Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jap Import, Suspect Head Gasket Problems, Go Local Or Go To Main Deale

birdie-irl

Hi,

New member, first post, hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice - I have a jap import 2004 Avensis Estate. I have it about 8 months. In the last month or two I've had to top up the coolant on the car twice, and generally the car sounds a bit off and feels a bit sluggish.

It sounds like the same symptoms discussed in this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122576

Hopefully it's just a leak and not the head gasket. My problem is that because it's a third hand jap import I don't have any service history, and it has 78k miles on the clock.

With this in mind, do you guys think there is any point bringing the car to a main dealer, or should I just try and find a local garage? If it does turn out to be the head gasket would Toyota be likely to accept the car for out of warranty repair with no service history?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hello mate,

I would just get a local garage to check it out, no warranty on your car with Toyota i'm afraid. The link you put on here was for a 2ltr diesel engine and your 2 ltr petrol model doesn't normally suffer from gasket problems, though it's not impossible.

Regards

Pete.

Not really often that toyota has headgasket issue, a specially Jap import, so best is do full inspection in reputable garage, wouldnt advice go to dealers, as they will take triple much money, than regular garage, ... try ask same question local motors forum (and not only) , we have nice forum locally in Ireland - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=47

• 1 month later...

Hi, been meaning to come back and say thanks for the replies and to let you know the results. Luckily it wasn't the head gasket as you both predicted, but there was a leak in the radiator. Replaced the rad which cost €350ish, and no more problems with losing coolant since.

That's good news really and a new radiator will only be good for the engine after being on the car for 9 years, they do get blocked as well as leak.

Pete.

Yeah one of the mechanics I talked to said he could do a refurb on the rad for about half the price, but it'd only last a couple of years. Thought it'd be better to spend a bit more now since I plan on driving this car into the ground.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links