Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8Vvti Gearbox Bearing Failure !

IJD

Hi

Having just been informed by my mechanic that the gearbox bearings are on there way out and the fact my vehicle will be the 4th one he's done ,is this a known common fault and if so have I any comeback with Toyota.

A very expensive repair !!!!

Vehicle has full service history and has only done 62000 ,2006 model.

Cheers

did he report it back to you as a finding or did you take it to him especially for this noise/fault.

seems suspect that he has done done 4 already, what did he quote you?

when toyota did mine i was told that if car still had toyota waranty then it would be covered but as car was 4 years old and done 63000 miles it wasent covered.price when done was £1168 which they knocked down to £1044 as the first quoted me around £1000,but they ment £1000 + vat.as in my other post ive got a 5 year waranty with carcraft but they refused to do it under warenty as it was "wear and tare", but after complaining to there customer care manager i got 50% of my final bill back off them as a gesture of goodwill.

did he report it back to you as a finding or did you take it to him especially for this noise/fault.

seems suspect that he has done done 4 already, what did he quote you?

it was taken in originally for a MOT and full service and I mentioned about the annoying noise which only had developed over the last few months.

Know where your coming from but he's a genuine guy and will put me a clutch in as well for just under a £1000 including VAT.

However its in for it,s steering check soon(product recall!) and I might as well have a second opinion whilst its there!

when toyota did mine i was told that if car still had toyota waranty then it would be covered but as car was 4 years old and done 63000 miles it wasent covered.price when done was £1168 which they knocked down to £1044 as the first quoted me around £1000,but they ment £1000 + vat.as in my other post ive got a 5 year waranty with carcraft but they refused to do it under warenty as it was "wear and tare", but after complaining to there customer care manager i got 50% of my final bill back off them as a gesture of goodwill.

How loud was the rumbling .........In fact how would you best describe the noise ?

My ears are not the best (i have tinitus)but it reminds of an engine pinking sound that only disappears once the clutch is engauged!

quite loud when taking power from about 1500 revs sounded like a drumming/humming noise that got louder the faster you got.noise came from passenger side footwell.the only reason i noticed it was i had just took a phonecall (handsfree) and had not yet turned my radio back up.mine was just the 4/5 bearing and they changed the clutch realese bearing as well.

I also had gearbox bearing failier on my old corolla at 60.000 miles (layshaft bearings) if i remember right a heavy rattle at idle coming from passenger side footwell ,mechanic told me this must be sorted asap to avoid gearcase damage .

Cheers guys .........Its interesting to know that in both cases the sound originates from the passenger footwell which is unlike my situation.

The sound seems like its coming from behind the heater !