Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Concerns Over Type Of Transmission Oil.

Yaristotle

Hi there

I am planning to change the gearbox oil in my 2002 1.0GLS. The vehicle has only covered around 36,000 but now it is approaching its 11th year thought it would be well worthwhile. My dad has a 2004 1.3 T-Spirit model with only 27,000 but a 5 litre container would provide for both motors. Not particularly looking for a bargain purchase as, I guess, this job is only undertaken every few years.

So I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this fully synthetic transmission oil or recommend any others: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EP-75w90-Transmission-Fluid-Fully-Synthetic-5-Litre-5L-API-GL-4-GL-5-/110957187105?lgeo=1&clk_rvr_id=436555314622&vectorid=229508

As usual, any comments appreciated.

Looks OK to me. Correct spec.

I changed mine at 40k miles with similar and son's at 90k miles.. several years ago.

No problems so far.

Ensure you have the correct socket./spanner size...

Hi there

I am planning to change the gearbox oil in my 2002 1.0GLS. The vehicle has only covered around 36,000 but now it is approaching its 11th year thought it would be well worthwhile. My dad has a 2004 1.3 T-Spirit model with only 27,000 but a 5 litre container would provide for both motors. Not particularly looking for a bargain purchase as, I guess, this job is only undertaken every few years.

So I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this fully synthetic transmission oil or recommend any others: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EP-75w90-Transmission-Fluid-Fully-Synthetic-5-Litre-5L-API-GL-4-GL-5-/110957187105?lgeo=1&clk_rvr_id=436555314622&vectorid=229508

As usual, any comments appreciated.

First you need to consult the handbook as to the type and grade of oil. GL4 and GL5 gear oils are quite different, and damage can be done to the gearbox by using the wrong type, which can attack the bronze bushes in some boxes. It is not a case of GL5 being superior to GL4 as some people think. I would go to the Comma Oil website and enter your details for their recommendations. I have used their oils for many years and find them excellent.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Comma recommend a GL4 oil for the Yaris.. hence my prior post.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Madasafish: The size is 15/16.

Geoff: My handbook does not seem to provide any details in reference to gearbox oil. Mr Haynes specifies GL-4/GL-5 as does the downloadable manual on this site. The Comma website, upon entering the registration, produces SW75W-90 GL-4, so this would seem the one to obtain. The same product is specified for the 1.3 also. It is only available in 1 litre containers whereas some of Comma’s lubricants can be obtained in 5 litre amounts, but that’s no real issue.

Cheers, chaps.

I had terrible trouble with the gear change on my 1.0gs after changing the oil for a GL5 one. After trying many different oils I finally found that Redline MTL Got the gear change back to normal. The MTL is a 70w-80 GL4 fluid.

Mark.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Madasafish: The size is 15/16.

Geoff: My handbook does not seem to provide any details in reference to gearbox oil. Mr Haynes specifies GL-4/GL-5 as does the downloadable manual on this site. The Comma website, upon entering the registration, produces SW75W-90 GL-4, so this would seem the one to obtain. The same product is specified for the 1.3 also. It is only available in 1 litre containers whereas some of Comma’s lubricants can be obtained in 5 litre amounts, but that’s no real issue.

Cheers, chaps.

I would go by what Comma state, a very reliable scource, In my opinion. Haynes, I have to say I have encountered inaccurate information in their manuals, they do not document updates and supersessions.

Regards Geoff Peace.