Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg

Paul Moore

Thanks for all the replies, all these answers and now i'm not sure I should get a Rav, economy is a big part of everyday life these days, so to drop from my current 40+ to 30+ is a big drop. I'll keep asking and searching online for more positive things to make me swop my Audi a3 diesel.

Although according to Parkers site the audi should do 51 mpg and the rav 48 ! for diesel models of course.

I think I'll call some dealers tomorrow and see what different figures I get given !

Will keep you all updated and thanks for your help

You cannot take the EU mpg figures literally (and that's what Parkers quote) since they are produced under artificial lab conditions that you will never achieve in the real world (unless you coast alot!). Their only purpose is to allow comparisons from one vehicle to another and should never be used in isolation as a guarantee of what the car will do in your situation.

Honest John's website is compiling a dB of real world mpg's which might be worth a look.

For what it's worth, our 02-reg vvt-i auto has never averaged better than 25 mpg but we've had it now 10.5 years and will only let it go when it lies down and dies. The mpg isn't such a big deal when considered alongside the other running costs, which have been very low - no repairs or failures apart from one serpentine belt snapping and the occassional EMS sensor (covered under extended warranty). It's been the best car I've ever owned!

Thanks for all the replies, all these answers and now i'm not sure I should get a Rav, economy is a big part of everyday life these days, so to drop from my current 40+ to 30+ is a big drop. I'll keep asking and searching online for more positive things to make me swop my Audi a3 diesel.

Although according to Parkers site the audi should do 51 mpg and the rav 48 ! for diesel models of course.

I think I'll call some dealers tomorrow and see what different figures I get given !

Will keep you all updated and thanks for your help

You cannot take the EU mpg figures literally (and that's what Parkers quote) since they are produced under artificial lab conditions that you will never achieve in the real world (unless you coast alot!). Their only purpose is to allow comparisons from one vehicle to another and should never be used in isolation as a guarantee of what the car will do in your situation.

Honest John's website is compiling a dB of real world mpg's which might be worth a look.

For what it's worth, our 02-reg vvt-i auto has never averaged better than 25 mpg but we've had it now 10.5 years and will only let it go when it lies down and dies. The mpg isn't such a big deal when considered alongside the other running costs, which have been very low - no repairs or failures apart from one serpentine belt snapping and the occassional EMS sensor (covered under extended warranty). It's been the best car I've ever owned!

Must concur with Jamesy there....having spent 32gbp would personally only tell me that I had replenished approx six gallons of fuel. Most importantfully, conversely you say you are happy the journey you did cost you that amount....that's what matters (but dinnae go by yon OBC....some are close, some are born fibbers....)

Big Kev

Joining the really sad society ... :)

2009 SR180 (6 speed manual), 47,988 miles from new, has used total of 5,829 litres, giving 37.4 mpg.

The majority of my mileage is on A roads and motorways and the majority of my journey's are long (>50 miles) rather than short (<5 miles). In the main I drive 'sensibly' and at the speed limit, but equally I 'enjoy' the car and accelerate as though I mean it. :)

I'm pretty happy with the performance / consumption balance - but wouldn't complain if both were improved ... ;)

My T180 - Town 36 mpg - long runs 40mpg max in summer - expect a definite drop in winter use by 2/4 mpg - expect that the 5th injector comes into play more in cold weather - Anchorman can explain this more fully

Of course must expect less mPG if using AirCon a lot !

Regards to all

Guy

thanks for all the replies and keep the commenst coming, I'm still hooked on a rav and will now wait for the bad weather to go before looking for the right one. and to answer the topic above I always have my aircon on in the car, keeps the windows from steaming up, the audi doesnt have a seperate fan. so it's aircon or nothing.

T180 2006 - Literally no more than 26 mpg !! I'm getting an Audi A8 as better mpg ;)

thanks for all the replies and keep the commenst coming, I'm still hooked on a rav and will now wait for the bad weather to go before looking for the right one. and to answer the topic above I always have my aircon on in the car, keeps the windows from steaming up, the audi doesnt have a seperate fan. so it's aircon or nothing.

You have to regularly use the Aircon (summer and winter) to keep it working!

Dave

• 2 months later...

My 2.2 150Bhp Manual delivers around 40Mpg overall. I do push it a bit though.

The on board computer claims 44Mpg. I have made sure that the tyres set are all correct and I have the correct tyres on too.

The on board computer claims 44Mpg. I have made sure that the tyres set are all correct and I have the correct tyres on too.

Mine was averaging 42mpg in summer and now about 37mpg now the weather is crap. It does however only have 3500 miles on the engine so may not be freed up totally. I'm looking forward to this summer to see what it brings.

I drive a 10 mile journey each way for work on mainly town and b-roads.

As a side note. The trip computer on mine seems very close to the true value. It has me tracking at about 39mpg average from new which ties in with all my brim to brim calcs.

It seems its an average of around 40mpg+ or - a few miles depending on how hard we push the throttle !

I'm hoping to take delivery of a Rav next week, 59 plate with 7000 miles, still havent seen it yet as its a part ex at the local Toyota garage and the other guy is awaiting delivery of his brand new Rav, thanks for the replies, I will keep you all updated !

It's not a 150 if it's a 2008.

It seems its an average of around 40mpg+ or - a few miles depending on how hard we push the throttle !

I'm hoping to take delivery of a Rav next week, 59 plate with 7000 miles, still havent seen it yet as its a part ex at the local Toyota garage and the other guy is awaiting delivery of his brand new Rav, thanks for the replies, I will keep you all updated !

That might be a 150 in which case you are in for a treat.

Yes its a 150BHP 59 plate. !

T180 2006 - Literally no more than 26 mpg !! I'm getting an Audi A8 as better mpg wink.png

Stella, did you own two Ravs? Your profile shows a 2007.

So did you eventually P/x one for an Audi..

Paul

The wifes had two Rav 2.2d 150bhp and easily gets 50mpg M'way driving.

Unlike my T180 which at best sees 36-38mpg.

Paul min,

If you can get THAT mpg, in this weather / temperature, you better watch out for Wee Mother Superior tailgating you and asking you to press the pedal to right of the brake.......

I've said this so many times..........

My T180 does 42 to 43 on the Motorway when on cruise.. It still manages 36/37 when around town.. OK it has a Lindop tuning kit but for a vehicle of its size weight and capability I really cant complain..

But............... My Jag XF leaves the Rav for dead when it comes to fuel usage.. Its a far bigger engine with near twice the power And its an automatic and just amazes me with its consumption figures...

But I aint complaining ! I have just bought the Wife a wee........... Sorry................. Ford Fiesta Titanium automatic with a 1.4 petrol engine as she simply cant manage a manual car any more and the Fiesta does way less MPG than the Rav !!

To anyone owning a T180 at least I would recommend the Lindop kit above any other modification !!

Obviously driving style plays a huge... No massive part ... But I can get very decent figures from My aged T180 if I drive sensibly !

Has anyone noticed though how slow much traffic is moving nowadays ?? People obviously struggling to run a car no doubt ..

Paul min,

If you can get THAT mpg, in this weather / temperature, you better watch out for Wee Mother Superior tailgating you and asking you to press the pedal to right of the brake.......

Haha Kev.

Your not far wrong..but that 38mpg is a M'way driving.

Even the paper boys round here give me a wave as they pass.

Doing mostly town driving atm and showing 26 mpg..I got more than that from my 3.2lt V6, so I was expecting better from the T.

All this talk of DPFs is a worry.

But my oil consumption is ok, so I might get lucky.

Roll on summer to hopefully see an improvement.

Charlie your mpg figures must be the best on the oc for a T180..what was it before having the tune up kit?

From memory....

Biggest gains were round town as you would expect... Before the kit around 32 ish...

Motorway was 38 to 39 before kit but of course a car sat at 75 ish MPH on cruise surely is not that dissimilar with or without kit fitted ?

One huge gain is that you just dont need to change down so often to overtake and the car has a much broader flatter power curve so this is where the gains come from..

My mileage has tumbled now so the 25 to 35K miles per year ( Spread over 2 cars) will be far far less..

Big Kev was king enough to let me drive his SR180 fitted with the Lindop kit before I bought one.. One drive was enough and I had one bought within a few weeks.. Like I said the best modification by far !

Kev

What are you getting with the auto just now?

Thanks for that Charlie.

Ya did ask, Don........30 (ferty) mpg......roll on the even slightly warmer weather. OBC showing 34 to 35, so now renamed DLB....Dirty Lying Biscuit.......must concur with Charlie on traffic speed round here though. People genuinely are fuel conscious now.

Hopefully when we get to summer and the temp rises all the way to plus 5 it might get a bit better. Yesterday I sat in a blizzard whipped up by the wind and watched the back of a late model BMW 5 series slide gracefully down the side of a brand new Ford Focus ST. The engine on mine was idling at about 1300rpm as ice formed on the passenger side windows. It was quite good watching a great load of people push this thing as it floated on wheels about a foot wide. They were trying to get him out of the side of the road and it appeared he didn't know he had his left lock on and systematically demolished the very expensive looking skirts on the left side. At least he will get both sides re sprayed and frankly, anyone who leaves Buxton in a Ford Focus ST during those conditions deserves everything they get - especially if they don't know where they are steering.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links