Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Car Stereo Changeover

funnybones

Hello,

I own a 2001 (X Reg) Toyota Avensis, with the original TOYOTA W53804 RDS 8611005011 stereo as shown here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-ORIGINAL-CD-PLAYER-AND-RADIO-TOYOTA-W53804-RDS-8611005011-/190769943725

I am wanting to replace the unit with a standard MP3 compatible headset.

I don't though want to loose the trip computer, or the steering wheel controls.

Any experience of this?

In a word - don't. You can't get the fascia surround for aftermarket units. I tried everywhere. I ended up installing a Motrola TK-30 hands-free kit alongside the original stereo. You can connect an ipod or iPhone directly and it gives you complete control with track display etc. You get to keep your original functionality for CD and radio (plus Sat Nav if yours has that) and the trip/mpg display. The TK-30 comes with it's own amp and it's a bluetooth hands-free phone unti as well. You can also feed an aux device into it if you want. See my other post about it. I think it's a great bit of kit and it's a doddle to fit to an Avensis like yours. Parrot do a similar device that costs more.

Cons are the steering wheel controls won't operate the iPod/phone but so what?

• Like 1

That's not great so far :-(

As for the sat nav, it's rubbish and far out of date so I use my phone.

I was looking at a standard height stereo unit, and if I do fit it what functionality would I loose?

You can get lots of head units that will be able to use the steering wheel controls with the appropriate cable, but as I mentioned, nobody does the fascia plate to suit this model - unless anyone knows different? You'll lose the mpg, temp etc. display once you dump the OEM unit. I had the same thing with my car and the Motorola solution was the best of a very limited choice

Ok, to take this one step further as I don't mind loosing the steering wheel controls, is there no way that anyone know to keep the trip computer (mpg etc) working? Can't the lower part fo the unit which is the CD player just be removed? :-(

there is option avoid loosing everything, and would not need remove your old radio, so i beleave you wont loose anythig, so there is number options, i am myself at the moment looking on same issue, just different car, i was asking in other forum, i got advice get ....

one of cheapest option -

`http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130711592058?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D130711592058%26_rdc%3D1

around 40 GBP

Particularly this product installation was captured by Russians and put in youtube(i think thats avensis) :

Parti 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2pRzUoHIE

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsmSwpNrF-I

and dearer option -

http://www.dension.c...O1&sku3=GW33TO1

about 75 GBP

Might there is other options , but these two what i know.

Ok, to take this one step further as I don't mind loosing the steering wheel controls, is there no way that anyone know to keep the trip computer (mpg etc) working? Can't the lower part fo the unit which is the CD player just be removed? :-(

HI all

This topic brings back good memories of when i had my 2001 Avensis SR...and i remember like it was yesterday how i so much wanted to replace the stock radio for an aftermarket one and i hunted high and low and couldn't find a fascia anywhere and always wonderd on who ever made one might make some $$$ from it...Annnnnnnnnyway in the end i did install my single din stereo...with the trip computer section still at the top..and i made my own fascia to fill the gaps around my single din...and absolutely nobody could tell any better...even a professional stereo installer asked how i managed to get it so perfect as he's turned jobs due to customers being unhappy with the ugly gap that remains...

I'll see if i can find some old pics for you guys...

Cheerio :flowers:

p/s..Oh to answer your question sorry...you can't replace the radio with a single din but still have your trip computer functioning at the same time...which to me was no bother as it was useless and inaccurate anyway!

• 6 months later...

Particularly this product installation was captured by Russians and put in youtube(i think thats avensis) :

With the leather steering wheel, fake wood around the stereo and the post facelift shape on the buttons at the top center of the dashboard it looks identical to my 2001 LHD Avensis Sol. Thank you for the information on the Yatour and Denison interface boxes, I will be looking into getting something like this after I have sorted out what kind of handsfree system I need for my phone.

• 2 months later...

After a tour round Europe recently where I got fed up with toting a large stash of CDs around and constantly swapping them I thought I try one of those Yatour gizmos. If you're struggling to find a way to play MP3's or connect an aux device then I'd thoroughly recommend it.

I've got an '03 T-Spirit and the Yatour was simple to fit. (I recommend you download Toyota's instructions on how to remove the radio so you can get to the back.) Although I've got the Toyota fit Satnav (TNS200) and a Nokia hands-free I found I didn't need the Y splitter cable as the 12-pin socket was still free on the radio - so save yourself a tenner and check your requirement first.

I've now got 8Gb of MP3 files in 20 folders on an SD card plugged into the Yatour in the glovebox - and everything works from the steering wheel controls.

Job done! :clap:

• Like 1

After a tour round Europe recently where I got fed up with toting a large stash of CDs around and constantly swapping them I thought I try one of those Yatour gizmos. If you're struggling to find a way to play MP3's or connect an aux device then I'd thoroughly recommend it.

I've got an '03 T-Spirit and the Yatour was simple to fit. (I recommend you download Toyota's instructions on how to remove the radio so you can get to the back.) Although I've got the Toyota fit Satnav (TNS200) and a Nokia hands-free I found I didn't need the Y splitter cable as the 12-pin socket was still free on the radio - so save yourself a tenner and check your requirement first.

I've now got 8Gb of MP3 files in 20 folders on an SD card plugged into the Yatour in the glovebox - and everything works from the steering wheel controls.

Job done! :clap:

Two main companies also make USB/SD/AUX adapters that plug into the rear of the headunit of most Toyotas. They are Connects2 and Xcarlink. I also agree and say Yatour and a few another companies do similar products at very cheap prices.

They are all plug and play, and you loose nothing on you existing set up.

Agreed Konrad, however I based my decision on the fact that the Yatour gives you the option of choosing an Aux connection (MP3 player etc), SD card or USB stick and was nice and cheap.

As far as I can tell the Connects2 (CTVTYX002), while slightly cheaper, only provides an aux socket. (Although another version does allow for Aux and Ipod connections.)

The Xcarlink version seems to be about twice the price for identical functionality as the Yatour.

One caveat that was mentioned in the installation instructions is that the number of "virtual CD" folders may be restricted depending on your systems own CD player restrictions (eg, only 6 or 10 disks). Thankfully that can be ignored on the (W53901) factory radio as I have 20 folders on my SD card (CD01 - CD20) and they all play perfectly. Even the restriction of 99 files per folder can be ignored (although they do number strangely from #100 onwards).

Cheers,

Ken

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

Connects2 also do USb/SD/and AUX adapter. It looks exactly like the Xcarlink version and is close in price.

I also agree with you that they cost more than the Yatour.

Ken you have answered another issue that can happen. You get more than the restricted folders and memory card size with the Yatour compared to the other brands. The other brands can have a lot of songs and albums per folder, but the 4gb restriction limits the total amount. I have a few 4gb memory sticks to get around that problem.

The main thing which we both like is that we are using the original stereo (My car came with a Sony double din with cd changer socket). Also like you I had hundreds of cd's. Every so often when I wanted to change the cd's in the boot mounted changer, it was a chore. Now I have the usb which keep the cd changer so I have more sources. I hardly ever use the head unit cd changer.

When my brother got his Grand Scenic, I bought and installed the Xcarlink version with the blue tooth module.

The display works showing the song being played, and like Toyota's, the steering controls work everything.

I am sharing this so that others who want the usb mp3, know what to do. Most Toyota head units have the same interface and the same protocols, so the upgrade is available. Better than trying to change the head unit.

Konrad

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update.

My apologies, I made a mistake with the number of folders the Yatour can handle. It can only see the first 15 folders of mp3's, not 20. However, each of those folders can contain over 100 mp3's quite happily (the track display starts again at 01 for #100+) and my 8Gb SDcard is almost full.

Steering wheel controls etc all work fine too.

Cheers,
Ken

• Like 1