H, preferably V (think the SR would probably have had V rated tyres, so I would go for these).

Thanks Frosty...but what about the tyre size? 215/45/r17...or 205/45/R17 OR 215/40/R17..any thoughts? :ermm:

I had Nexens on my last car and was satisfied so when I need to replace mine I will go for the same.

My son has just replaced two tyres on his Focus with them and has no complaints either

My local indie recommended these and he had some on his car, and he has not let me down in my dealings whith him over a good number of years

HTH

Del

Found this conversion table on the web:

http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

This enables you to input your current 16 inch size and compare what effect larger sizes of wheel/tyre will have, on things like your speedometer reading. 205/45/17 looks OK according to this chart. Ideally your speedometer should show more (ie be optimistic) than the actual speed you're travelling.

The other thing to consider is how wide a tyre (ie 215 rather than 195) you can fit before it causes problems with rubbing on the inside of the wheelarch, etc.

Hi Sam!!

I have 17 x 7J OZ Ultraleggera alloys on my car and have fitted 225/45/R17 tyres on it - just to add to your confusion!!

I would recommend you go for either 225/215 45 R17's for your alloys, whichever you can get the cheapest. :thumbsup:

@Frosty - Great link! :D Bookmarked!

225/45/17's would make the speedo under-read - which is illegal - and would need the speedo to be recalibrated. It is illegal for speedometers to under-read, and to over-read by more than 10%.

THANK YOU Lorna2...i'm on to that now :flowers:

THANK YOU Frostballs...i've bookmarked that :flowers:

THANK YOU Veracity...for more added confusion...lol...but i'll look ino 225's now...dear lord :boxed::flowers:

What about taking a look here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

This site is brilliant...infact i think i've just decided...i'm going for the Marshals...has some good reviews and seem excellent in wet/dry...and at £210 all in for a set of 4 of 205/40/r17 its not too bad....BUT BUT BUT...

then would i be better off with 205/45/r17's??? or is it no biggy?

Any suggestions? except Veracity lol with his 225 recommendations!

What about taking a look here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

This site is brilliant...infact i think i've just decided...i'm going for the Marshals...has some good reviews and seem excellent in wet/dry...and at £210 all in for a set of 4 of 205/40/r17 its not too bad....BUT BUT BUT...

then would i be better off with 205/45/r17's??? or is it no biggy?

Any suggestions? except Veracity lol with his 225 recommendations!

Just waiting for a callback from my supplier, don't think Marshal do a 205/45/r17 anyway...But i've also come across some kenda kaiser's 205/45/r17's at £180 all in for 4 but they don't look as good...made in Taiwan whereas Marshal are made for the europen market apparently esatblished in Birmingham!

225/45/17's would make the speedo under-read - which is illegal - and would need the speedo to be recalibrated. It is illegal for speedometers to under-read, and to over-read by more than 10%.

So this would mean...according to our special calculator...at a speed of 70mph:

205/40/r17 = 67.27 mph

205/45/r17 = 69.53 mph

215/45/r17 = 70.69 mph

225/45/r17 = 71.58 mph...just so that Veracity knows i considered it lol

So am i right in that 215/45/r17's are my best option...although if i've decided on Marshal tyres i don't think that they do that size apart from the 205/40/r17's ???????????? :doctor:

Marshal tyres are one of the brands that Kumho use in Europe - both made in Korea, and both have their European development centre based here in Birmingham. From the Marshal UK website, they do the Marshal Matrac XM KH35 in 205/40/17 and 215/45/17, and the Marshall Matrac FX MU11 in 205/40/17, 215/40/17, 205/45/17 and 215/45/17. Bear in mind that the lower the profile (the 40 and 45 of the tyre size) the harder the ride in the car - so a 45 profile tyre will definitely give a harder ride than your original 195 profile tyres, and a 40 profile will give a slightly firmer ride than the 45 profile tyre). Think either the 205/45/17 or the 215/45/17 would be OK

The correct size for the compressor alloys is 215/45/17, 225s will more than likely scrubb on the front due to the offset.

I had to buy a set of budgets for my TTE alloys as at the time i couldnt afford anything else.

I picked up a set of 4 autogaurd tyres in 215/45/17 from eBay for the grand total of £177 and paid £20 to have them fitted. In honesty i will probably buy them again, as quite simply there ******* hot for the money i paid. Good wet grip, good dry grip, very good in standanding water and i havent had an issue at all putting the power down in the compressor with them. The only thing that is the fownfall is that there a tiny bit louder than the firestones they replaced. But not enough to say it does my head in or anything :)

The correct size for the compressor alloys is 215/45/17, 225s will more than likely scrubb on the front due to the offset.

I had to buy a set of budgets for my TTE alloys as at the time i couldnt afford anything else.

I picked up a set of 4 autogaurd tyres in 215/45/17 from ebay for the grand total of £177 and paid £20 to have them fitted. In honesty i will probably buy them again, as quite simply there ******* hot for the money i paid. Good wet grip, good dry grip, very good in standanding water and i havent had an issue at all putting the power down in the compressor with them. The only thing that is the fownfall is that there a tiny bit louder than the firestones they replaced. But not enough to say it does my head in or anything :)

HI St

I picked up a set of 4 autogaurd tyres in 215/45/17 from ebay for the grand total of £177 and paid £20 to have them fitted. In honesty i will probably buy them again, as quite simply there ******* hot for the money i paid. Good wet grip, good dry grip, very good in standanding water and i havent had an issue at all putting the power down in the compressor with them. The only thing that is the fownfall is that there a tiny bit louder than the firestones they replaced. But not enough to say it does my head in or anything :)

Hi Steven252...they were dirt cheap at that price...whats the model number for them?

By the way,i'm glad someone understands re the budget factor lol...but everyone's been great so far.

Marshal tyres are one of the brands that Kumho use in Europe - both made in Korea, and both have their European development centre based here in Birmingham. From the Marshal UK website, they do the Marshal Matrac XM KH35 in 205/40/17 and 215/45/17, and the Marshall Matrac FX MU11 in 205/40/17, 215/40/17, 205/45/17 and 215/45/17. Bear in mind that the lower the profile (the 40 and 45 of the tyre size) the harder the ride in the car - so a 45 profile tyre will definitely give a harder ride than your original 195 profile tyres, and a 40 profile will give a slightly firmer ride than the 45 profile tyre). Think either the 205/45/17 or the 215/45/17 would be OK

Morning Frostyballs...so to clarify...i/we prefer a nice n comfortable ride and never liked a hard n stiff ride...so am i right in saying i'd be much better off with 205/40/r17's??? Sorry if i seem so stupid! Or to put it this way...what size do i need for my comfy drive?

No 205/40/17 is a smaller tyre and will be worse for comfort. They will also look like rubber band rather than tyres on the comp rims too.

As said the standard tyre size for them is 215/45/17 :)

Search "autogaurd 215/45/17 4" on eBay, theyll come up :)

Hi Sam - the 45 profile tyres will give a more comfy ride - so 215/45/17, which you can get in both types of the Marshall tyres mentioned earlier (Marshal Matrac XM KH35 and Marshal Matrac FX MU11).

.i/we prefer a nice n comfortable ride and never liked a hard n stiff ride

Hi Sammy,

I'm happy to stick with my 195/60/15

You might want to consider some of these :Jumpy:http://www.coccyx.or...ng/cushions.htm

Thanks for the joke Oldcodger...i'm decided then...its either a 205/45 or a 215/45...prefer the latter though...was supposed to buy them this weekend but its taken me a whoooole week to decide...didn't realise buying tyres could be so stressful!

Just need to sort my insurance now..small problem...kind of...decided to go with Tesco again..rang em 02/01 to advise about upgrading my alloys from 16" to 17"...guy double checked...made him check again...and confirmed it wouldnt affect my premium renewal price or excess what so ever...rang em again 05/01...guy said oh no...it will increase your premium by £160...so now i'm waiting for theor manager to call me to discuss my complaint of having been misinformed the 1st time...normally Tesco customer services are excellent...fingers crossed!

Dont fit 205s to those comp rims :lol: theyll look stupid on them :lol:

215/45/17 is the correct tyre size for them ;)

I wouldnt even tell the insurance company TBH they are a genuine toyota wheel so classed as an optional extra anyway

Whether or not the wheels are genuine Toyota wheels and whether or not they were an option on the car when new, is irrelevant.

The insurance company will want to know whether the car has been changed from the standard specification, and to determine whether the value of the car has been increased.

If the time came to make a claim on the insurance involving damage to one or more of the wheels, and changes to the wheels had not been disclosed, the insurance company would be looking to restore the car to the standard spec (ie in Sam's case the damaged items would be replaced with the standard 195/55/16's).

Also non-disclosure of a modification carries the risk of voiding the insurance.

So Sam is doing the right thing in notifying her insurance of the changes.

When i informed mine i told them that they were part of an accessory pack avalible to my car and that they were added after its purchase. They were happy with that and said that they didnt even need to list them as they were toyota alloys. Although my car came on 17" alloys as standard so there was no increase in size

Depends on the insurance company

Whether or not the wheels are genuine Toyota wheels and whether or not they were an option on the car when new, is irrelevant.

The insurance company will want to know whether the car has been changed from the standard specification, and to determine whether the value of the car has been increased.

If the time came to make a claim on the insurance involving damage to one or more of the wheels, and changes to the wheels had not been disclosed, the insurance company would be looking to restore the car to the standard spec (ie in Sam's case the damaged items would be replaced with the standard 195/55/16's).

Also non-disclosure of a modification carries the risk of voiding the insurance.

So Sam is doing the right thing in notifying her insurance of the changes.

I've got a spinning headache lads...been dealing with Tesco insurance peeps from 10.30am till 4.00pm today with them ringing me every hour to discuss the same matter...they listened back to the initial call and agreed that the initial advisor misinformed me...they confirmed that they are not concerned about the diameter of the 17" wheel nor the height of the tyre to fit it...but only regarding the width of the tyre!!! I stated i'll be looking at a 205 or 215 naturally as its a larger alloy and they said for that extra 10-15mm they have to confirm with their risk assessors tomorrow morning before they can make a decision...its CRAZY...maybe Steven252 has a point...but then Frostyballs puts it right! I told them that i purchased my alloys and tyres after they gave the go ahead that it wouldnt affect my premium...so that means they have caused me a financial a loss if i can't use them! I'm done for today lol! :hammer: