Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help, Leccy Problem On Aw11

hachi-roku

Hi there,

When I went to look at my car, everything seemed fine, it had just had a brand new Battery fitted in, however, when you rested your foot on the accelerator the alternator light came on and so did a light which had a picture of an engine with a fan infront. When you pushed the accelerator slightly more they turned off again. The car had no problem starting so I promptly bought it. When it was driving back I noticed the drivers side headlight was dim, but thought it could just be a bulb.

Went to start the car up the next day and the car had no power at all, checked the Battery and it was giving 4 vaults or so, put another Battery in, the car started and the battery was giving 12v when the car was running it was giving 14v, thinking that prooved it was charging. I figured it was a bad battery so I got it swapped and put the new one in. That night I noticed the dirvers side headlamp was flickering slightly, but I hoped it would go away (bad thing to do), last night the drivers side headlamp was so dim it looked like it wasn't on at all, and I checked it after I parked up, it was totally off. Went to start my car this morning and the car has no power, something is draining the battery, but I have NO idea where to even begin looking. Any ideas guys? :crybaby:

don't know much about the car yet, but i have the haynes manual for the car. ALtho its for thr american edtion a lot is the same as the uk. I can scan the leccy diagrams and email them to you if you want.

Sounds like it could possibly be an earthing problem, I would start be making sure all the earthing straps are on nice and tight and that there is no corrosion around the contact area. Also make sure the Battery leads are tightened up properly.

Just spent three hours of solid fun with my car and a multi meter.

We have established that the alternator while the car is off is taking about 0.5 amps, I'm no expert, but I always thought alternators were supposed to give power ;) .

So until I sort a new alternator out, I am going to be disconnecting the negative when I stop the car....Only way to stop it really.

Cheers though, I hope this is the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links