Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Stall

Tedlooney

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been covered before. I bought a 4 year old IQ2 automatic. Everything was fine for the first day but after that I noticed that when at lights or a junction the idle speed dips for a second then goes back to normal. This happens about every 10 seconds or so. Sometimes it dips and the engine cuts out. Any ideas?

hi

Might be worth taking it to a dealer as i would imagine the IQ2 has a 5 year warranty? or is it 3?

any warning lights at all?

Only a 3 year warranty on the earlier cars, I think the new ones now have 5 years but clearly something wrong with yours.

There is a well known issue on the 1.0 litre models of the EGR valve playing up, could be related to that if yours hasn't been updated?

Craig.

The new ones are 5 years but ours only had the 3 year warranty. There are no warnings, it just stalls when it's cold and judders for a second when warmed up. We took out a one year extra warranty with the garage where we bought it but they're dragging their feet over getting it looked at so I might take it into a Toyota dealer and bill the garage.

Thanks craggle. I had to google EGR valve. It looks like a possibility. I'll have a read through the threads and check the paperwork when I get home.

Sorry, Exhaust gas re-circulation valve. It lets an amount of exhaust gasses back into the intake of the engine but if it sticks or stops working it could let too much back in the engine and they won't run very well like that.

There is threads on here about the issue and how to spot the old one and the new one. Try a search on the little box top right for "EGR valve"

Here's one..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136556&hl=%2Begr+%2Bvalve

I'm sure there was a thread too with pictures but can't find it right now.

Craig.

Here we go, look through this thread....

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128369&st=0

Not saying that's 100% your problem though, could be a multitude of things or one simple sensor playing up. If you do have the old EGR valve it would be good to get that updated but maybe a Toyota garage will be able to assist you more.

Let us know what happens.

Craig.

Just to add a bit more to this. There is a problem where the ECU doesnt map properly when the Battery has been discharged. When i was doing a lot of electronic work on my car i noticed that often when re connecting the Battery, i would have the same symptoms as you. Sometimes the rev's would drop to about 350 for 10 sec's or more causing the passenger seat to vibrate a fair bit , usually when pulling up to stop at lights etc. i have had it it cut out too. The cure was to disconnect the Battery for over 35mins then re-connect firmly not arcing and sparking.put the terminal on quick and hold it whilst doing up the nut. Turn the ignition on fully but don't start it yet. Wait for 5 mins then start and try. My guess if you don't have EGR issue this will cure it. One other thing is if you have satnav ( TNS 510) take out the SD card first as disconnecting and re- connecting the battery can cause corruption on the SD card. My guess is at some point the battery had gone very flat on the forecourt and it has been either charged or changed. try this first. Its easy and may well have good results

David

• Like 1

Thanks for your help guys. I just contacted the chap from the garage and it's going back in tomorrow. I did check the EGR and it looks like an old style one so I'll insist it gets changed or I'll reject the car and get a refund. I would have tried the Battery but as it's going back I'll let the garage do it. I hope it gets fixed as I really like the car which is actually my wife's. I drive a Volvo but have used the IQ for the last couple of days and apart from the stalling it's been great fun to drive.

Insist on the valve change as its a £900 cost further down the line. There is a bulletin number on a recent post to quote. Toyota are fully aware of it and its arguable why they didnt do a re-call as people have been known to cut out half way out on a roundabout

David

I found this link on the forum giving the Technical Service Bulletin Number. Hope you get it sorted. A number of us on here have had problems with this, me included. I got mine done when it was still in warranty and had no problems at all with Toyota doing it. Once they discover it's already got the Tech Bulletin on it, they're pretty good. My experience anyway. Best of luck dude.

It's entry number 73 on that thread.

http://www.toyotaown...ic=128369&st=70

Although Toyota may be aware of the problem with the EGR valve (as there is a bulletin issued about it) when I wrote to Mr T they said in their written reply that they were NOT aware of this issue - quite a contradiction! (see my post "Is second hand IQ still in warranty" and look at the reply posted on 18th October 2012) in the end I did not have to fight to get it done, as soon as I mentioned it when I took the car in, they said that their was a bulletin on that very problem and did the work.

Much better now.

Hope all your issues are resolved soon - Yes it is a great little car to drive, I it makes me smile every time I use it!

regards,

jack

I took it back to the dealer tonight. He said the stalling issue would be resolved but I made it clear that the valve should be replaced even if it wasn't the cause of the current problem or the car would be rejected. Fair play, the dealer agreed to that so hopefully it will be sorted out soon. I'l let you know. Thanks to all on this forum for the help and advice.

I found this link on the forum giving the Technical Service Bulletin Number. Hope you get it sorted. A number of us on here have had problems with this, me included. I got mine done when it was still in warranty and had no problems at all with Toyota doing it. Once they discover it's already got the Tech Bulletin on it, they're pretty good. My experience anyway. Best of luck dude.

Hi bob

I did reply to in this post and was hoping you could help out if needed.

Car going in on Wed so they can check it out for the day.

http://www.toyotaown...ic=136556&st=90

Hi bob

I did reply to in this post and was hoping you could help out if needed.

Car going in on Wed so they can check it out for the day.

http://www.toyotaown...ic=136556&st=90

No problem, use my name if you have to. What is it? Oh yeah, Robert Higgins. The car reg is GF59LXX, they can check that was done last year, both the Trip Computer and EGR Valve were done. I agree with David (Tarquin) on this too, it should have been a number of seperate recalls to fix these issues, along with the brakes, steering and gearbox issues some people have had. Best of luck Tonka.

Thanks for that Bob.

Hope i don't have to get heavy with them and name names. :chair:

Will keep all updated on progress.

:euro: :euro:

Well, good call by those on here, it turned out that the problem is the EGR valve. Unfortunately the dealer has now gone back on his promise, he assured me that he woud have the valve replaced but now he is refusing to replace it. He has had the valve cleaned and put back on the car saying that is sufficient. I told him I didn't want the car and asked for a refund seeing as the fault occurred the day after we picked it up but he said there's no chance of a refund as he has repaired the car to his satisfaction. I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

The reason he doesn't want to change out the valve assembly in accordance with the Toyota bulletin is because as i mentioned before on here it is around £950 to replace. If the car was on finance then i would contact the finance company. As far as the dealer is concerned, it is not a clogged valve issue it is a faulty design and a safety issue. Hence the bulletin. It nearly got me wiped out 3 times. The are a few "legal" informed people on here that i'm sure will step in and help you

David

Thanks David, I suspect that it will clog up again soon. We have a free legal advice line at work so I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest on this. We received the car back from the dealer with the cleaned valve and it lasted three days before the original symptoms returned. We took it to Toyota today for an inspection, they said the EGR and Cat needed to be replaced at a cost of £1400. We contacted the dealer to advise him as the car is still under his warranty but he said his mechanics would decide what's wrong with it rather than Toyota. These are the same mechanics who don't have a diaganostic machine that is compatible with the car and who failed to carry out a satisfactory repair last time despite it being with them for a week.

Mate, this sounds worrying. My take on this would be to have the warranty insurer pay for a new EGR and cat, unless its specifically excluded , OR trade in the car against a Toyota warranted IQ, used or new. You mention "his warranty" but normally it will be an insurance product that the dealer sells you, wont it?

Why is it so expensive for an EGR valve? I have the 5 yr warranty. Makes me think you would be brave to be unwarranted with repair quotes like this.

Hope you get it sorted out

Thanks Hicardo.When we took it to Toyota today we said we were thinking of trading it for a new IQ but once the report had been done they weren't really interested in making an offer. As far as I can tell there's no exclusion in the warranty, however, right from the start of our problems the dealer has been confrontational and unhelpful. I would have hoped to have sorted this out amicably with the dealer but sadly that hasn't been the case. I'm surprised as the dealer has a fairly good reputation, maybe it's just this one guy I've been dealing with. Anyway, it looks like it's going to have to have solicitors involved at this stage.

At Toyota I questioned why a car with only 21,000 miles would need such expensive work. I'm a Volvo driver and haven't come across anything like this. I usually keep my cars until about 100,000 miles and the most expensive repair I've had was a variator pulley that cost me 200 quid.The guy at Toyota couldn't really justify it. They did say that Toyota would make a good will gesture and pay towards the repair which was appreciated but we would still be around £900 out of pocket and personally I think the dealer should pick up this cost.

In all cases on here Toyota have honoured the bulletin they issued for the EGR. Mine has been changed. in fact, i was one of the first to source the bulletin number as I have a good rapport with them.I have seen the bulletin as they showed it to me and it describes the symptoms clearly. All of which puts you in a possible dangerous position when driving the car. I would suggest you do get Solicitors involved, not only in getting the dealer to honour the warranty but to make them aware the car was not fit for purpose when it was sold to you, and having been diagnosed by the Manufacturer of the Valve that it is in deed faulty, rendering the car potentially dangerous to drive, (hence their bulletin). Your Solicitor should be requesting a written assurance from the dealer, that the defective Valve does not render the car dangerous to drive and put their name to it, should you get involved in a accident which later transpires to be due to the faulty Valve.

David

• Like 1

Thanks David, I'm contacting a solicitor tomorrow. The vehicle is definately dangerous as it is, however, the dealer disagrees and wouldn't even have it collected saying we should drive it to his showroom so his mechanics could look at it. He has also rejected the report from Toyota and will not agree to carry out the repairs they recommended, He said it could be down to fair wear and tear but even if it is wear and tear I would have expected the car to function properly for more than 3 days after we bought it. It was at this point I realised I should get a solicitor on the case.

As suggested by one person here, if all else fails pay a a youth to stand outside the dealers with a board stating not to buy a car from them as yours was faulty when purchased and the dealer refuses to put it right. In fact a suggestion on here was to part exchange it in. My guess thats exactly what someone did before you bought it. either suffering the fault themselves or were aware of the cost of repair. It is likely that you dealer took it in unknowingly but is stuck with the cost. What does it say on the "log book" about the previous owner? worth trying to contact them. they may be near you and you could make a visit .

David