Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Steering Rack Recall

canberra27

Hi to all, has anybody had their car checked under this recall yet? I am still waiting for contact from Toyota. Main dealer said originally I should hear from them via letter within 3 weeks or so. It,s well past that time now. I intend contacting dealer again to chase it up.

I've not heard of this recall? And not had any letter? Whats the problem with the steering?

the only recall for steering for the Avensis on the VOSA list is for 2003-2005 production?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=2&pagesize=10&resultString=(TOYOTA%20AVENSIS)%20%20for%20the%20date%20range%2001/Jan/1992%20to%2001/Jan/2012&tx=

the only recall for steering for the Avensis on the VOSA list is for 2003-2005 production?

http://www.dft.gov.u...(TOYOTA AVENSIS)%20%20for%20the%20date%20range%2001/Jan/1992%20to%2001/Jan/2012&tx=

Well, mine is an 07 plate and I've just received my recall letter today. Checked the recall website recommended by Buckminster (thanks for that), and it confirms that the recall does include my car.

Will contact my dealer on Monday for further confirmation/make an appointment.

Cheers guys for the info on the recall...

The latest recall affects certain Avensis and Corolla models registered between July 2001 and March 2009, and certain Prius models registered between July 2003 and April 2009. i have not had a letter about this yet but have just have the recall work done for the trailing arms.

I've tried to call the freephone number but Mr T doesn't open on a Sat it would seem! So I'll have to give them a ring on monday as my car is part of the recall... Not sure what recall and work needs to be done...

I've recieved the letter 3 weeks ago.. steering rack replaced 2 weeks ago ;)

How would they know who to contact via letter i only baught mine 1month ago 55reg from an independent dealer will they send me a letter as it says my car is in the recall

How old is this recall is it from 06

Steve

guess that it is this http://blog.toyota.co.uk/recall-announced-for-toyota-avensis-toyota-corolla-and-toyota-prius .

Strange that it doesn't appear on VOSA especially as Toyota mentions them.

Apparently my car either isn't affected or has already had the work done.

Nice one Scott... Thanks for the link to recall :drunk:

The recall only affects 1.6 & 1.8 vvti models fitted with electronic shaft assisted power steering & does not affect 2.0 & 2.4 vvti nor any Diesel models as they all have hydraulic pump assisted power steering.

On the 1.6 & 1.8 there where two suppliers of the lower steering shaft, only one manufacturers shaft is affected but you have to inspect the car to determine which shaft type is fitted. If you have the affected shaft then you get a new lower steering shaft fitted otherwise nothing else is done.

Hi All

I have just taken my 2011 2.2D4D tourer in to the dealer today AM with a rattle on the steering column had a phone call PM to say parts ordered and will need car until Friday.

The person who rang did not know what parts, I will advise if the soft spline problem when I get it back.

I've just typed my reg in the Toyota recall checker and it says that my T-180 is subject to a recall!... Thought it was just for the petrol versions...

Hi All

I have just taken my 2011 2.2D4D tourer in to the dealer today AM with a rattle on the steering column had a phone call PM to say parts ordered and will need car until Friday.

The person who rang did not know what parts, I will advise if the soft spline problem when I get it back.

Your Avensis is not affected by this recall. Only previous model 1.6 & 1.8 petrols are.

Regards

Devon

I've just typed my reg in the Toyota recall checker and it says that my T-180 is subject to a recall!... Thought it was just for the petrol versions...

The recall checker only states there is a recall out standing, not what recall. I suspect you have either the Avensis tow bar or T180 only ECU recall. Give your dealer a call and they can tell you which and get you booked in. Your Avensis is not affected with the steering recall.

Regards

Devon

The recall checker only states there is a recall out standing, not what recall. I suspect you have either the Avensis tow bar or T180 only ECU recall. Give your dealer a call and they can tell you which and get you booked in. Your Avensis is not affected with the steering recall.

Regards

Devon

Cheers Devon...

My car hasn't got a tow bar so it must be the recall on the ECU that you mentioned. Can you tell me what they need to do to the ECU please?

Cheers

Tim

Regards

Devon

Cheers Devon...

My car hasn't got a tow bar so it must be the recall on the ECU that you mentioned. Can you tell me what they need to do to the ECU please?

Cheers

Tim

If your Avensis is due the ECU recall all that is done is the ECU is reprogrammed with some updated software, All MK2 2003-2009 model Avensis are due a Tow bar recall check.

Witter ( branded Toyota tow bar ) & Brink made a tow bar for your model Avensis , Some Previa & Lexus GS models of the same basic design, the tow bar manufacturers found that under extreme circumstances the removable swans neck may snap through. Because these tow bars could have been fitted by any tow bar installer it would be almost impossible to track down all the affected tow bars, so VOSA approached Toyota with the details of all the affected car ranges and current owners and asked them to recall all of them and report back. We can only do this correctly by seeing the car, so your dealer will need to see the car for a short appointment.

Devon

Many thanks again for the info. I'll give my dealer a ring sometime this week to book in...

Cheers

Hi All

Your Avensis is not affected by this recall. Only previous model 1.6 & 1.8 petrols are.

Regards

Devon

Hi Devon

I know that my car is not on the recall list that is why I said I would report back when I know the cause of the problem.

However if you check again I think you will find that some of the diesel models are included.

Hi

Received my letter last week and have just had the recall work done.

This may be of interest to some of you:

I have had a knocking along the steering column for about 4 years when driving over uneven surfaces and have been to Mr T a couple of times to investigate who have suggested (rather than actually knowing) that I might need a new steering column or steering rack. I have also asked for advice on this site and members have been very helpful suggesting having the steering rack bushes checked and the column regreased. However I didnt get the problem sorted and so had high hopes for this recall as the letter mentions knocking on the steering column.

The mechanic did the recall work (which I think is replacing some bolts at the bottom of the shaft) and took it for a test drive, he was very concerned that there was still knocking so he investigated further and found that a bolt higher up column had become very loose. He has tightened this bolt - which is NOT part of the recall - and the problem has completely gone away, its like driving a different car so thank you Mr T mechanic!

Thanks for the tip, as I also get a knocking/rattle sound from somewhere within the front end of my car on rough roads, so will ask Mr.T to check other bolts when the car goes in under the recall notice.

Incidentally, when I booked the car in they reassured me that the recall issue wasn't safety-related.