Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problems 2.0 D4D

ghsaunders40

My SCV color is like old one but I am not sure for the shape and connector direction...I will check.

Best get your car booked into Toyota as there is updated ECU software to be installed along with the modified valve, otherwise the valve may not operate well for long, you will need minimum software version 302v0000

I don't know if my SCV is modified or not. How to recognize it?

In Techstream/ Health Check Results I see Engine and ECT- Calibration 30554100. Is this software version?

Yes 30554100 is your software version with the latest version being 305B7000 if your profile info is correct as a 2006 2.0 UK 1AD-FTV

• Like 1

heck the length of the chrome bit. The new one is longer. And also the new one has a 1/4" washer on it......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Toyota OC mobile app

post-64213-139569781351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes 30554100 is your software version with the latest version being 305B7000 if your profile info is correct as a 2006 2.0 UK 1AD-FTV

Yes my profile info is correct. Is the newest version related just with new SCV or has other improvements as well? I mean is there any point to update it?

heck the length of the chrome bit. The new one is longer. And also the new one has a 1/4" washer on it......

Few months ago I cleaned the SCV and as long as I remember no washer, so probably is old version...

Yes my profile info is correct. Is the newest version related just with new SCV or has other improvements as well? I mean is there any point to update it?

30554100 is a really old software version 305B7000 Includes quiet a lot updates for:

P0088 & P0093 Misdetection issues

P0400 EGR issues

Rough idle, black smoke, excessive cold start rattle

Excessive oil consumption

Along with many others

The latest update along with the modified SCV valve allows the car to increase the cold start fuel pressure from 50bar upto 100bar to prevent future cold start issues this only possible with the modified valve and updated software, any other combo i.e. new valve old software/ old valve new software will still only be able to use 50bar.

• Like 1

30554100 is a really old software version 305B7000 Includes quiet a lot updates for:

P0400 EGR issues

Along with many others

The latest update along with the modified SCV valve allows the car to increase the cold start fuel pressure from 50bar upto 100bar to prevent future cold start issues this only possible with the modified valve and updated software, any other combo i.e. new valve old software/ old valve new software will still only be able to use 50bar.

I have no mentioned issues. I've got just one different- short knocking when overload engine at very low revs (1000-1300). It is usually at cold weather/engine but not allwais...

Anyway I don't intend to change SCV/software because probably is expensive and as I said I have no other problems.

P0400 EGR issues

Along with many others

How much does the software update typically cost? I've put a new SCV in w/o a software update and still have problems on starting. I think this will be solved by the fuel pressure update as when I put ignition on and pump the accelerator a few times, the car starts without issue.

It cost me £45+vat.

The valve cost me £250+vat.

Spoke to my local toyota dealer and they quoted me £99+VAT for the software update and were '99% sure it wouldn't change fuel pressure'.

Wasted, has this sorted out your starting issue?

Only had it done yesterday but so far every push of the button the car has started straight away. I will know for sure over the next two mornings as it's gonna be 0°C tomorrow and 1°c on Thursday... I'll let you know how it behaves...

I will check my bill when I get home and clarify how much the ecu update was.....

EDIT : in fact I'm sure it was only 45+vat...because I had the valve at £250+vat, ecu update 45+vat and my brake fluid changed at £39+vat....My final bill was £393

Edit update........So far with all the chilly and damp mornings the car has started first time every time. So I can safely say, this scv change and ecu update fixed all my starting problems.........and as Edd China says. " Job Done".

• Like 1

Edit update........So far with all the chilly and damp mornings the car has started first time every time. So I can safely say, this scv change and ecu update fixed all my starting problems.........and as Edd China says. " Job Done".

Glad to hear it :) I've noticed my startup issues are not as bad as before (fewer presses of accelerator required before starting) but still there. Now just to find a dealer who isnt charging me over twice the amount for a software update. :disgust:

Maybe I got a deal on the cost as I was having the valve changed at the same time......

• 1 month later...

From my previous experiences cold start issues on the AD series engines are usually caused by faulty/failing suction control valves. There is a TSB regarding poor startability which describes how to test the valves and modified scv's are available along with a software update to cure these issues. Your local Toyota dealer should be able to assist.

Devon

Hi,

I had the same problem. Poor start with cold day, engine sometimes only puff-puff and stall (blue-white smoke). In last three years I changed glow plugs, battery, overhaul fuel pump, bought new injectors, bought fuel warmer etc. But everything without effect. Now I found where is problem. If you have a small SCV valve on fuel pump (called Compact SCV) try this home made diagnostic: warm up SCV valve before starting in cold day using hot water or hot airgun (about 80°C). When engine start for first time, piston in SCV valve is seized (rather chill diminishes tolerance and piston seized). Denso prepare new version of SCV valve, please wait few days, I prepare complete guide with pictures, order numbers and Denso service manual.

P.S. I´m sorry for my english, because I´m from Czech Republic :-)

Edit: 6.2.2013 - Here is part number: new one - 0422626020 (replace old 042260L030)

After replace SCV, you must make Supply Pump Initialization Procedure - see enclosed Denso Repair Manual, Repair Section/2.Diagnostic Overview/2-113 to 2-115.

I make this process with Toyota IT II (Intelligent Tester), I think that this way is better than connecting terminals TC and CG..

After replacing SCV during calibration were two random errors. Both of these errors concerned Air Mass sensor and Intake Air Temperature. I erased all this errors three times during calibration. Now is everything OK.

Torque for SCV bolts is 6,9Nm first, 10,8Nm second.

Well I've taken the plunge and decided to book my car in on 24th to have this valve changed. Thanks guys for the info and advice. I will let you know if it fixes my starting problem or if I've just given Mr T. £300 of my hard earn cash....

@Wasteden, I am having similar issues with my auris, did u pay for £300 for everything or just the valve? Just got off the phone from toyota and they want £300.50 for the part and £250 to fit it:(...

Which to be honest sounds ridiculous, to pay £300 for a valve and 3h of labour when they dont need to disassemble nothing in the car, they claim it takes 3h to replace the valve....

Which toyota did you got this from?

Whats the worst it can happen if this is left for a while, my car has been like this for nearly two months, but it always starts first time, just has trouble starting when cold.

Regards

From my previous experiences cold start issues on the AD series engines are usually caused by faulty/failing suction control valves. There is a TSB regarding poor startability which describes how to test the valves and modified scv's are available along with a software update to cure these issues. Your local Toyota dealer should be able to assist.

Devon

Hi,

I had the same problem. Poor start with cold day, engine sometimes only puff-puff and stall (blue-white smoke). In last three years I changed glow plugs, battery, overhaul fuel pump, bought new injectors, bought fuel warmer etc. But everything without effect. Now I found where is problem. If you have a small SCV valve on fuel pump (called Compact SCV) try this home made diagnostic: warm up SCV valve before starting in cold day using hot water or hot airgun (about 80°C). When engine start for first time, piston in SCV valve is seized (rather chill diminishes tolerance and piston seized). Denso prepare new version of SCV valve, please wait few days, I prepare complete guide with pictures, order numbers and Denso service manual.

Edit: 6.2.2013 - Here is part number: new one - 0422626020 (replace old 042260L030)

After replace SCV, you must make Supply Pump Initialization Procedure - see enclosed Denso Repair Manual, Repair Section/2.Diagnostic Overview/2-113 to 2-115.

I make this process with Toyota IT II (Intelligent Tester), I think that this way is better than connecting terminals TC and CG..

After replacing SCV during calibration were two random errors. Both of these errors concerned Air Mass sensor and Intake Air Temperature. I erased all this errors three times during calibration. Now is everything OK.

Well I've taken the plunge and decided to book my car in on 24th to have this valve changed. Thanks guys for the info and advice. I will let you know if it fixes my starting problem or if I've just given Mr T. £300 of my hard earn cash....

@Wasteden, I am having similar issues with my auris, did u pay for £300 for everything or just the valve? Just got off the phone from toyota and they want £300.50 for the part and £250 to fit it:(...

Which to be honest sounds ridiculous, to pay £300 for a valve and 3h of labour when they dont need to disassemble nothing in the car, they claim it takes 3h to replace the valve....

Whats the worst it can happen if this is left for a while, my car has been like this for nearly two months, but it always starts first time, just has trouble starting when cold.

Regards

3 hours is wrong the technical service bulletin allows a maximum of 1.1 hours to replace the valve and reprogramme the ECU

Devon

Hi,

Regards

Just answered you on your other thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm changing this valve resolves the starting problem

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know that aswell :)

I'd like to know that aswell :)

Can confirm changing the valve for the Modified SCV valve & ECU software version 302v0000 will solve the problem. As mentioned earlier in this thread, both are needed.

i think i may have resolved this issue with an alternative to the valve and program thing. basically i poured in a full bottle of 250ml "STP diesel injector cleaner" into a full tank of diesel. ever since the cars been starting on the first turn doesnt matter how long that little light stays on for. however ive now switched from STP to REDEX which is more expensive and is like a premium quality cleaner. it states on the bottle it resolves starting problems. ive not had any starting issues since so its worth trying it for the sake of £5-10 before you buy this valve.

i think i may have resolved this issue with an alternative to the valve and program thing. basically i poured in a full bottle of 250ml "STP diesel injector cleaner" into a full tank of diesel. ever since the cars been starting on the first turn doesnt matter how long that little light stays on for. however ive now switched from STP to REDEX which is more expensive and is like a premium quality cleaner. it states on the bottle it resolves starting problems. ive not had any starting issues since so its worth trying it for the sake of £5-10 before you buy this valve.

That has been tried with BG244 Diesel Fuel and Injector Cleaner regularly, the performance is completely different to not using it in a positive way.

However eventually those same issues pop up once the temperatures dip during the colder months.

I think the best way around this is the tried and tested method of getting the Valve and ECU update.. Yes it's costly - but nothing else will work...

Can anyone provide a place where I can buy this valve at a decent price? I'll get the ECU update from Toyota.

Regarding fuel cleaners/additives, I tried wd40 directly into the SCV which resolved the problem for a short while, but after a few weeks it returned. I did the same with BG244 but again the fix was only temporary. Going by the posts by others here, the same has happened to them too so unfortunately it does seem the only way to get this sorted once and for all is to get the SCV replaced.

I was quoted £185+VAT for the SCV Valve and £90+VAT for labour + update to ECU. £330 in total incl VAT if I remember the total correctly.

It was from RRG Salford Quays.

I only seem to have the problem during the colder months, but pressing the clutch down, turning the key and continually giving it gas for about 5-10 seconds always works for me..

Then.. even if I turn the engine off and on again straight away the problem is non-existent unless the engine is off for several hours.

During Autumn, Spring and Summer the car is fine - I think I'll pass on this for the moment.

If I started mine up from cold, turned it off and restarted straight away, I would still get some noticeable stuttering the second time. Maybe not to the same extent as first start but it would be noticed. Pumping the gas before starting worked for a short time but then like the WD40 method, the problem came back and no amount of pressing accelerator could resolve.

It is an absolute pain in the *****, but seems an inevitability.

• 3 months later...

I have just had my SCVs replaced and mine is a 4.2 version

Is this updating of the ECU software exclusive to the newer versions, ie. 4.3 onwards

or do I need to get the software on mine updated?

I don’t recall reading about software updates for the 4.2

Anyone!