Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problems 2.0 D4D

ghsaunders40

Hi

Just an update - sorry for late reply.

Had the valve fitted and new software updated - whilst it did start OK, I am not 100% sure its made much difference as I think there is still a slight bit of hesitance - only time will tell.

The dealer gave me a certificate which showed the old and new software version - can anyone confirm that either 1) the software that has been put on is the latest, or 2) whether or not the old software had in fact been updated at some point?

Old Software - 30245400

New Software - 302V0000

I'm sure that you need at least software 302V0000 for the increased fuel pressure, but just wondered whether my old one was in fact old, or whether ive done a backwards step!

Thanks all

• Like 1

From my previous experiences cold start issues on the AD series engines are usually caused by faulty/failing suction control valves. There is a TSB regarding poor startability which describes how to test the valves and modified scv's are available along with a software update to cure these issues. Your local Toyota dealer should be able to assist.

Devon

Hi Devon,

My '07 Auris 2.0 D4D suffers from the same problem, but my locat dealer in Basingstoke could find no problems on computer, nor could they find any TSB about poor starting for the ADE-150 engine neither. Researching Toyota-tech.eu listed nothing either. Can you supply the TSB code, or point me to where it is listed please?

Ooop! Never Mind. I found it above. Silly me. ^_^

• 4 months later...

Hi, I also have this starting problem, rather than replacing with a new modified valve, will replacing with a new old style valve rectify the problem?

Hi, I also have this starting problem, rather than replacing with a new modified valve, will replacing with a new old style valve rectify the problem?

That is precisely what I've just done last week after the old girl did its party piece in a cold snap overnight. Cost me 104 quid delivered and five minutes to replace.

Too early to tell if it's been successful or not, it's only been down to 4 degrees since but it started fine that time. We shall see.....

Diesels I've owned although it shouldn't be necessary if the glow plugs or their control are working properly. Even if it were only one faulty glow plug I would still expect the engine to start without that one heating up.

http://www.casesam.co.uk
http://www.ourcase.co.uk

Hi Everyone:

I can report that we, my son and I, did eventually get the new, or rather the replacment longer SCV and installed it as instructed. The result was improved starting and after making an appointment with my local Toyota dealer for the software update it's starting even better. No more blue, or white smoke and sluggish startings even in the recent cold weather of late. Installation was easy once we removed the air filter and feeder hose to the Turbocharger. ('07 Auris). Oddly the dealer Service Supervisor didn't know about the Service Bulletin for fixing this problem which surprised me actually seeing as it's Toyota's own site for their technicians so I gave him a copy from the site and he later confirmed it to be correct, which annoyed me a little that he would have had to do that, but nevermind. The Software upgrade version is the 302V0000 version. They said it took 45 minutes to download and install blaming the speed of their internet, but I think it was just an excuse to charge us £145 all in. ¬_¬

However the end result seems to be it was worth it, so far. We'll see how it holds up through the really cold days to come, but so far-so good. ~_^

Hi Everyone:

I can report that we, my son and I, did eventually get the new, or rather the replacment longer SCV and installed it as instructed. The result was improved starting and after making an appointment with my local Toyota dealer for the software update it's starting even better. No more blue, or white smoke and sluggish startings even in the recent cold weather of late. Installation was easy once we removed the air filter and feeder hose to the Turbocharger. ('07 Auris). Oddly the dealer Service Supervisor didn't know about the Service Bulletin for fixing this problem which surprised me actually seeing as it's Toyota's own site for their technicians so I gave him a copy from the site and he later confirmed it to be correct, which annoyed me a little that he would have had to do that, but nevermind. The Software upgrade version is the 302V0000 version. They said it took 45 minutes to download and install blaming the speed of their internet, but I think it was just an excuse to charge us £145 all in. ¬_¬

However the end result seems to be it was worth it, so far. We'll see how it holds up through the really cold days to come, but so far-so good. ~_^

Well that should at least answer dj_wymo's concerns about the correct revision level of the software.

He said that the dealer had given him a certificate showing the old and new software version

Old Software - 30245400

New Software - 302V0000

and asked whether whether his old one was in fact old, or whether he'd done a backwards step!

• 4 months later...
On 2013年2月5日 at 4:33 AM, Cuba Libre said:

Hi,

I had the same problem. Poor start with cold day, engine sometimes only puff-puff and stall (blue-white smoke). In last three years I changed glow plugs, battery, overhaul fuel pump, bought new injectors, bought fuel warmer etc. But everything without effect. Now I found where is problem. If you have a small SCV valve on fuel pump (called Compact SCV) try this home made diagnostic: warm up SCV valve before starting in cold day using hot water or hot airgun (about 80°C). When engine start for first time, piston in SCV valve is seized (rather chill diminishes tolerance and piston seized). Denso prepare new version of SCV valve, please wait few days, I prepare complete guide with pictures, order numbers and Denso service manual.

P.S. I´m sorry for my english, because I´m from Czech Republic :-)

Edit: 6.2.2013 - Here is part number: new one - 0422626020 (replace old 042260L030)

After replace SCV, you must make Supply Pump Initialization Procedure - see enclosed Denso Repair Manual, Repair Section/2.Diagnostic Overview/2-113 to 2-115.

I make this process with Toyota IT II (Intelligent Tester),

(Intelligent Tester II will be replaced by autoboss otc toyota global techstream gts for toyota and lexus)

OTC GTS (IT3) Features and function:

1. GTS is based-on-Windows software and specially designed for Toyota and Lexus.
2. VIM is connected to the vehicle when the technician use GTS to diagnose.
3. ”Legacy” module can work with all DLC3 (OBDII) port from 1it993
4. Own all the function of”ITII” except Oscilloscope and voltmeters function.
5. User-friendly graphical User Interface displays the trouble codes on the PC monitor, it is easy tounderstand.
6. Its memory is larger than that of”ITII”.

What’s the difference between OTC/GTS and IT2:

http://blog.obdtool.co.uk/autoboss-toyota-gts-news-and-how-to-install-autoboss-otc-vim/

I think that this way is better than connecting terminals TC and CG..

After replacing SCV during calibration were two random errors. Both of these errors concerned Air Mass sensor and Intake Air Temperature. I erased all this errors three times during calibration. Now is everything OK.

Torque for SCV bolts is 6,9Nm first, 10,8Nm second.

post-71933-0-02703800-1360097192_thumb.j

post-71933-0-24245600-1360098588_thumb.j

post-71933-0-39682200-1360098606_thumb.j

post-71933-0-26880700-1360098621_thumb.j

post-71933-0-36355800-1360098652_thumb.j

DENSO CR SERVICE MANUAL.pdf

• 1 year later...

Well bought the new SCV, 04226-26020 and the car will not start with it installed, just keeps turning over. Tried to install it without the adaptor and it starts but doesn't rev. Please someone help, going out my head trying to understand why it won't start with the new one installed

22 hours ago, chrismorrow said:

Well bought the new SCV, 04226-26020 and the car will not start with it installed, just keeps turning over. Tried to install it without the adaptor and it starts but doesn't rev. Please someone help, going out my head trying to understand why it won't start with the new one installed

Hi Chris

Strange that should happen however that adapter is required because the diameter of the piston is smaller than the original. if it's somehow sticking and can not move that could cause it to inhibit the engine from getting fuel which is why it's not starting. Try removng the SCV and cleaning out the hole it sits in with a babybud and cleaning fluid and reinstall with the adapter again and try it again. I presume you had also pumped fuel into the system from the hand pump on top of the fuel filter housing to clear out the air that has ingressed during the change out. Also once this does work you still have to get the ECU software ungrade too. Another thing to consider is pulling the EGR valve and give it a good clean to remove the sticky black gunge that forms round it. That can cause starting problems too. ~_^

On a different note or rather as a update to my son's Auris, sadly that engine was also one of those that had bad piston rings installed when built at the factory which was also one of the reasons it smoked on heavy exceleration and which had a recall on up to 2011. He unfortunately bought the car in 2014 well out of that time. The car is in such good condition other wise, and it only had roughly 96,000 on the clock at the time that he decided, instead of scrapping it, to have a Toyota remanufactured replacement engine  installed, the same one that would have been installed when in recall, Toyota gave us the bill at cost which saved him a little over £2000 from what it is suppose to cost normally. But we made sure the new engine had the new SCV, as well as new injectors installed as well. Of course now it runs like new again. ^_^

• 3 months later...

The hot water test worked and I finally know where is the problem.

Thank you very much Cuba Libre!

Portugal

2006 Avensis 2.0 D4D 126 

• 4 weeks later...

Ours kept doing this party trick and in the end I got sick of it and traded it in for a 2015 petrol 1.6 VMatic Auris instead. If Toyota hadn't got funny about it denying it was even a known issue and refusing to do the update it would've been fine. All said and done though the old girl never actually fully let us down because of this cold start issue, it always started up after three or four goes once you got the knack of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm this is the correct scv for my 2007 auris 2.0 d4d. Thanks in advance 

Screenshot_20180121-125941.png

Hy

i have the 2.2 l D4D AURIS  from 2008 it the SCV part no. the same 0422626020 or i need difrent from de 2.0 l version ?

1 hour ago, Otawok said:

Hy

i have the 2.2 l D4D AURIS  from 2008 it the SCV part no. the same 0422626020 or i need difrent from de 2.0 l version ?

Part is the same only the 2.2 Rav4 uses a different part.

On 26/10/2015 at 7:54 PM, ADSrox0r said:

That is precisely what I've just done last week after the old girl did its party piece in a cold snap overnight. Cost me 104 quid delivered and five minutes to replace.

Too early to tell if it's been successful or not, it's only been down to 4 degrees since but it started fine that time. We shall see.....

Did this work or did you end up getting the new scv and ecu update? 

14 minutes ago, Tjohnson said:

Did this work or did you end up getting the new scv and ecu update? 

Ultimately no, it didn't cure it. It made it less prone to doing it but nonetheless it still did it enough to irritate me into getting rid and replacing it with the newer petrol model.

You need to have the new SCV put in and have the ECU update to cure the issue once and for all (Emphasis on 'have', no point replacing the SCV yourself because it needs the ECU update otherwise the car won't start. And only Toyota can do that for you)

1 hour ago, ADSrox0r said:

Ultimately no, it didn't cure it. It made it less prone to doing it but nonetheless it still did it enough to irritate me into getting rid and replacing it with the newer petrol model.

You need to have the new SCV put in and have the ECU update to cure the issue once and for all (Emphasis on 'have', no point replacing the SCV yourself because it needs the ECU update otherwise the car won't start. And only Toyota can do that for you)

Much appreciated. I spoke to my local Toyota dealer and they want £634. £374 for the scv alone. Tried to tell me its a 3 hour job. What a joke!  its a hour for the ecu update and ten minutes to change the scv. I can't find anywhere to get the new scv from as apparently its a dealer only part. Looks like I'm going to have to stump up. Thanks for your reply. 

I'm afraid so. Drop the guys at Dieselpartsdirect a line though and see if they can get hold of the SCV, I've dealt with them before and they're very helpful. If they can source it cheaper you can take it down to the Toyota garage, fit it (takes 2 minutes, literally) and they can do the update and that might make it cheaper for you.

2 minutes ago, ADSrox0r said:

I'm afraid so. Drop the guys at Dieselpartsdirect a line though and see if they can get hold of the SCV, I've dealt with them before and they're very helpful. If they can source it cheaper you can take it down to the Toyota garage, fit it (takes 2 minutes, literally) and they can do the update and that might make it cheaper for you.

Thanks I'll give them a try. 

40 minutes ago, ADSrox0r said:

Before going down this avenue, I would check with the dealer that they will fit a part purchased from elsewhere. Hopefully they will agree ....... but they may not.

Oh I wouldn't let them charge for fitting it, pull into their garage whip it out (two bolts and a plug job done) and pop the new one in and let them crack on with the ECU update (open driver door, plug in adapter to OBD2 port, press 'update' and go have a brew for ten minutes)

Back with new info. my dealer wont agree to change he valve  SCV 0422626020 it's not for my car that what they say ,but they update the software.My car is 2.2 l  177 hp from 2008.When the service will be done, i come back with more info. Hopefully will start in the cold without issue.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Can someone confirm if the photo is the correct valve for my Auris 2007 2.0? Thank youScreenshot_20180202-184406.thumb.jpg.86bb74231253ae02b7ee2883124721ed.jpg