Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Pump

Filby83

I have taken a look into the engine bay,

I can see looking down by the belt the old style water pump is fitted, it looks a little corroded but, but i cant really say if it looks pink.

The car does not seam to leave puddles nor does it loos as if its loosing water, the coolant being mid way between Low and max and not moved in over a week.

So could it be just road water thats caused it to corrode a little?

Hi and welcome

Do you mean corrode on the outside?

Its normal for it to corrode a little, its an alloy pump.

If the coolant is not leaking and its clean in the header tank then it should be fine. Give the car a run, let some pressure build up and then turn the engine off and run some tissue or somthing that blots... see if there is anything leaking.

Cool will do.

Also, should the Coolant in the expansion chamber be hot? the pipe from the actual Radiator into the head is hot then it looks like it comes back out via a thermostat to the bottom of the Rad, does this sound right? as the second pipe running to the bottom of the rad only starts to get a little hot at the engine end and cools off at the bottom of the rad

with leaking pumps on the AYGO you tend to just get pink stains on the edge of the pump pulley , and in a line up the back of the engine bay.

This is what the stains will look like on the pump.

IMG_1576.jpg

Cheers Peeps, yeah think mines just corroded from road salt then, Its not pink and i have no pink line :-) However as its the Older pump i should keep more of an eye on it

Trouble with a potential weeping water pump on the AYGO, there is no temperature gauge to let you know things are getting warm or hot, just a flashing lamp on the dash to tell you it HAS over heated, it would be one worry too many for me to drive around knowing my car had the old style water pump on it, have a spend up and get the new improved type fitted...or at least get it done before the summer :).

A colleague has just had hers replaced on an 07 reg Pug 107. No leaking, just failed bearings which became very noisy.

My car was under the used car warranty and I saw the red coloured markings along the edges of water pump and went straight to the Toyota garage and complained that it was leaking. They ordered the parts even without seeing the car and changed the water pump the following week. No hassle, and all cost free. It is a known defect.