Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1995 Rav 4 Fault Codes

Jay163

I have a 1995 (imported) RAV4 which started, ran like a dog, pinking and knocking badly, and after switching off has failed to start again. Shorting diagnostic pins TE1 and E1 to enable the diagnostic code to be read out using the "engine check" light, results in the light flashing constantly. Does this mean that the ECU has failed? There is fuel to the cylinders and a strong spark.

No it means there are no codes. It flashes so you know it is talking to you.

Back to basics. Check the timing with a timing light. If the fuel is getting through it will splutter. Make sure the belt didn't break etc.

Thanks very much for the fast response. At least now I know the ECU is working I can start to track down any faulty inputs. Checked the belt and it was OK. Changed about a month ago. Engine doesn't splutter, doesn't fire at all.

You say you checked the belt, have you checked the valve timing sounds like the belt has slipped a few teeth,you say the belt has just been done this may be a clue, carefully setting of the tensioner is needed, seen this happen twice before

You only need a spark, some fuel and some compression and it should at least splutter. It take it you have laid a plug connected to a lead on top of the engine? You can see the plug spark then. Does this vehicle have a distributor or a crank sensor? Have you checked things like a reasonable firing order etc?

Thanks for all the help chaps, much appreciated. Been away for a few days but aim to reset the belt over the weekend. Everything else appears functional so I think the possibility of it having jumped a tooth is the most likely answer. I'll let you all know the results.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links