Do Not Sell My Personal Information

General Mk Ii Avensis Advice

Samwin

Hello

Just signed up to the forum! Wondering if i could pick your brains,although I'm sure my question has been covered before. Apologies for the length of this post!

I have a 2000 Avensis 2.0 (pre-VVti), which has been great. I put about 27,000 miles on it in under 2 years with no worries. However things have started to go a bit awry - age related mostly but cost accumulating - so I it is time for a change.

I'm looking at a mk II Avensis estate c.2007. There are two possibilities at Toyota dealers: A 1.8 VVTi T3-x or a 2.0 D4D Colour Collection for similar money/ similar mileage with all the Approved benefits.

My wife and I are expecting a child in April so my priorities are - safe, reliable, good and refined motorway performance (lugging associated baby kit), not too expensive to run. I expect our annual mileage to come down to about 12-15k pa and the car would be used for anything and everything - short commutes, holidays, local shopping, trips to the dump, my surf safaris...

I like the look of the T3-x (and the central armrest!) but is the 1.8 going to have enough grunt? I'm not a racer but find it reassuring that my current 2.0 petrol is an excellent motorway car and you don't feel stressed if you need to overtake or are on a steep hill. Assuming the diesel is fine in this regard (I can live without the armrest!) I'm a bit cautious about potential HG issues. Am I right to worry, or has the nature of internet forums blown the HG problem out of proportion, especially regarding the 2.0? I expect both cars would have FTSH.

So I'm just after your opinions - which do you experts reckon would be best for me!? Thanks for reading and any advice

S

Hello and welcome,

I think the 1.8vvti petrol would be your best bet, it will have just as much power as your old 2 litre. The d4d would be great and slightly cheaper to run but the head gasket thing will always be on your mind. Why not test drive them both and talk to the dealers about your worries on the d4d's potential problem with the head gasket and who knows it MAY have had a new engine fitted already LOL.

Regards and good luck .... Pete.

Hello Pete

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. I am going to drive them but thought it was worth sounding out general opinions/ experiences of these cars as well.

It's a good point about peace of mind and sounding out the dealers - I'm sure 1.8 would give a hassle-free experience and I prefer that with cars. .

That diesel is located much closer, which is a factor - there's always way better things to do than traipsing round garages! Ha!

Sam

Forgot to say please make sure you get the 2 black and 1 grey key along with the satnav dvd disc if the car has satnav. Both of these items if missing will cost circa £165.00 each to replace or worse if you ever lose the only key you have .... that bill will be well over £1,000 due to new locks and ecu being required.

Just as a matter of interest whilst on the subject of keys, I got free cover for loss of keys when insured my Avensis with Toyota insurance again, great price as well, £330.00 for a 2.2 d4d that's me and the wife on the policy with no voluntary excess, £100 compulsory excess ... well I thought it was a great deal anyway and it only went up £2 this time :clap: .

Pete.

I tend to agree that the 1.8 is probably the better choice for you - & the T-3X will have lots of toys that the Colour Collection won't.

Thanks for your replies Pete and Heidfirst - much appreciated. Mulling it all over I think, as you concur, the 1.8 will suit us just fine. Just got to find the time to go and drive them now before anyone else snaps 'em up!

Interestingly my MiL had a great experience with Toyota insurance until last renewal when they took the micky with the renewal for her Prius. So she moved...

Cheers

S

This is a tricky decision. Basing it on mileage alone would favour the 1.8 but you need to decide what you want the car to do above all else. For me it was simple: effortlessly destroy long motorway journeys, regularly, full of people and luggage without the engine having to work hard. Hence the thumping great diesel engine. Everything else was a secondary requirement - a 'nice to have' not a 'must have'.

You need to decide what the car has to do above all else, then your decision should be simpler. If the head gasket is a huge concern (they don't all fail) then, unless its been sorted, avoid the D4D otherwise you will always be worried about it. If you prefer diesels to petrol are you prepared to accept the head gasket risk in order to have a diesel? that sort of stuff.

Like I said, a tricky one but one that only you can decide. Of course if you change your mind later you can change your car as well. That might cost a bit in the short term but you will probably stick with the car in the long term, ultimately saving the cost of replacing it cos they go on and on and on.

A bit like me!

The only consideration I will add to this is if you fancy a diesel check out whether or not it has a DPF and DMF fitted. If you do a lot of short stop/start journeys then this will not be good for a car quipped with these two items. At 12 to 15000 miles a year you are on the border line of whether diesel is a more economical buy or not.

Wow - thanks for all the opinions and information - just the kind of thing I was after. My driving type/ mileage does make it a tricky decision as I do frequent (but not loads of) motorway driving plus a lot of round town shunting. I have driven plenty of different cars for work - petrols and diesels - and I can see the benefits/ drawbacks of both.

I think on balance, for my needs (stress-free, multipurpose family wagon), the petrol is preferrable so I'll give that a good old test first but I won't rule out a diesel and give that go as well.

Thanks again

S

One thing also to remember

There are an awful lot of Diesel D4D's out there more in fact than petrol and are the default choice by taxi drivers. yes you do hear the occasional story of HG failure, but in percentage terms it is very low,

BAD news is always in the spot light

Hi

I have a 1.8 petrol 2004 Avensis Tourer T4 and think its excellent, with 2 young children (5&7) it has no problem carting around everything we need. The only thing I would say is that they can get through quite a bit of oil so make it a monthly check. I have just renewed my insurance for £300.00 including business use.

thanks

Bryan

My car's a 07 1.8 T3-X, never given me a moments worry in the 4.5 years I've owned it. I've never had to add oil between services, and economy works out at 42mpg using Fuelly', with a mix of town/motorway driving.Always used dealer servicing.

Biggest gripe is lack of intermittent wipers - make sure you're happy with the rain-sensing wipers, I hate the things!

Hello again. Just thought I'd return and let you know I've gone for the petrol one. It drove fine, seemed perky enough vs. my old 2.0 and very comfortable - hopefully it'll be a great family wagon. So thanks once more for your advice.

Sam