Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Petrol Engine Light On

Uncle_P

Afternoon all.

I started my car after work this afternoon and the check engine light came on. Nothing seems to be different with the way the Rav runs though. I figured it was a foggy, damp day and that the light would go away when it warmed up.. but it didn't. I got home and tried disconnecting the Battery in the hope that it would clear the fault, but no joy there.

Hmm.. took it to my friendly local garage who plugged in his fault code reader and came up with this:

P1155 Air Fuel (A/F) ratio sensor 1, bank 2 - heater circuit malfunction.

He was honest enough to say that he wasn't sure what that meant, so he called Toyota (Johnsons Liverpool) and asked how much a replacement part was. £200 plus VAT was the answer. I told him I'd post on this forum and see what you gurus come up with.

So there's a few questions that I have. Is this an O2 sensor? Would a none Toyota part work? Where is it? and what does it do? If I need a genuine Toyota bit, can the wise one known as Kingo offer any kind of discount for club members?

If any of you folks have any ideas then I'm all ears.. a fray bentos pie will be awarded if anybody can save me money to put a dashboard light out!

My info on this reads P1155 indicates bank 1 sensor 2

Del

Hi Del,

I've typed it exactly as it was displayed on the AutoData computer screen.. whether the computer info is right or not I don't know.

Sorry crofter but I agree with uncle_p that it is Bank 2 sensor 1 (ie top left as you look into the engine bay from the front) We have all had them go (well us petrol owners), do a search on the forum as it has been covered many times. (the heater circuit goes o/c)

I'm on my second one in 12months !!

first was bank2 sensor1

now bank1 sensor 2 has gone !

For those folks who have had sensors die on them, did you notice any difference in how your Rav performed? Apart from the engine light being on, nothing's changed. It doesn't seem to be using more fuel, or sluggish.. maybe I just need to cover the little yellow light..

When the downstream o2 sensor on my old Jeep got erm.. drowned, I couldn't get the engine to idle and clouds of unburned petrol billowed from the back. Fuel economy dropped to around 3 to 5 mpg until I got it sorted. With this sensor, nothing at all has happened.

no , nothing changed for me just the light on and DTC recorded

The heater on the sensor simply gets it to its operating temperature faster than it would without it. The sensor still works when it reaches the required temp. The car will fail an MOT with the warning light on as it is now part of the test. You can buy a new Denso sensor [original equipment] from http://www.ecolambda.co.uk/ cheaper than a dealer.

You can buy a new Denso sensor [original equipment] from http://www.ecolambda.co.uk/ cheaper than a dealer.

Just to give you an idea of the price differences nearly 6 years ago Mr T replaced one of the top sensors at £145.53 + vat (+fitting), whereas that site lists it as £96 inc vat. Almost 5 years ago Mr T did one of the bottom sensors at £138.93+ vat and it is £72 inc vat on that site.

Thanks for the info, bookmarked for future reference.