Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Steering Rack Recall

canberra27

As promised reporting back with the fault on my car, it is the steering column that was the problem.

Looks like the recall needs extending, my car is a 2011, 2.2, D4D Tourer.

Petral avensis has a steering shaft recall(03-07 shape),

New avensis and rav4 has rear trail arm recall, something to do with torques on the balljoints.

Hi

Received my letter last week and have just had the recall work done.

This may be of interest to some of you:

I have had a knocking along the steering column for about 4 years when driving over uneven surfaces and have been to Mr T a couple of times to investigate who have suggested (rather than actually knowing) that I might need a new steering column or steering rack. I have also asked for advice on this site and members have been very helpful suggesting having the steering rack bushes checked and the column regreased. However I didnt get the problem sorted and so had high hopes for this recall as the letter mentions knocking on the steering column.

The mechanic did the recall work (which I think is replacing some bolts at the bottom of the shaft) and took it for a test drive, he was very concerned that there was still knocking so he investigated further and found that a bolt higher up column had become very loose. He has tightened this bolt - which is NOT part of the recall - and the problem has completely gone away, its like driving a different car so thank you Mr T mechanic!

really? have the same issue and that knocking makes me mad .. can u describe exact location of that bolt please???? When I was there they didnt make any test drive so they didnt investigate what cause that crazy knocking. Thanks in advance

can u find that bolt on this pic? ..this is my STEERING COLUMN & SHAFT picture:

11992298.png

Part 45221 is the recall, I havnt seen or heard of any other bolt causing a knocking but what id do is check the other 3 bolts along the column.

i know which part is recall, just tryin figure what bolt could be loose and couse the knocking as dransfield wrote above

This is confusing. I checked on the website and it confirmed that my 2007 Avensis was included in recall. Called local Toyota garage ane they checked on their info and said my car was did not require any recall work?

Fitter

I got my T25 Avensis 1.6 done today in Ireland, rang the dealer a fortnight ago and they confirmed mine was due to be done. Dropped it in this morning, got a free Loan car and collected it at lunchtime, new Steering shaft and wheel alignment done, FOC.

The loan car was a 05 Corolla with 535k km on it !! :thumbsup:

realy? here in w'ford they didnt offer me any loan car so I was waiting there for about two hours to get it done :(

realy? here in w'ford they didnt offer me any loan car so I was waiting there for about two hours to get it done :(

I did not buy my car there but have a relationship with them, from buying parts and also the Sales Guy's kids go to my Wife's creche, so maybe that helped ! :)

Hi my car is a 2006 and I have been lettered by Toyota, however, when I have contacted my dealer, they said the will be in touch. Still waiting! Is the car safe to drive ?

Any comments ?

My dealer told me that the problem is 'not safety related'. Therefore my car's booked in for 3 weeks time, for my covenience, so that it can be MOT'd at the same time.

• 3 months later...

i know which part is recall, just tryin figure what bolt could be loose and couse the knocking as dransfield wrote above

Really sorry its been a while since I logged in to the site.

The mechanic that sorted my steering column knocking just said that he had tightened a loose bolt higher up the column that wasnt related to the bolts he'd changed as part of the recall and didnt elaborate further. Everything is still excellent and knock free.