Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cap Covering Wiper Arm Bolt Busted

I noticed recently when jet washing our car that the cap covering the bolt for the wiper arm was loose. I knew this because when I directed the blast of water at the screen, the damn thing flew off and nearly ended up in the large water tank underneath the car. Thanks to my lightning reactions, like, 'Was that?' Paussssseee, 'Oh Dear, it was!' Then I moved when I saw where it landed, right next to the gaping holes in the grid underneath the car. I was lucky I spotted it. I noticed the 'clip's on the inside of the thing and that one of them is broken. I don't expect this will cost much to replace, but what a piece of crap it is to break at all!

Anyway's, I just wanted you all to know and watch out for it yourselves. If you hear -but don't see- something plastic hitting the ground when jet washing your wee iQ, check that one of the covers has not come off.

Pic shows what I mean, but this is not the one that came off, I don't have a good enough pic for that, but the part is the same.

post-113536-0-24022800-1357255758_thumb.

This is one of the reasons I never subject any car bodywork/trim/tyre walls to 100+bar pressure! :)

It would have happily sat there for ever until some thug comes along and blasts it with a million PSI :D: :D: :D:

They cost £2.87 from your dealer

Kingo :thumbsup:

This is one of the reasons I never subject any car bodywork/trim/tyre walls to 100+bar pressure! :)

I have always been careful using any jetwash and am aware of the dangers using them. Always careful when blasting the crap off the alloys and under the wheelarches, same for the grill area but never before had any issue with the part in question. I think perhaps this must have been broken before -the inside grippy bits- as the other one did not come off.

Perhaps we should start a campaign for all in-situ (at garages and so on) jetwashes to have a lever that reduces the pressure when using it on certain parts of the car.

:thumbsup:

It would have happily sat there for ever until some thug comes along and blasts it with a million PSI :D: :D: :D:

They cost £2.87 from your dealer

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Kingo, I knew they couldn't be that expensive. Think I'll get a spare one too, for justin, justin case. You know what, I would have laughed at what happened but I was so surprised to see it go flying off... Let that be a warning to all who jetwash their cars, not just the iQ. Gonna be less thuggish with it next time.

:hammer::nono:

Yer....You Jetwash crew are a dangerous bunch :D: :giljotiini:

:lol:

I've pulled that part off several time with my fingers and it fought me the whole way. Who would have thought water pressure would force it off. Glad it's not going to be an expensive replacement.

It appears you have the same lightning fast reflexes I do... :ermm:

Them wiper arms and the plastic panel behind them need a bit of "back to black" !

Them wiper arms and the plastic panel behind them need a bit of "back to black" !

Point taken. I can see some bubbling under the paint too, what do you recommend for that? I was thinking smooth it down then apply some smooth black hammerite... or not.

Personally I would just treat the rusted areas with an anti rust fluid. The rust will then go black anyway . Then polish up the rest of the arm with some of the aforementioned Back to Black which will cover a multitude of sins.. It probably won't look perfect but would pass all but the closest inspection.

I would avoid trying to paint them unless you are prepared to spray the entire arm. Alternatively you could try to get a couple of arms in better condition from a scrap yard but both those options seem like a lot of work. :no: