Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing A Toyota Aygo Alternator

welshviking

Hi, My Battery warning light stayed on today for the 1st time ever and when i checked the Battery with a multi meter i found the alternator was not charging the Battery 12.45v with engine not running and down to 11.1v with the engine running . I rang Toyota and after i got back up from the floor (£367.97 + vat) i decided to look for a 2nd hand one and fit myself. Anyway i managed to source a 2nd hand alternator the same make and model number as the one that is on my car from a 2007 reg aygo for £49 delivered. I hopefully will be fitting it myself next week (if it is delivered) when i am off work along with a new alternator belt. What i need to know is how easy/difficult is this job as looking at it it looks straight forward enough albeit a little bit cramped for room. Any help or suggestions that will make the job easier and help me save all the skin of my knuckles....Thanks Colin

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/genmaster124/waterpump/IMG_1576.jp
g

This is a photo from my water pump thread, if like me you have air/con then the alternator is not going to come out downwards, so maybe from the top or bumper/ radiator out from the front.
If you have no air/con, i would think most of the work could be done from under the wheelarch, one you have the wing liner off, let me know how you get on.

http://i16.photobuck...ump/IMG_1576.jp

g

This is a photo from my water pump thread, if like me you have air/con then the alternator is not going to come out downwards, so maybe from the top or bumper/ radiator out from the front.

If you have no air/con, i would think most of the work could be done from under the wheelarch, one you have the wing liner off, let know how you get on.

Thanks for the input Bob, Well the job was completed in no time at all, i started off measureing the replacement alternator and come to the conclusion no way was i going to get it out upwards so i removed the complete front bumper (7 screws / bolts ten mins work) the it was so easy as it was a case of unbolting the 2 bolts that held the old alternator in place and releasing the 2 wires and the just refitting the replacement alternator and also fitted a new drive belt. I tested the replacement alternator while the bumper was still off (14.2v while engine was running) and then rechecked the tension of the new belt then refitted the bumper. All in just under 2 hours work and no scraped knuckles....Colin

• 1 month later...

Thanx Colin! for your post as I was encouraged to do the same, meaning changing the alternator myself. Only exception that I did not change the belt at the same time. Have not been that close to a car engine in 20 years but it worked a treat. Unbelievable that you would be asked to part with close to £450 if getting it done in a Toyota garage. I got the used alternator for £55 (inclusive of £10 for next day delivery) and worked for about 2 1/2 hours taking the front bumper off and replacing the alternator. All was pretty straight forward and no real problem or challenge encountered. Anyone having an alternator problem/having to replace an alternator should keep in mind that it is really not a big task. A new alternator costs about £200, so even if one is not happy to fit a used one, there is still a saving of around £250 if you do the fitting job yourself.

Guys I have a question for you , I've not had to take my bumper off to date, how do the clips come apart from the bumper to the wings ?

They're fiddly. The technique in the AIM for the TTE-grille with foglights works, but I only used that once.

All later effort was done by just pulling from the wheel well up.

One thing to take into account: do NOT try this in cold temperatures, as you then risk fracturing the plastic!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

Quick question I have got to the alternator on my 1.0l 2006 aygo and can see p/n 27060-0Q010 is 27060-0Q011 compatible still says denso A115IA 12v 70a.

Any help will be appreciated want to try and keep costs down as already shelled out 800 on a new gearbox for this one but as its the wife's car want to keep her sweet.

Hi guys,

Quick question I have got to the alternator on my 1.0l 2006 aygo and can see p/n 27060-0Q010 is 27060-0Q011 compatible still says denso A115IA 12v 70a.

Any help will be appreciated want to try and keep costs down as already shelled out 800 on a new gearbox for this one but as its the wife's car want to keep her sweet.

Don't know any part numbers..sorry but if you were looking for a used alternator off say eBay, the aygo ,Peugeot 107 and citreon c1 should all be the same as the vehicles are mechanically the same. The only possible diffrence might be with or with out air/con as the Haynes manual claims 70 or 80 amp.

Euro car parts do a Denso alternator, it's £202.00 but if you add promo code 30NOW it give £60 off :)

why don,t you look to get it refurbishd

or email this guy over in the Netherlands, he has all parts from C1, 107 and AYGO al so altenators ( in dutch its called dynamo)

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-onderdelen/toyota-onderdelen/m728624702-toyota-aygo-dynamo-of-accu-libacars.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr