Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It Generally Good Practice To Buy A Guarantee?

Sadge

Hi, my Aygo will be 3 in a week's time, and I'm wondering whether it is generally worth it to take out a further period of cover now that the new car warranty will be expiring then.

I've already had to have a new ECU under the warranty. I think if I hadn't experienced that (and I've no idea what that would have cost) I would have just taken a chance, but I'm feeling a bit nervous that if that went wrong what else is likely to?

I haven't asked Toyota yet what the cost of a further warranty is.

It's the age-old question "what would you do"?

Considering the fact that you have the MMT gearbox and in light of the following topic - http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=142693 - I would consider the Toyota (and only the Toyota) extended warranty. They do one or two year packages. The warranty has recently changed and I don't think it now includes the Toyota roadside assistance as standard (previously it included this) - so also consider that you may have to pay additionally for this (64 pounds if paying by annual direct debit, 68 if paying by other means). Think also if you take out the extended warranty before the original warranty expires, it is slightly cheaper.

I'm wondering whether it is generally worth it to take out a further period of cover now that the new car warranty will be expiring then.

Honestly, do people actually search the forum or Google before asking or do we have to suffer the ignominy of having to read these threads every few months asking if warranty renewal is worth it?

If the OP can't be bothered to even read the threads only a few days old that appear on the forum first page and include the words AYGO and MMT and WARRANTY - you have to wonder...seriously, does this question need to be asked with my thread only a few lines down?

I'm wondering whether it is generally worth it to take out a further period of cover now that the new car warranty will be expiring then.

Honestly, do people actually search the forum or Google before asking or do we have to suffer the ignominy of having to read these threads every few months asking if warranty renewal is worth it?

If the OP can't be bothered to even read the threads only a few days old that appear on the forum first page and include the words AYGO and MMT and WARRANTY - you have to wonder...seriously, does this question need to be asked with my thread only a few lines down?

Well I'm so sorry you feel "shame or disgrace" (the meaning of igominy) when you read my post. What a strange response - and you really don't have to suffer it - why open the thread if it gives you such distress?

I

Considering the fact that you have the MMT gearbox and in light of the following topic - http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=142693 - I would consider the Toyota (and only the Toyota) extended warranty. They do one or two year packages. The warranty has recently changed and I don't think it now includes the Toyota roadside assistance as standard (previously it included this) - so also consider that you may have to pay additionally for this (64 pounds if paying by annual direct debit, 68 if paying by other means). Think also if you take out the extended warranty before the original warranty expires, it is slightly cheaper.

Thank you for your helpful response.

I had the first MOT done last week (it's due on 18th January which is when my 3-year guarantee runs out). It passed its MOT, but there is an advisory "engine front baffle plate leaking oil" - I was told this was so minor as to not be anything to be concerned about. I've only done just over 9000 miles.

I have been reading through what is covered on an extended warranty and it says "oil leaks", so now I'm wondering if oil leaks would have been covered under the original 3-year warranty? If they are then I've only got a few days to get onto them. Can anybody help on this point please?

Thank you.

I would go back to them anyway. The Toyota three year warranty doesn't list what is included (like the extended warranty does), but does list exclusions - oil leaks aren't an exclusion. Go back to them, remind them the new car warranty is still in force, that this should cover oil leaks, and you want the leak attended to (it may be minor now but these things rarely go away) as you don't want oil on your driveway. If the answer is negative, point out that oil leaks are covered under the Toyota extended warranty which you intend taking out.

Could be that they have just assumed the 3 year warranty has already expired

I would go back to them anyway. The Toyota three year warranty doesn't list what is included (like the extended warranty does), but does list exclusions - oil leaks aren't an exclusion. Go back to them, remind them the new car warranty is still in force, that this should cover oil leaks, and you want the leak attended to (it may be minor now but these things rarely go away) as you don't want oil on your driveway. If the answer is negative, point out that oil leaks are covered under the Toyota extended warranty which you intend taking out.

Could be that they have just assumed the 3 year warranty has already expired

Thank you - I just tried to contact them but the service manager is not in until Monday. I'll try again then and let you know how I get on.

Edited to add - rang again and spoke to somebody else and they confirmed this is definitely a warranty repair - car now booked in.

PHEW!!!

As regards the extended warranty, you used to be able to buy directly from Toyota - but now you have to go through a dealer. So as you've got the car booked in, get a quote for the extended warranty. As I said, if you buy before the new car warranty runs out, it works out slightly cheaper.

Well I'm so sorry you feel "shame or disgrace" (the meaning of igominy) when you read my post. What a strange response - and you really don't have to suffer it - why open the thread if it gives you such distress?

Your question comes up often; the value of the Toyota Warranty is pretty much self evident especially if your car has already benefitted from expensive warranty work already. By repeatedly posting the same threads it is shameful/disgraceful because it shows lack of courtesy to others who have posted and commented on in similar threads because if they had been read then a new thread would not be needed.

Anyhow, if one must have a warranty then the only one worth having (note not cheap but worth as in value for money) is the manufacturer provided one. Also you can buy the Toyota extended warranty from Toyota directly because Dealers are more likely to offer their own group backed one which is no good (IMHO).

However, I apologise to the OP for any offence caused, my tone was terse but not meant to offend.

Happy New Year people!

Up to approx. September/October 2012, Toyota had the extended warranty price list and application process for buying the extended warranty on their website. Since Toyota re-aligned the extended warranty, the website refers prospective purchasers to their local dealer. When I was considering an extended warranty for my 59 reg Auris, I had no problem obtaining a quote for a Toyota extended warranty from my supplying dealer, and there was no pressure to buy anything else. As it was, I bought a new car. So Sadge, if you enquire about an extended warranty at your local dealer, just make sure that it is the official Toyota extended warranty that you are being quoted for.

Up to approx. September/October 2012, Toyota had the extended warranty price list and application process for buying the extended warranty on their website. Since Toyota re-aligned the extended warranty, the website refers prospective purchasers to their local dealer.

On another thread someone said Toyota were now insisting dealers use 'Toyota' lubricants for servicing. Maybe they are now tightening control in general of their dealerships.